General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Best rear Tyre for mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Squid

Ratty is on a distinguished road
Question Best rear Tyre for mileage?

Hi, I've been looking through all the tyre threads but can't seem to find anything conclusive, regarding the best mileage tire.

On my previous bike (NT650) I ran BT45's which I loved as they gave me huge mileage 3000+ miles and still like new. But I can't get them for the VTR and I'm wondring what's the next best thing?

I don't ride very fast (70mph average top speed) and never corner hard at all, so grip/handling aren't as importatant to me as most people.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
I run the pilot road 2. Very nice on the sticky side and good miles.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
I got 5K out of a rear Pilot Power, 8K out of a Pilot Road 2, and am currently 2K into a Pilot Road. Looks like 10-12K on the normal Pilot Road. I commute 95% of my mileage.

I have loved all for handling. I have found that when pushed hard the Pilot Road will slide out with me. I never had the Pilot Road 2 or the Pilot Power do that. I was just looking for a compromise for mileage and wear. I am pretty happy with the Pilot Road so far.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I run Pilot Roads front and rear I have 8,000 miles on the front and I would say it still has half of its usable tread, I just put a rear on this summer I have about 2000 miles on that and it looks practically brand new. I have never had it wash out even when I am pushing them hard, and they are great in the rain. I have also run Pilot Power tires which do give a little better feedback and was able to sqeeeze about 8,000 miles out of a rear tire, which I know is more than most people, but I wanted a tire that could go for two seasons for me so I am trying the Pilot Roads and sofar I am very happy with them.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I put on a set of pilot power 2ct's at the beginning of LAST season. with them, I've done 2 track days and about 4,000 miles between last season and this one, and they still have plenty of meat left. I'll be replacing them at the beginning of next season, but only because they have gone through so many heat cycles and I'll be returning to the track next year. best tires I've ever had. hard in the middle for all those long straight Illinois roads, and soft on the sides for the occasional flogging.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Give Bridgestone BT021's a look. I only have a couple hundred miles on mine but I chose them after reading tons of positive comments on performance and wear, plus they're inexpensive. Coming from Metzler Sport Tech's (they were clapped out) one very noticable difference is the bridgstones make the bike less reactive (slower to lean from side to side) over 60mph, presumably because they are heavier. Other than that, they feel GREAT. My bike has never felt so confidence inspiring.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
I hear the RoadSmarts are pretty good and last long.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
pilot roads last a long time. 15 - 20k kms. i now have road 2s and they are holding up well.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Contis

Conti Road Attk rr going on 7k miles and has about another 1k left in middle (though fairly squared) but plenty of side tread left; and sport attk ft is maybe half done at almost 7k. Awesome rain tires (even under water, see my Indy nightmire thread), a little numb but good turn-in and stability. Can't go wrong for $237 a pair shipped from http://www.ridedirect.com/