General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

BMW copying Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
BMW copying Honda?

Looking at a magazine a while back and couldn't help but notice the how similar the BMW F800S and the R1200S look to the Superhawk. I for one was guilty of saying the Hawk's looks are dated but evidently BMW still thought it had the right attributes. The styling is a little more edgey and modern and of course the engines are different. I wouldnt trade the Hawk for one.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
You are right, they do look similar...especially the F800s. It looks like the R1200S was inspired from a Ducati SS...at least the frame anyway
Old 04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Very interesting...Anyone got pics?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
There is 2 things a man should know how to use properly.

1.) Google
2.) ....I think you get the picture. =)

Just google BMW F800S!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Squid

jaws is on a distinguished road
pic

Originally Posted by The Hawk Guy
Very interesting...Anyone got pics?
Here is a pic of one.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
Personally I've never been a fan of BMW's styling, but I do really like how exposed the engine is. Thats my favorite part of the Hawk as well. Well, that and the sound you get when you whack the throttle, of course.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

For the money there are many, many and as I just said many other bikes I would purchase other than these bikes in question. BMW is asking $11000 for the F800S and something like $14000 for the R1200S. Either of those prices equates to TWO bikes in my mind. Would the BMW boys even accept you riding an inline twin?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
in terms of style and over all looks i have to agree. The two bike do have some features to be mirrored. however i did take a F800 for a spin and was very dissapointed. there is NO bottom end and it requires way to much input to get anything out of the motor. it did feel very flickable and responcive but that was about it. in terms of effort i would give them a B+. very wierd tank. back of the bike on the right side...single sided swing arm...very cool. gear indicator also MFD (multi function display) with things like DTE...(distance to empty) very cool and usefull. Over all score i would say B+/A-.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaws
Here is a pic of one.
Maybe if it were bigger I wouldn't think it was ugly as sin. Nah, that can't be right. Which one is that? Cuz I think my hawk is sexy, and that thing... ugh.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
Ok I can see some simularities.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I have to say you are right about some similarities on the design, but many economical bikes have such a design, kawis, suzukis, etc...
BMW are fine pieces of engineering, the only bike I would buy would be a BMW R1200s, they just drive awesome, last forever, comfortable like nothing I would like be seen driving and they just look like sex, different. But god I would have to irremediably mess my financial life to get one of these. So the hawk is here to stay.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Bmw

Some of my friends have BMW's a R1100rt,R1150r,and my mom and my sister both have the R1200c crusiers. Was that enough numbers for youand freaking letters for you.? I am disappointed in all of them. The gear box on every single one feels like there is rocks in it. For r1100rt's to be set up for touring as they are and to come with heated grips electric windshield and crap like that, they arent that comfortable. I have a 2003 Kawasaki Concours and yes it is as ugly as sin but i only paid 4500 for the damn thing and it is more comfortable than the beemers and they cost twice as much as kawis. I geuss when you have more money than you know what to do with you buy a beemer. (I am vented now thankyou). They sure do have a cult following though.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
And your Concours will walk away from them...
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
You have to admire BMWs efforts at increasing the performance of the R1200S. Imagine if honda had put such efforts into the superhawk.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

The VTR is no slouch in the performance dept. Its got enough power to still hang with most modern twins. We all give the VTR crap about its short commings but Honda made a geat bike from the beggining 10 years ago. From what I have read on this forum, simple mods give the bike even more performance. I myself see the latest and greatest bikes out there and want them, up until I get on the SH and then I remember why I love it.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rooster
The VTR is no slouch in the performance dept. Its got enough power to still hang with most modern twins. We all give the VTR crap about its short commings but Honda made a geat bike from the beggining 10 years ago. From what I have read on this forum, simple mods give the bike even more performance. I myself see the latest and greatest bikes out there and want them, up until I get on the SH and then I remember why I love it.
+1
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 PM
SuperBike

well, I agree its no slouch, (hanging with more modern Vtwins I'm not so sure about). But my point was in the 8 year cycle it wouldn't have taken much for honda to borrow some suspension parts from some other models, some brakes, maybe 10+ more horsepower and yet still retain the same character of the bike. On the other hand it is a lot of fun to tinker around on them and do it ourselves.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

My point is that different is good, I just love odd things and BMW does good in this department, as for the VTR it an Honda oddball, the engine is just an awesome piece, but with their price tags, they had to cut somewhere, so they came with carbs, 80's forks, saved on seat foam, tank sheetmetal, electrical components. But I still love my bike and would not trade it for any other, except the R1200S. but I ain't fork this much money.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
How about BMW copying KTM?

Here's the new Xmoto:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/20...oto_spec_s.jpg

Here's the Duke:
http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3707727331

Of course the Duke looks much better.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

I think we all agree on what you are saying Cliby (by the way what does that mean?). The sad thing is what we are all describing is the Aprilia Tuono or even the SV1000. I for one know it is still me that is the limiting factor not the bike in performance. When I can honestly say the bike is holding me back then I will look to better equipment.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
I for one know it is still me that is the limiting factor not the bike in performance. When I can honestly say the bike is holding me back then I will look to better equipment.
+1
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree. unless we are talking superbikes, I don't think bikes have gotten all that much better. fuel injected tho they may be. some of the current street oriented sportbikes still haven't surpassed the superhawk. (ie.SV1000) and within the group that the hawk belongs, ( z1000, 919, vfr, monsters, duc supersports, tuono, sv1000, speed triple) I don't see any major advantages. sure , maybe a few have higher hp numbers, (but not that much higher)or better suspension, (but not always much better) but that's about it. and with the exception of the k1200R/S, bmw still can't hang. I like the look of the 800. I even sat on one at the cycleworld show. but its no hawk. its a beast. the hawk is slim. and it doesn't have the hp to make it move like the hawk moves. nope. I am entirely open to the idea of a street focused bike coming out that just wins out against the hawk on all counts. but I haven't seen it yet. it says something about all of us that we have placed our loyalty in a bike that's almost 10 years old and we are justified in doing it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I would just be about time that Honda update our bike, I wonder if there is something on the drawing board...
..and agreed, nothing runs like a SH.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

I think we all agree on what you are saying Cliby (by the way what does that mean?). The sad thing is what we are all describing is the Aprilia Tuono or even the SV1000. I for one know it is still me that is the limiting factor not the bike in performance. When I can honestly say the bike is holding me back then I will look to better equipment.
have to agree with you there. and while that are lots more modern bikes, none of them have been tempting enough for me to make the leap. I guess its all about technophilia, or whatever it is that makes us like progress. I know I couldn't give up the vtwin midrange. cliby is just my name.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
who's coping who?

There was a response from a reader in motorcylist a few issues back, he had felt that the new Ducati 1098 was a blatent copy of the Yamaha R1. Whaa Whaaa Whhaaaat??? How soon we forget. When the R1 was released in 98', It was an outright shame how much it looked like a Ducati 916, (oh so humbley of me). The Fregin' 2005 R1 might as well be a japanese mirror held up to the 916.

Anyone think the Shawk looks like a 1991 Ducati 900ss.....Huuuummm??

So who really does lead the way for the others to follow?

1 vote for Italy, plus I adore Alpinestars products.
VINO!

Damn, the last pic is a 851, sooo soooo sooorrrryyy, wanted a 900ss in that spot
Old 04-13-2007, 06:37 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yeah with all that wine the Italians really gets lots of inspiration. Hickup, ask me how I know ??
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
I do love a good Zin