General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Barber Trackday !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Smile Barber Trackday !

For those that have a opportunity to do a trackday at Barber ...DO IT ! The track is 40 feet wide , elevation changes ,switch backs with smooth surface with plenty of grip I was going to post some video footage but my cheap *** camera took a **** in the first session and I cant seem to get any thing off of it ( I haven't given up trying yet ).Although I did figure out that the Superhawk is definitely due for a front brake upgrade for sure ! No close calls or anything ,just started fading a little after a few laps . Oh well ,at least I have an excuse to do it now . If I get the camera thing figured out I will definitely post it up . Man it was fun !
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I WILL get up there one of these days FO SURE!! Speaking of the upgrade I may have some 01 GSXR calipers for sale soon, let me know if you're interested and you can have 1st dibs. Maybe I could meet you at jennings and we can put them on, I'll be there Aug. 17&18.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I just did a trackday at VIR on Saturday- I have never had so much fun in my life. My buddy and I were smoking almost everyone in the beginner class on his 15 (F2) and my 10 (VTR) year old bikes. Somthing about lapping $20k bikes with an $1100 bike makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
+1 on the brake upgrade. Other than that, the Hawk was a beast and hung with 600SS's in the straight and passed everything else in the turns.
I was on other rider's butts going through turns and many of them were draggin knees everytime, I couldn't get mine to touch no matter what I did. Any suggestions? Although I could care less about that now, cause I passed all those guys anyway but the knees just wouldn't hit. WTF?
Pics coming soon!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
I just did a trackday at VIR on Saturday- I have never had so much fun in my life. My buddy and I were smoking almost everyone in the beginner class on his 15 (F2) and my 10 (VTR) year old bikes. Somthing about lapping $20k bikes with an $1100 bike makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
+1 on the brake upgrade. Other than that, the Hawk was a beast and hung with 600SS's in the straight and passed everything else in the turns.
I was on other rider's butts going through turns and many of them were draggin knees everytime, I couldn't get mine to touch no matter what I did. Any suggestions? Although I could care less about that now, cause I passed all those guys anyway but the knees just wouldn't hit. WTF?
Pics coming soon!
I am with you the passing the high dollar bikes on the old SH . I like passing the Ducati's the best .I have the same problem , I have to try like hell to drag a knee and only did maybe 4 or 5times at Barber this weekend only on turns 2 & 5 . And thats with me hanging off the bike almost to the point of ridiculous ! I seem to go faster & smoother when I am not trying to drag the Knee .
Old 06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
The Barber museum is bad *** too... that has to be the BEST assortment of bikes on display ANYWHERE!! definatly a good way to spend a day!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Yup Barber is in my backyard pretty much. I have yet to do a trackday. I'll probably do Little Tally first, then Barber. Can't wait to ride on that track.

And yes the museum is amazing!!!! A must see if you visit Barber!

There will be a road track expansion in the near future as well as the AMA motocross track addition. Can't wait.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on Barbar

With the multi-level state of the art Motorcycle museum just of the Rollor Coaster turn and the location in the south there is not a better track for bikes.

I took the SuperChicken there a year ago and the SuperMoto. YOu can guess which one ultimately won the right to be played on all day. The old SuperChicken only got one session on the track. It was too much fun passing all the sportbikes in the turns on the outside and goind down the coaster over the concrete and passing them.

I really like the set of turns at the end of the back striaght, you can rip down thru the valley and up over the hill and then back down again.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Yeah the back straight is my favorite section to watch riders. Flying off the straight then setting up for the quick flick in for the left then back on the right cresting over the hill makes for some exciting racing in that section. Usually its a drag race and braking war watching a good race go on in that section. I've seen Mladin power drift through that whole section like it was nothing! Elbows out, smoking tires, strips, and all.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
I I couldn't get mine to touch no matter what I did. Any suggestions? Although I could care less about that now, cause I passed all those guys anyway but the knees just wouldn't hit. WTF?
Pics coming soon!
The knees will come with corner speed. It takes a while. I thought I was going unbelievably fast my first couple trackdays and passing lots of "faster" bikes. It sounds like you should probably move up to the "B" group. People in the "C" group get nervous with people flying by (for good reason).

Once the knees start touching, it becomes a good gauge. The last couple times out, they touched in almost every corner. I think I started trying to get my bike to touch less and started hanging off more, but it didn't feel like I was doing much different. Just more comfortable with high corner speeds.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to RIDE!!

I knew this year was going to be hard, because there is a light at the end of the long tunnel.

I think about it every day and try to inch forward with some bit of progress.
I just paid my truck off.

I did get to ride the MTB downhill courses at Northstar ski resort last weekend with my son. That's some hard, challenging riding and you are worked by the end of the day.

I bought some body armor before we rode, because I felt lucky not to get hurt the last time I was there. Armoured shoulders, elbows, spine, knees, etc. I already had a full faced helmet. I proceded ot go over the bars unexpectedly and landed on my shoulder and head. Got up uninjured and kept riding! Put a nice gash in my shoulder pad.

ATGATT!!

Sorry for the thread jack. Ride safe!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
Barber is phenomenal, no doubt about that. I've ridden it, oh, six or seven times plus driven it once. Oh, and I worked there for a couple of years! (I still work AMA and AHRMA every year.)

As for brakes, get good pads and change the fluid. These are the only sources for brake fade short of having too small of rotors. Since the same size rotors work for bikes with 60-70 more bhp that's not going to be the issue for us. The difference between fade from fluid and fade from pads is readily apparent. If the pads are insufficient for the use they're being put to (and this is the case probably 90% of the time), the lever gets wooden and you get no braking for the effort you're giving it. If it's the fluid you'll have to pump the lever a couple or few times to compress the bubble from it boiling.

If the rotors are overheating you'll get all sorts of bad things going on. They'll discolor, warp, and possibly get sticky spots on them. Any of these you'll feel in the lever and possibly have to pump the lever if they're warped. The only way I can imagine a rotor overheating is if a caliper is stuck and dragging.

Oh, and new hoses if they're original. You should be able to tell if they're bad by just squeezing the lever, they should be the only source of sponginess when the pads are cold.