General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bling - I have a question 4 you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bling - I have a question 4 you!

I was over at the VFR forum just a few minutes ago and this guy on there was talking about a recent run to Big Bend and how much fun it was and how beautiful the scenery was. As I read on I realized that this was someone that I was familiar with - even another Texan! I was going to ask my question there but after finding you there I thought I would come back here and look you up.

Here's the situation: Santa called the other day and asked if I had been good. Seems there's a '97 VFR around the corner that only has 3K miles on it. I think I can buy the bike right but before I do I wanted to know if there are any big issues with the 750 over the 800 or with the older bikes in general. I think the current owner just drove it enough to keep it alive because when I talked with him it didn't seem to have the issues that are common with machines that just sit. Your input would be appreciated as well as any from other forum members who own or have owned Interceptors. I almost feel like a traitor but I told Lou (and I meant it) the Superhawk is going nowhere - it's just lonely. He wants me to buy his silver one but I think he should fix it. You can't hussle chicks on a streetfighter. I would like a bike that is better at bigger miles, is a V, and is a Honda. Mistake or good move? OK boys, rash away! :-D
Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yup, that's me over there. I had a 94 750. I think the 4th generation is the best looking as it reminds me of the sexiest honda ever: the nr750.

The bike is basically an anvil overall. It does share the same exact r/r as the superhawk so you can eventually expect an issue with it. Gear driven cams so no CCT issues there. Exotic engine noises. Comfy riding position. Way better fuel range. Engine runs cool although bodywork does trap some heat but nothing bad. Centerstand! Single Sided Swingarm means easy wheel changes and chain maintainence. Not a huge aftermarket but you can still get lots of stuff. RED, RED, RED!

So what's bad? Just expensive bodywork that is overly complicated and a house of cards. Yes, you can actually damage the opposite side of the bike in a very hard drop (not driveway stuff). It will feel somewhat down on power compared to the mighty 'hawk. Dropping gearing helps. Also, heavier than the 'hawk with slower handling but it still better than most riders.

Summation: Great bike. If you're looking for something to cover serious miles at a good clip, you can't go wrong with a VFR.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think one is worth the price of admission just to be able the blip the throttle a few times and hear it run.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

I knew I could count on your honest appraisal of the machine. It surprised me that the VFR is heavier than the 'Hawk and isn't as good in the corners. I would have thought it was more like its 600cc rivals. Would it be a candidate for some mods including weight savings or not worth it?

I know what you mean by the "unneccessarily difficult" because we all know that Honda can get that way. Just a little off level sometimes over it's history. Changing the gearing sort of defeats the purpose - it's got MILEAGE! - even if it's a little slower. If I need to run down to the store for a soda - I got one of those already!

Although 144mph is not bad! Despite the tank bag!

Not having the CCT issue is a plus and for me, not having the multitude of handling issues is a major plus!

After I bought my Superhawk there was a post in the forum about a group heading out to BB. It might even have been you guys! I posted a question in that thread about how the ride is made on a Superhawk. My question was, "How do you do it? Ride like hell for an hour and then stop for fuel and drinks? If this is the case this would make for a very long day." Nobody answered!

A couple weeks later on my first road trip I confidently told TxSC - "no worries - my light just came on. I can make it 20 miles to Seward Junction." I fell 3.7 miles short.

I'll let you know how this all shakes out. Nothing is certain except that if I do buy it, my fix-it list on the 'Hawk is going to take a hit. The guy might not go for what I'm willing to offer but if I get my way, I have just struck out for the last time on the fuel situation.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Squid

ATLSHawk98
VFR recommendation

i have to second the endorsement and recommendation of the VFR. i had a red 95 VFR and i have never had a bad word to say about it. it has a much improved range and riding position over the Hawk. it not as torquey as the Hawk, but still far more street usable torque than inline 4's. it is a little "slower" handling than most sport bikes, but it is extremely stable and easy to ride for extended periods. let's get a big round of applause for a gas gauge as well!

i bought mine in 2000 with 10,800 miles on it. i just sold it a few months ago with 22,000 on it. i would never have gotten rid of it if i had the ability to keep 2 bikes right now. the engine is an engineering work of art. i had a Two Brothers Racing Down-the-Left exhaust on her and she sounded great! It also exposed the beautiful SSS!

if you have the means - i highly suggest picking one up. good luck!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
After I bought my Superhawk there was a post in the forum about a group heading out to BB. It might even have been you guys! I posted a question in that thread about how the ride is made on a Superhawk. My question was, "How do you do it? Ride like hell for an hour and then stop for fuel and drinks? If this is the case this would make for a very long day." Nobody answered!

