Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Post MCCT, PAIR/Canister-ectomy Popping at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Squid

Psychobabble is on a distinguished road
Post MCCT, PAIR/Canister-ectomy Popping at Idle

Hi!

Been lurking for a little while, found a lot of useful information on the forum and thank you for that! About a month ago I picked up a '98 SuperHawk in pure stock form with 32k miles and l have been slowly modding it here and there.

Last night, I installed a set of Krieger manual CCT's (very carefully following instructions and tips to avoid chain skip), removed the PAIR components (used block off plates, some RTV, plugged the line at the front carburetor and airbox) and removed the charcoal canister (rerouted tank vent and plugged the link from the PCV).

The bike is running great overall, but now I notice an exhaust pop at idle and am trying to figure out the best next step to resolve this. I've seen various recommendations and and considering bringing it in for a carb sync and adjustment, as that seems the most obvious thing to do, but wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Does this sound like a run-lean situation?

BTW, the bike has a set of Yoshimura slip-ons on it as well. Thanks for any advice/assistance!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Either popping out of the exhaust or from the carb (Carb farts) you need to synch your carbs, and check you plugs after a ride... white/grey means your running lean... put in bigger main or pilot jets... milky/coffee brown = good
dark/wet plugs= to rich... adjust accordingly and easier way go to a dyno let them measure your mixture with a probe and let them tune or do it yourself.
Good luck with it.
Use search for more info (theres alot)