General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bike Stands

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Bike Stands

Anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get bike stands is?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Pit bull makes the best stands IMO.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Back Marker

Do they have a website?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
+1 on these dont know it they are the best but mine work nice.got mine from the dealer but I would check out ebay.
Originally Posted by motojoe
Pit bull makes the best stands IMO.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DocPigskin17
Anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get bike stands is?
I sell Pit-Bull stands to forum members at a good discount.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Do they have a website?
www.pit-bull.com
Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Back Marker

What kind of price can you throw at forum members on the front stand. Need the kind that allows for front fork removal.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
SuperBike

What kind of price can you throw at forum members on the front stand. Need the kind that allows for front fork removal.
Go to their website but I recommend this http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/me...e=front_stands (ForkLift & Converter" package) over their "New Front Stand" because you can use the Fork Lift alone when youjust want to pull the wheel.

If you want a Rear Stand get this http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/me...de=rear_stands which works on unspooled & spooled swing arms (I added spools with inserts to the VTR).

Get your best price with shipping and/or tax and PM me and I'll see what I can do for you (or anyone).
Old 02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
New Guy
Squid

Milosh is on a distinguished road
What size pin for the front stand?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Don't laff. It's been working fine for the past ten years. Hacked up cart from a home supply chain store that was broken and sitting in the alley:

Name:  frontleft.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  rightrear.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  60.2 KB

Total cost: $0 (well I did use up a couple of dremel wheels)
Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Hey, I can laugh, but I’ll do it for your ingenuity. Good job, way to recycle. I welded up one from square tube laying around the garage. Had to buy the wheels and some pins though.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Sorry I can't take credit for it. I got the idea from the original superhawk forum back on sport-twin.com (hence the 10 years comment). Somebody discovered and posted a link was from a brit m/c site.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
My Shop

I was bored today,, and had stands on the list of things to build.. So I whipped out a few this afternoon

Name:  CIMG0745.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  119.6 KB

Name:  CIMG0747.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  109.9 KB

Not bad for an hours work and $12 in supplys.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
SuperBike

Wink

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
I was bored today,, and had stands on the list of things to build.. So I whipped out a few this afternoon

Not bad for an hours work and $12 in supplys.
Very nice!

However, does the one hour and $12 (really) include design & engineering time, time and expenses for picking up the material (excluding direct material costs); consumable material costs; tooling design and fabrication time and costs; amortization of equipment, facility and utility costs; fees; taxes; product, general liability, health and workers comp insurance; container & shipping costs; profit & overhead; indirect costs including interest and cost of money; and what it cost did or will cost when your better half comes into play?

If you have not guessed, I started out as a design, manufacturing and industrial aeropspace enginer (with Convair).

BTW, see the new thread I just started for a Forum Pit Bull Group Buy!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nope, not bad at all! Might want to think about bracing that 90° with a 45° though, or if you're Skokie then maybe some finite element analysis!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
+1 on the 45° bracing. I see that you sloped the upright too.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Nope, not bad at all! Might want to think about bracing that 90° with a 45° though, or if you're Skokie then maybe some finite element analysis!
Steel was on hand, left over’s from another job, cost included in last project,, So ZERO to this one. To include pick up time.
I designed it as I have every other I've built; they have all worked in the past, with no failures, so no R&D time for this unit.
The $12 included consumables used in this project.
No new tools, jigs were fabricated or bought for this project.
Wifely unit wants front and rear stands for her bike,,,,, ya, she’s fine with me doing what I love.

No, I did not figure in utilities, as this is a private residence, all costs are already accounted for except the extra electricity.. ok, so I'll revise the project cost.

$12.32

Hmm non destructive failure analyses,,,, Maybe..........

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Very nice!

However, does the one hour and $12 (really) include design & engineering time, time and expenses for picking up the material (excluding direct material costs); consumable material costs; tooling design and fabrication time and costs; amortization of equipment, facility and utility costs; fees; taxes; product, general liability, health and workers comp insurance; container & shipping costs; profit & overhead; indirect costs including interest and cost of money; and what it cost did or will cost when your better half comes into play?

If you have not guessed, I started out as a design, manufacturing and industrial aeropspace enginer (with Convair).

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-21-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

LOL, thanks, but it'll be fine,, Not the first stand I've built.

The cradle is made from 1x.120 wall tube. The lower joint is reinforced and pined on the inside before welding with a 4" long piece of steel rod bent to shape.

