General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

BLUE FLAME EXHAUST ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
BLUE FLAME EXHAUST ???

well guys.. i did the PAIR SYSTEM TO THE T , even bent those backing plates more so theyde hold the tongue down better. and like I THOUGHT , its still backfiring . HOWEVER.... its only been run for about 15 minutes 1 week ago, and the last time before that was in october... anyways, i think its too rich . it sure is stinky.... oh yeah AND THERES A BLUISH COOL LOOKIN FLAME COMIN OUT OF BOTH EXHAUSTS WITH A LOUD POP if i turn it on in the garage , and rip it to 5k , hold for 3 seconds and let off, and poof boom pop like clockwork, cool lookin blue flames out about 3" from tip... but obviously needs attention. please help.
oh yeah, there IS some put put coughin goin on under the tank, assuming in the airbox backfirin too. hope that didnt throw a curveball for you experts.

cool flame.... but needs a fixin
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Back Marker

call me phil
Re: BLUE FLAME EXHAUST ???

sounds like your TPS is out of range. there is a post somewhere in here on how to adjust it.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok guys... rode it to the license bureau today... ran better with choke out... till i got rid of maybe bad fall gas.... then all it does now is ride ok.... but if you open the throttle below 5k its bubble like its low on gas then itll go after 1 second.... if i keep it up high, its gravy.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:48 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

liter size v-twins are funny with suddenly opening the throttle FULL OPEN from normal 4-5k rpm.

Just ride it for a few days, go through another tank of gas, and see how it runs then.

Bad gas does nasty things.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Popping and snorting on deceleration are normal for a VTR--are one of the things that I truly love about the bike, i.e., its "character-rich engine" (_Motorcycle Online_).

Even so, I would still check the throttle position sensor resistance, just in case. According to the _Haynes Manual_ for the VTR, the throttle position sensor resistance should measure between 4K and 6K ohms, with 5K as optimum. To check TPS resistance, disconnect the wiring connector from the sensor and, using a digital voltmeter set to the K-ohms scale, measure the resistance between the yellow/black and green/black wires, looking for 5K as optimum, 4K as minimum, 6K as maximum.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

hmmm, 4-6k is the recommended.... but in the knowledgebase the author said he did 2 sh's , both above 7k ... weird. just have to play. does anyone know how to adjust the ohm rating if wrong? its says how in the knowledgebase, but no pictures or anything about screws for adjusting... etc.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

please, to anyone reading this and especially clevland, DONT EVER RIDE WITH YOUR CHOKE ON!!!! this causes a very lean condition and will eventually cause major cylinder damage. as far as the popping on decel, ride next to a harley or tuned shadow and listen to what i call six shooters gone mad, pop pop pop bang!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by call me phil
please, to anyone reading this and especially clevland, DONT EVER RIDE WITH YOUR CHOKE ON!!!! this causes a very lean condition and will eventually cause major cylinder damage. as far as the popping on decel, ride next to a harley or tuned shadow and listen to what i call six shooters gone mad, pop pop pop bang!
I don't understand how it could creat LEAN conditions. I thought riding with the choke on makes a richer than necessary mixture. Could you elaborate??
Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
here is an explanation of how chokes work that I found on the web, describing both Enricheners and Chokes:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...monologue.html
Old 03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by call me phil";p=&quot

I have to make a correction here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The type of choke that is on the shawks is an enrichner. The lever that is pulled out, when you choke the bike blocks off some of the air passageways. This means that there is more fuel than air (makes starting easy).

If you do ride with your choke on --------- you are running richer than you should and you may fowl out your sparkplugs, pull the plugs and they may still be wet with gas that hasn't burned, or cause afterfire. Fuel puddles in the cyl head (condition of running way rich) This detonates after the piston has reached TDC and sends a shockwave to the engine. After some time this will tear an engine apart.

If the bike ran better with the choke on, that means that the engine runs better with more fuel, that usually means your lean.

Lean running conditions - popping upon decel , - true

The pair system may also cause this to some extent.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

yes!!! nice stuff. thanks DIVIN ! well , ill get rid of the old fall gas, see what happens then. i know you can replace the jets and stuff to change the air/fuel ratio im assuming. i have the vtr 98-2000 repair manual... is this process of "if the bikes running lean... change this slow jet to this" . is that in there? i guess i need to hop over to the honda dealer to get different jets? thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

sorry it took so long to reply but hear goes....the way an enricherener circut works is the enrichener jet is "upstream" of the idle jet. when the "choke" **** is pulled out it allows an "unlitmited" supply of fuel through this jet. this is not a very large jet, but it is a very "rich" mixture of fuel to air. since the fuel circut in the carb routes fuel by that enricherner jet first, when the "choke" **** is pulled out , just about the only fuel going to the engine is from that very tiny jet. when you open the throttle you are allowing too much air into the mix, the engine will still run and probably seem to run better because lean fuel mixtures to an extent can create more power and smoother running. however doing this also increases engine combustion temps which is very bad. there is a very nice diagram of how a carb circut is made at the mikuni carb diagram website. trust me on this when i tell you, by riding with the "choke" **** pulledd out, you are creating a LEAN not rich condition due to how these carb circuts are routed.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by call me phil";p=&quot
when you open the throttle you are allowing too much air into the mix, the engine will still run and probably seem to run better because lean fuel mixtures to an extent can create more power and smoother running.
I have to call BS again on this.

A bike will run "a little stronger" when it runs rich. Torque likes richness. I know that running a bit rich will cause a "hunting idle" in a bike, but I have never heard of a bike creating more power because its running lean.

All (four stroke) internal combustion engines work under the same principal, the Stoichiometric ratio. This is in theory the perfect air to fuel ratio. Look in any engineering book or engine book, its in there. This number is 14.7 parts of fuel to 1 part of air.

When your bike runs lean there is more heat generated, and the bike will run warmer. Running lean creates all sorts of nice problems. Most modern bikes stock, run just a hair lean. This makes it easier for them to pass through the emissions tests that they have to endure.

This is why a jet kit is so common/recomended. By installing a jet kit you set your bike up how it should have come from the factory (see Stoichiometric ratio above) By installing a jet kit in any bike you will notice better throttle response and generally more miles per gallon improvement.

If you are looking to change your jets, try the factory kit. I asked around a lot and that is what everyone recommended for this bike. The tuning wasn't bad at all, however it was a pita to pull the gas tank and the carbs.