General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

best handlebar conversion, helinar or superbike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

jdavidc85 is on a distinguished road
best handlebar conversion, helinar or superbike?

I have an 03 sh and am looking to do a trip from cleveland to boston in september. I know theres a few comfort modifications im going to need to do before hand! I ordered sargent seat and am now focusing on handlebars. Im 6'7" and after an hour or so my wrists begin to get sore from the stance even with the bar spacers i have. Ive seen pics of superbike conversions and it looks comfy! Im trying to stay away from trimming my fairing and have read posts of those converting without doing so. I think one guy used an early 80s cb900 bar which is discontinued. I have a stem to mount them from my atv racing days but was also wondering about the helibar alternative! Any info or experience with either of these is greatly appreciated! U guys know ur hawk's!! Also any other input for the long ride is welcome. I am also aware that i need a taller windscreen. Not sure which route to go there:/
RIDE ON!!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I like the apex riser bars. Infinitely adjustable to any slant/ ht/ angle APEX Riser Clip Ons Review from Sportbiketrackgear.com - YouTube

I have heli bars on one vtr and these on the other and really like them
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Nice thanks for info, first i've heard of them. Did you have to trim your fairing? Hows the long term comfort?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I like the apex riser bars. Infinitely adjustable to any slant/ ht/ angle APEX Riser Clip Ons Review from Sportbiketrackgear.com - YouTube

I have heli bars on one vtr and these on the other and really like them
+1, APEX are a good choice!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

No fairing trim. They can be made perfect since they are so adjustable
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I just bought the apex clamps for their risers. I'm just going to go to the local steel supply shop and get some 1" and 7/8" pipe and weld the upright to the flat part of the bars to make them myself. Got $100 into the clamps. Probably have less than $25 in metal for the bars. I think that's about as cheap and as universal/most flexibility you're going to get.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Thanks a lot guys! I think these are definitely the best route to take. Had no idea these were around. Answer to prayer!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Im assuming ill probably need to replace throttle cables and brake lines to get a nice sport touring position? Did you have too. Im planning on upgrading to stainless steel lines anyways. I heard the difference is unreal.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jdavidc85
Im assuming ill probably need to replace throttle cables and brake lines to get a nice sport touring position? Did you have too. Im planning on upgrading to stainless steel lines anyways. I heard the difference is unreal.
My VTR bar swap is a 2" rise above stock and was I think about the limit on cable length.
I just ordered 4" APEX bars this morning, these will be 1" taller then what I have now (the 3" APEX bars are the same rise as the VFR bars I have now, I almost ordered the wrong ones) I expect I'll need to make new throttle cables, which is ok as i have the components on hand.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I just ordered 4" APEX bars this morning... I expect I'll need to make new throttle cables, which is ok as i have the components on hand.
E. - I've been considering the 4" Apex bars for awhile now. Please post details after you install them.

Apologies to OP for my thread jack.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
If you are going to replace the throttle/brake cables, find a set of used VFR800 clip-ons, they maybe less expensive than aftermarket stuff.

I have ridden coast to coast 6 timies, on different bikes, I found sitting upright doesn't work for me, road shock travel straight up the spine for long hours isn't healthy.

For long hours in the saddle, I rest my chest/chin against a secure tankbag, relief my hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck. With your height, might need to slide back on the seat.

I'm about 5'10"..

Last edited by cat0020; 07-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cat0020
If you are going to replace the throttle/brake cables, find a set of used VFR800 clip-ons, they maybe less expensive than aftermarket stuff...
They are, about $200 less, I have a set now,,, and still, not tall enough.

Go sit on a 2011 / 2012 Ninja 1000.. That is a comfy fit.. and what Im going for.. if I can not get there, then the VTR is going to get put in buddy bike status and a new bike bought.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM
MotoGP

That is the same way I do (really) long distance. I pack jeans and stuff in the tankbag (mine is taller) to make it stable. Vista cruise to open hands, touring screen to help buffeting.

I still have stock throttle cables on my bike. I think the SS lines are a bit longer tho.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Wow! I didn't know about the apex when i did mine and actually wasted a good set of superbike bars trying to get mine right.

Apex looks like the way to go.

If you don't get too radical, you may be able to re-route cables and brake lines as i did. just have to jack the bike up to extend forks, compress forks, and full turns to assure you're not going to have problems with cables and lines.

The other consideration in terms of wind management and comfort, is that some forward lean and a shield configuration that allows wind hitting the shoulders helps support the body at highway velocities, hence pulling weight from the wrists. Relaxed grip and wind blast at shoulder/chest area should relieve tension quite a bit.

Another thing that helps is a throttle stay or cruise control, esp. since the hawk has so much engine braking you can't even get off the throttle down hill, so your right hand is virtually tied to the throttle. It helps a lot to get your hand off when traveling.

A little cushion in the seat of your riding pants helps and also works well when you have to sit on a curb or wall at stops. Speaking of stops, keep them short and eat light and you'll be able to go further more comfortably.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Ordered the 4" apex last night will follow up with details after install. nath981 I believe your right after looking at cables and lines again I think just rerouting them will be sufficient! Thanks to all of you once again. Details to follow.....