I have track stands still in use I made long ago,,,They are still holding up to track use with a TZ250J.. That should give you an idea how old they are..LOL

But your guys are right, a straight un reinforced butt welded 90 deg at that joint would be a possible point of failure on a heavy street bike....That’s why I pin um on the inside.

Thanks for the ideas though.
If my tube bender did small square tubing, I would not cut and piece this stuff. But I'm only set up to do 2" DOM .90 wall round stuff. though now that I'm out of 4WD and off road racing....... hmmmmmm, new set of dies..... sell the old ones,,,,, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-21-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Back Marker

Craftsman

Has anyone ever used the Craftsman motorcycle jack? I picked one up an aluminum one at Sears the other day. 40 lbs/$112.00. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
Originally Posted by Milosh
What size pin for the front stand?
24 is size stamped on the pin on a woodcraft stand but I don't know if that crosses over to pitbull. it much bigger then most sport bikes.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Squid

Veles is on a distinguished road
i got a bike jack from kragen auto and it works really well, i wouldnt be able to work on biek without it
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I own 2 Pitbulls, one convertible and one for SSA Hondas (lil Hawk), and they're great.
Solid as a ROCK, my daughters can play all over both bikes and they've never fallen.
I'd like a front forklift conversion, but can't swing $195 (the Pitbull price) right now. I have used a jack and block for the front, but it makes me nervous when the forks are off.

A serious discount, and I'd seriously consider buying (since the bike will sit for at least 6mo this summer, while I'm in the Gulf).
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Very nice!

you forgot the cost of beer above as well
Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi all, i owned Pitbull stand, Dmp stand and Sm13000Rs i pick pitbull at the best.
i will sell my Sm13000Rs Front and rear for $40+cost of UPS ground shipping.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Squid

technorocket is on a distinguished road
PM'ed ya Trinity
Old 03-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Back Marker

Craftsman lift

Ok, so just to finish out my thread, I finally got around to being able to use my Craftsman motorcycle jack. I had to remove the exhaust in order to use it, but once I did, it actually works pretty good. Comes with straps to secure the bike. Working great for pulling off the front forks...with the exception of one thing. What size wrench do I need to pull off the front axle. Looks like a 20mm but I only had up to a 18mm wrench. Going to have to purchase one just want to make sure which one I need....so....20mm? Anyone?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

Ok, so just to finish out my thread, I finally got around to being able to use my Craftsman motorcycle jack. I had to remove the exhaust in order to use it, but once I did, it actually works pretty good. Comes with straps to secure the bike. Working great for pulling off the front forks...with the exception of one thing. What size wrench do I need to pull off the front axle. Looks like a 20mm but I only had up to a 18mm wrench. Going to have to purchase one just want to make sure which one I need....so....20mm? Anyone?
Use a veneer caliper to verify or the tool kit has the right size, so checK that.

Tou'll need other larger sizes for the rear axle and fork caps too.

BTW, build a craddle out of wood that bolts to the stand. The craddle should fit up so you don't have to remove the pipes which is a PITA. Front and rear stands obviate the need for a lift with craddle for everything except pulling the triple clamps and are lot more safe.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I use a ratcheting tie down over a couple rafters in my garage hooked to tie down extensions that are wrapped around my frame. With frame sliders, I just hook onto them.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
I use a ratcheting tie down over a couple rafters in my garage hooked to tie down extensions that are wrapped around my frame. With frame sliders, I just hook onto them.
I did that recently and always go that route with my wifes '74 CB750 (currently bieng rebuilt to cafe/superbike something) But, two weeks ago with the super hawk, the ratchets on the straps connected to the rafters froze up and wouldn't release. I had to hold the rear of the bike up (actually lift it to slack the straps) and had my wife unhook the straps from the bike. Talk about an effin work out but no one got hurt, most importantly the bike. Think i'll find a new way for the Superhawk, she isn't very light.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Back Marker

Rafters..

I like the rafter idea but my bike has to unfortunately sleep in my storage shed. Well, you can forget getting to the rafters....talking at least 20 feet up there. No thanks. One day when I have my own shop though, definetely going to look that way.
So I used my lift to get off the front forks. I don't understand how the front bike stand allows getting off the front forks? What does the stand lift on to get the front end off the ground if the forks are getting removed? Is that a stupid question?

Quick Reply: Bike Stands