General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Any BMW riders here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Squid

BeemerGuy
Any BMW riders here?

I ride a Beemer R1100RS and am giving serious thought to adding a VTR to the garage based on what I see, read and like in a bike. I've also spent a little time on a Duc 749S, BMW R1100S and K1200S (Fast!).

Problem is, I haven't had the chance to ride a VTR and likely won't for a while, given it's February in Michigan. In the meantime, anyone here familiar with the R1100RS (or the others I mentioned)? How's the ride compare to a VTR? Thanks for any thoughts!

Ken
Old 02-18-2006, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey beemerguy, welcome aboard. Although I've never riden any of the bikes you have listed,(the only BMW was an R80 or something) I would say it would be most like the Ducati since that's the company they were going after. It probably won't handle as well but has better engine performance and easier less frequent maintenance. Seating positiom is more upright than a rep. racer but more agressive than most sport tour bikes. Hope this helps and if you've got any more specific questions feel free to ask, I'm sure you'll get many different answers.

Oh and we've got a few Mich. guys on here that you might be able to hook up with.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Squid

BeemerGuy
Re: Any BMW riders here?

Thanks for the warm welcome! The RS is a good sport-touring bike; but has its limits. I'm looking for lighter weight and sharper handling than the RS, but with semi-reasonable ergos and decent manners... fast fun for the back roads and the occasional track day. And after a track day last summer with a bunch of guys on Ducatis I became hopelessly addicted to that V-twin sound!

Just located a used VTR at a reasonably close dealer. So that might be the opportunity for a ride when it gets a little warmer...like above freezing maybe.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the Hawk is perfect for what your looking for and there are lots of mods on here if you into that sort of thing. Mild to Wild.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Squid

sfarson

Ken,

I have a Beemer or two and a Duc Superbike. You will find the VTR to be an outstanding complement to the RS. Great performance, reliability, exhaust note, and easy to have major fun.

Sportier ergos than your RS but not radical like other sporting rides. Quicker, faster, lighter, but easy and forgiving despite being more bike than just about anyone riding two wheels. A legendary American Honda test rider once observed it was his favorite backroads Honda of all time. I can compare this VTR to some bikes, including the things Munich, and would agree.

Tank range is in the 110-120 mile range. This is an oft noted opportunity area, but has never been an issue with me. Besides, you have the RS for longer journeys.

Ask if any questions.

Steve
Old 02-19-2006, 06:36 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Ken. I think I have seen you on sportbikes.net with the orange bimmer in your avatar. I have been on a R1100RS. My friend is a bimmer freak. I rode his bike and I loved how smooth of a ride it is. But like you said it is heavy and the tires sucked on it. The bimmer felt like a highway specific bike. In comparison, the superhawk is made for the twisty roads. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome on the highway too but nothing like a bimmer. The superhawk feels a lot lighter, it also feels faster and torquier. The hawk is also a wheelie monster. It is an all around great bike. You won't be sorry if you buy one, especially at these prices nowadays. What year/mileage is the bike you are looking at?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Squid

BeemerGuy

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Azzkiker: Other than the usual budget issues, I haven't given too much thought to year/miles. Any suggestions? (BTW, not me on sportbikes.net)
Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Not really, all years are about the same. 01 and up got a digital odometer. They are all the same. Great bike.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

On a ride, I switched out with a "rockster". I don't recall the exact model number of that bike but it's an 1150.

Huge difference in power delivery. The bmw sounded like some type of farm machinery plugging away under me but with a smooth, even delivery; nothing to write home about. THe VTR definetely has a more "exciting" powerplant.

I only rode it a short bit and didn't "test" the handling. Huge difference in tank/bar/seat width, ol' superbling felt half the size even tho' I run a VFR tank and superbike bars.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Squid

Beemerguy53

I own a 1995 K75s, and an '02 SuperHawk. (Original owner of both.) I love the elegance, the practicality, and the dependability of the Beemer...I've ridden it on everything from my daily commute to long tours, and I will never get rid of it. However, it lacks a little in the excitement department.

That's where the SuperHawk comes in. The 'Hawk is a blast to ride. You are quite right about that V-twin sound...and wait until you experience that V-twin power! It is light, and sure-footed, quick-steering, with superb brakes, and more power and torque than you could ever hope to use.

About the only difference from one model year to another is color, and, as has been mentioned, the instrument panel. If you find one for sale at a reasonable price, I would urge you to go for it. You won't be sorry.