General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Brought home an Italian Twin

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Squid

midwest22 is on a distinguished road
Ive never been on a 996 (or 916, 998...hell, Ive never ridden any Duc) but its something Ive had my eye on since the 888. I tend to ride my bikes and have never been fond of the $1000 you need to drop every 6,000 miles. They remind me of an old Ferrari I had where the 30k tuneup cost $8k. Just not practical in my world (these days). With that said, I would love to have one!

Please give us your impressions as they compare to the SH!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
You know besides its killer good looks, its more power, its better handling and braking, its better suspension, its lighter weight, the ducati 996 really isn't that much different than the hawk 996.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, thats just too nice to ride. I dont know how anyone races one but they do. Its gotta be a while before you actually ride it w/o thinking of it. Nice.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by midwest22
Ive never been on a 996 (or 916, 998...hell, Ive never ridden any Duc) but its something Ive had my eye on since the 888. I tend to ride my bikes and have never been fond of the $1000 you need to drop every 6,000 miles. They remind me of an old Ferrari I had where the 30k tuneup cost $8k. Just not practical in my world (these days). With that said, I would love to have one!

I never did understand why people said Ducati's where expensive to service... During the three years I owned a 748 my only cost for service was oilfilters, oil and various other small part...

Like most bikes they come with a manual... If you read it, it says you need to check the valves, not adjust them all the time... And when you do need to adjust them, well it's not rocket science... But agreed, Honda's are a lot easier to work on...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah, thats just too nice to ride. I dont know how anyone races one but they do. Its gotta be a while before you actually ride it w/o thinking of it. Nice.
Hand over the keys and point me to a track and I'll race it... It's a bike, not a deity...

Now a Norton Rotary, or a Desmosedici, or an oldschool GP500 bike... That's a work of art...

Doesn't mean I wouldn't race anyone of them if I had the chance though... Would probably scare myself half to death, but it's worth it...

BTW I did get the chance to take a Honda NSR GP500 replica around a track for a few laps... Quite a lot tamer than the real deal according to a former GP500 pilot who tried the same bike... Well enough to make me take it easy though...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-27-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My ridding/surfing buddy has a 2002 yellow 998 he bought new. The body work and frame look identical to your 996. He has Termignoni carbon fiber exhaust, dry clutch and turn signals removed front and rear. I don't know how he keeps from getting pulled over, but it's never happened to him. He also has a red 851, but he says the 998 handles much better. That single sided swing arm sure looks nice.

I need to trade with him one of these days when we're on a ride. But I don't think he'll like the way my VTR handles, especially since my suspension is stock and he weighs 50 pounds more than me.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
You are missing the point... It's a bike... If I owned it, it would get flogged like any other bike... The guys in Bologna intended it that way...
when riding, it's like it's laughing at me and saying "that's all you got?"......this bike was definitely made to be ridden hard

Originally Posted by midwest22

considering this won't be my daily rider, the maint. costs isn't a big concern.......

I'll post up more as I get more time to ride on some decent roads (if I can find any here on the KS/MO border). so far, riding position isn't as extreme as most people tend to cry about. I need to get more than an hour in the saddle at a time though to know for sure.

It's definitely not made for around town...feels heavy steering at low speeds and the undertail exhaust gets pretty warm when you get stuck in traffic. all this goes away when you get going...the smile comes back as soon as you twist that grip too

power is great, and deceptive....smooth throughout the rev range and it never feels like you're getting a huge rush at any particular rpm and above...it's just strong all the way through. it doesn't like to lug along at <3000 rpm though (which the Superhawk doesn't tend to complain about). she revs very quick.

braking puts the Hawk to shame (that was expected though).

I haven't done enough yet to comment on suspension feel, although it's handled some bumps at a decent lean angle with no problem.

I'll try and keep my thoughts together and do a few same day comparison rides on the same routes and let you guys know more

tell you what, the Duc is one hell of a head turner
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sassage
tell you what, the Duc is one hell of a head turner
I hear you. My buddy, on one of his Ducs, always gets the looks anywhere we go. But since I got my Yoshimura titanium slip-ons, with the street baffles removed, I get a few looks as well.

When we get in tight twisties, I don't even try to keep up if he's leading. But he's been impressed with the punch I get out of corners, when I'm in front.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Squid

midwest22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I never did understand why people said Ducati's where expensive to service... During the three years I owned a 748 my only cost for service was oilfilters, oil and various other small part...

Like most bikes they come with a manual... If you read it, it says you need to check the valves, not adjust them all the time... And when you do need to adjust them, well it's not rocket science... But agreed, Honda's are a lot easier to work on...
As I was about to buy one from the Ducati dealership about 6 years ago I had the sales person go over the service intervals and their associated costs. With the miles I was going to put on it (compared to my VFR) it was going to cost approx $3000 for 18k miles (first service and 3 valve 'checks', which I dont do myself because Id rather ride than wrench). Needless to say, I didnt get one. Now Im not putting on nearly as many miles so I could justify it.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM
MotoGP

I did ~5000 miles in three years on that 748... And during that time it did not return to any dealer for any service... During that time it needed adjustment on the valves once... And when I sold it the buyer had it checked by a duc mechanic, who commented that the engine was "as new"...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
service intervals on the newer ducs for valve clearance check is 7.5k miles with belt replacement at 15k miles...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
service intervals on the newer ducs for valve clearance check is 7.5k miles with belt replacement at 15k miles...
oahu, How many laps around the Island to rack up 7.5k miles?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
oahu, How many laps around the Island to rack up 7.5k miles?

plenny brah...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Yeah, and on the early 748's it was every 3000 km or 1860 miles... So I did check them 3 times during that time, only adjusted them once though...