A couple weeks later on my first road trip I confidently told TxSC - "no worries - my light just came on. I can make it 20 miles to Seward Junction." I fell 3.7 miles short.
Yeah, that was probably one of my invites or reports. Great place.

Anyway, going out there was the impetus for finding a larger tank to fit the superhawk. The route I like to go and at the speed I like to go would mean at least 6+ fuel stops for the VTR due to the lack of fuel stations and the mods (gearing and jet kit) while the VFR only takes three.

I think a VFR/VTR stable would be a great combination if you can swing two bikes: one a local corner carver/hooligan ticket maker and the other a long range interceptor (hence the name) that can do it all.

Also, I didn't mean to make the vfr sound like it's a cruiser in the handling department. It's just a tad slower than the 'hawk. It has "slower" rake/trail numbers but I think it's more due to feeling the weight when in quick transitions. The typical mods (raise rear or drop front or a little of both) bring it around.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
. I think a VFR/VTR stable would be a great combination if you can swing two bikes: one a local corner carver/hooligan ticket maker and the other a long range interceptor (hence the name) that can do it all.
My feelings exactly - one for finesse and the other the hooligan. I love taking my Superhawk to the bank. I can just sense all the women squirm in their chairs when I drive up!

I am lucky enough (some would disagree) that in my current life station I don't have to bear the same expenses as most folks. I've worked hard all my adult life and now I want to enjoy. I still go to the office seven days a week but I have folks that fill in for me once in a while so I can get out and do things. Riding with my son (CBR 600f4i) has been great for me because we rode our 4 wheelers so much when he was growing up. I don't mean to minimize the impact of owning two bikes. My advantage has been to buy very right, buy solid machines, and treat them well. That's the least expensive way to run the show. If I use the Superhawk around town the company is going to pay for my gas and oil changes. The Interceptor will not be the same and it will be used much less. Thanks for all the input everybody!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I was over at the VFR forum just a few minutes ago and this guy on there was talking about a recent run to Big Bend and how much fun it was and how beautiful the scenery was. As I read on I realized that this was someone that I was familiar with - even another Texan! I was going to ask my question there but after finding you there I thought I would come back here and look you up.

Here's the situation: Santa called the other day and asked if I had been good. Seems there's a '97 VFR around the corner that only has 3K miles on it. I think I can buy the bike right but before I do I wanted to know if there are any big issues with the 750 over the 800 or with the older bikes in general. I think the current owner just drove it enough to keep it alive because when I talked with him it didn't seem to have the issues that are common with machines that just sit. Your input would be appreciated as well as any from other forum members who own or have owned Interceptors. I almost feel like a traitor but I told Lou (and I meant it) the Superhawk is going nowhere - it's just lonely. He wants me to buy his silver one but I think he should fix it. You can't hussle chicks on a streetfighter. I would like a bike that is better at bigger miles, is a V, and is a Honda. Mistake or good move? OK boys, rash away! :-D
I know nothing about the VFR but heard they are wonderful touring machines. The only time I dealt with one was a 2002 unit. It looked nice but sounded blah...and wait a minute with the part of not being able to hustle chicks. You can hustle anyone when you are one up. BUT if you want jailbaits well.....get a gixxer or any Yammy Rs. They come in groups but be prepare to discuss the relevancy of Britney vs Christina.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
The only time I have been on a VFR is at Freddie Spencer's. I have been on the back of his bike three times. This I will tell you, there is nothing wrong with the VFR. I still can't ride as fast as he dose with me on the back around a race track. So maybe it's the rider skill and not the ride. That man is FAST!!! I think his is an 02.