General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bonneville!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Bonneville!

Well guys, I've got an idea. just an inkling of a twinge of a thought in the way backs of my mind... you see in speed week at the salt flats, they have these challenges, and I have my sights on two of them.

First: 130mph club, you have 1 mile to go from 0-130mph, and you have to be able to do it twice. if you hit 141 you're disqualified. Sounds easy enough, but I was reading that some older corvettes, porsches, mustangs, etc. were all coming up short. That said, I'm fairly certain it would be reasonably easy on the hawk.

Second: 150mph club. you have 2 miles to go from 0-150mph. this would be a bit trickier I think, and since 1980, there have been only 11 members. (Clearly the membership is not terribly sought after) However, I think this would be one hell of a weekend, and I think I'm going to attempt it in september. Any thoughts? Ideas? Anyone wanna come with??

http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have some friends who were there last Fall and went over 200 mph on a snowmobile (the first time a sled ran there). They said the experience was amazing. The big challenge is traction, the salt being almost like crystallized ice (the type you find on frozen lakes in late spring).
Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
I've been looking at some specs online... please tell me the stock top speed of our bikes isn't 148 mph...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
That sounds like fun. Good luck
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM
SpellCheck
Squid

SpellCheck is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that the Salt Flats are at about 4,000 feet of elevation, so you'll be down at least 10 percent on power (and salt will get everywhere on your bike). But Bonneville is an amazing place -- everyone should get there once, even just to spectate.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
I've raced at the Motorcycle Speed Trials by BUB for the last 3 seasons. Speed Week is cool, but you won't get many runs in due to all the cars and jet powered missiles and whatnot. The BUB event is a couple weeks later and is only bikes. They don't have brackets where your trying to stay within a certain range. But they do have a class called Run Watcha Brung. It's an excellent way to get familiar with the salt. Then go from there to see if you want to try for a record or whatever. IMO the bracket thing is not as fun as just going ***** out to see what you can do on the top end. WARNING: racing on the salt is the crack cocaine of motorcycling. One hit and your hooked. Anyway, I've got a lot of info on land speed racing if anyone cares to pick my brain, and your always welcome in my pit. I'll be there Aug 28th - Sept 2nd.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2009...ndex-2009.html