General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bike Dies at Idle After MCCT Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Squid

bcman5 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bike Dies at Idle After MCCT Install

I recently did the MCCT job and after buttoning everything back up my bike started to die at idle. When the engine is cold it idles just fine; but as the bike warms up it just slowly dies; revs drop in spurts and after a while it just dies. It first started on my first ride when after about 5 minutes of riding the bike became difficult to accelerate and eventually died. After it cooled down I was able to start it again and ride far enough to get it up the hill I was on.

I was poking around and found that if you're running rich your bike gets worse as it heats up which sounds like my problem. But also, what are the chances I messed up my timing? I checked the rear cylinder and make sure the timing was fine there; I haven't checked the front yet (mainly because its just a pain to get to). And because I know you guys are going to ask, I have already synced my carbs.

So could I be running rich? Is my timing off? Could I be something else? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Possibly, too tight when it warms?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'd suspect the tensioners may be too tight as well. If everything was ok before the swap and that's the only thing you changed...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Have you got the vacuum hose on the right fitting of the fuel petcock? This sounds like fuel starvation to me. Another possibility would be a pinched air vent hose for the fuel tank leading to vapour lock in the tank.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Squid

bcman5 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I have made sure that the vacuum line is to the right of the petcock. Also, I don't think I've pinched the vent hose but I'll double check. I'll try loosening the MCCT a bit. Anyone know by how much? 1/2 turn? Full turn? More?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:28 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
1/2 turn is a good bit. Did the starting/cranking speed change at all? I just put a manual on an F4i this week and there was so little room I couldn't get a feel by hand. After starting it up, I knew it was too tight because the starter was a bit bogged. This was totally cold. My thought is you could have excess load on the cam bearings if you've tightened the tensioner too tight. What method did you use to set them?
Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
you can check to see if you are running too rich by pulling the ch=oke out a bit when warm... does it run better or worse...