Bought a ducati - and got to ride my old bike

Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Bought a ducati - and got to ride my old bike

Name:  newbike.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  496.4 KB

Sold my longterm SH last fall to a riding friend. then got a great deal on a used ducati 999R late last year - it is an amazing bike and for being a honda guy my whole life I realize there is more to ducati brand than simply posing - the 999 series in particular is well made, the R even more special - fit/finish and controls all honda-like or better. And the bike just makes you want to ride. Its a different passion then honda seems to be infusing especially lately.

Anyway, we got to ride together this weekend a bit and we swapped bikes and it was fun riding the SH again. Thought you might be interested in hearing the impressions.

Suprisingly for being a much older design, after modifications the differences weren't that great. They both sound great. The duc is more sporty, the modded SH engine pulls nearly the same till 8-8500 or so, and then the ducati is stronger and goes to near 10500. The duc engine is much more smoother especially on the gas - its revs out forever by comparison which is where the power difference comes. The suspension with RC forks and penske shock on the SH wasn't very different then the ohlins 999R. The duc is super stable though and the more front weight bias really noticeably adds much more feel (but the SH has superbike bar conversion - the clipons and raising the forks might help that a lot). And the duc just feels much more slim and smaller all around. Fit and finish on the duc is better, brakes are awesome but grabbier compared to the RC brakes and 1000RR MC on the SH. As expected, the SH with bars is much more comfy, the mirrors with extenders actually work! The duc are cliche unbelievably useless. You can get a glimpse behind you looking under your armpit through the mirror. Overall, looks aside, the SH holds up pretty well considering age but this one has also been modified a lot. If I still owned it, I would now go back to clipons, lower the front a bit and maybe figure a way to lower the seat (the nava tailpiece really raises the rear ride height whcih is raising the already high CG a bit more). Still the SH is a great bike and its nice to know with modding it can still be a very high functioning bike.

I lucked out finding this barely used, 2500 mile xerox duc (still had original tires with 2 inch chicken strips all around) at the very end of season in very rural america for an unbelievable price, so I'm happy.

Still read this forum and still think its unique in the level of helpfulness and enthusiasm. I have learned more here then any other forum out there. And the tone thankfully still stays mostly away from political rants etc. keep it up.

bill
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Hi Bill,

Hope all has been going well with you and yours.

Nice bike, it does look nice and good comparison write up.

Looks like you will be having a bit of fun still....lol
Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
what a find! thats a hell of a bike man

its good to know the hawk is still around in MN! there arent many of us here... im in way northern mn on the north shore in grand marais, if you are ever up here and wanna hit HWY 1 let me know... its like heaven

thanks for the impressions, for affordability the hawk is an incredible bike and like you said put some love and money into it and it becomes a really comparable bike to the more expensive "higher end" bikes out there
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I really enjoyed reading your comparison of 999R and the VTR.
The 999R is a stunning find. Congratulations and I'm very glad you're enjoying it.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
that bike is unbelievable. I love it. You won one huh. You won't have to worry about upgrades because it's already there. Just keep it maintained and have fun riding it.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
thanks guys. I feel lucky to found it and so far very fun.
Miss the site.

Mike all doing well, hope you are as well.

bill
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Bill,
Great find. That is one of my Fav Ducati's too. Great find for sure. I keep my radar open for those bikes to buy also. Definitely cheap to buy at the moment. You know it will be a collects item. I see them sell for 12,000-15,000 on average. But if you hunt around you can find a better price occasionally. Bike is set up pretty awesome from the factory. Also I think they were close to $30,000 dollars new? also some had full carbon firbe bodywork under all that red paint?
Enjoy, that's a really nice ride you have there.