General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anybody go at it with a Ducati Monster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Anybody go at it with a Ducati Monster?

Saw one from a couple cars back today. I'de have to say, I've forgotten how sexy of a naked bike they are, and how small they are. Not to mention the sound of them with a set of pipes installed Really put my stocker piped sound to shame when pulled up next to him

I have no idea what size Monster it was, as it was unbadged, but he gave it his all (crouched down and gunned it) and I was barely giving half throttle in the same gears, sitting up straight and keeping up....

Shameful :wink: I know an S4R prolly woulda gave me a run for my money, but I seriously doubt a 900 would. Just thought I'de post it....kinda a pointless post, but I was pretty excited I could keep up with hardly giving it any effort. Surprised...
Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Dew-cah-tee, eh? Overpriced and useless for any commuting. Lots of fun in the twisties, though.

The only other bike I lust for after the 748/916/996/998 is the Monster. At the Int'l MC Show at Long Beach, they had several custom Monsters on display.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Re: Anybody go at it with a Ducati Monster?

Yeah...they're great comfy bikes, but you're damned if it's used at all...damn valve adjustments with every oil change??? No thanks.

Good novelty and that's about it...perhaps as a second bike sure, but as anything that's really gonna be used...meh.

My buddies was pretty sick, it was a 750SiE...decent, but nothing amazing, except the fact it had 4pot HUGE Brembos and Marchesini's from the factory. I'm guessing that's what this one was(a regular 750 dark)....cause it wasn't really going anywhere compared to the "cookie cutter" chicken behind it :P

I'm still in awe of it's exhaust note as I type this, 5 hours after the fact, lmao.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

unless its a liter bike with 4vavle/cyclinder, its not gonna come close. so most monsters don't have a prayer of hanging with a hawk. I know they've been playing with the idea of putting the 999 motor in a monster, and that would definitely change things. only a meager 35more hp than the hawk. but as of now, monsters are checked off on the ***-kicked list.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Back Marker

oicdn
Yeah...i just checked the specs of even the S4, it only has 101, and the S4R has only 112...so thier highest model would be "on par" with an otherwise unchanged "7 year old" hawk, lol.

I know my buddies didn't respond well to mods either. He had a power commander, FULL exhaust, filter, and when dyno'd, he was just UNDER the rated HP at the wheel....there are people on here with just slip-ons, filter and jetted OVER the rated HP....let alone a PC with perfect mapping.

Now I wanna race a S4R, lmao.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno....maybe cause I used to own a Duc 900SD they hold a special place in my heart
(reliving my youth maybe???)

One on these would be kinda fun (to me)
But not worth the high price.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 AM
SuperSport

that paul smart model is sweet. but its also a limited run. anyway, if you think about it, the monster never had a chance. honda developed the superhawk to compete with the ducati supersports of the late 90's and what motor does the monster use? that same motor. the hawk beat the supersport hands down, so of course its gonna beat a tamer, less sporty bike with the same motor.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Superstock

woodman

Both pipes on the same side is uuuugggly!!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Little strange having the single shock mounted on one side too but I do like 'em.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Definitely targeting an older rider wanting to relive their glory days (nuthin' wrong with that) but those first two have bars damn near lower than the seat. Me thinks there will be more than one "ultra low miles" showing up used later on down the road!

For newer superhawk/firestormers out there, the original "plan" for the VTR was to beat the duc 900ss (air-cooled 2 valve motor) at it's own game but it was easily outclassed and the target was changed to the more modern water-cooled 4 valve 916 family.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

I was on Brussels Motor Salon 2006 yesterday. Saw Paul Smart and rest of Duc's classics "in flesh". And - they are uncomfortable, probably not very reliable, not fastests of crowd but....I REALLY WANT THEM!!!
It brings back so much of an era of motorcycling...I almost cried because I never been part of that time...

BTW - wanted to share some of my impressions...
1. Suzuki GSR600 looks like cheap heap of plastic. Do not believe reviews until you will see it. I can't live with bike that looks like Chinese scooter....fake.

2. Kawa ER6N looks weird, but dear comfortable. And too small even for me (I am 174 cm ...eh....short )

3. First time in my life I fealt really comfortable on 1000cc sportbike, and it was GSXR1000 K5, and second was.. well....it was Busa which seemed so far off my comfortable level just year ago...

4. R1 is by far too small for real life, same for Kawasaki, Triumph 675 and R6 - IMHO.

5. I am in love with Triumph Scrambler. Absolutely in love, even my wife said she would not mind me buying one (not like I have any money, so )

6. Second time in my life I saw Benneli TNT in real, and it looks like Italian designers smoked way too much weed before designing it. Still want one.

7. New BMW 800 made me change my opinion on BMW designers - GREAT looking bike.

General impression - lot of sport or sporty bikes stepped over edge of being reasonably small and hanging on edge of being useless for more than 200 km journey and there is NO WAY that even my wife (46 kg only) can be a passenger on those bikes.

Loved Honda Zoomer scooter - I liked it last year, and this year even more. Genious thing...my wife wanted it

And - cars (it is cars AND bikes show) are boooring....except Rolls Royce.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Addicted to VTR!
Squid

Riccardo
Originally Posted by bluesman";p=&quot
I was on Brussels Motor Salon 2006 yesterday.
Have you seen new Morini Corsaro?
It's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ciao
Old 01-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
My dad loves Ducati's. When I was 16 back in 1996 we went into the local Kawi/Duc dealer and found a 916 sitting on the showroom floor. We knew there wouldn't be another in Anchorage Ak for a long time so he bought it on the spot. This of course was a month after my dad bought a new Ducati 900SS. Moral of the story is they don't have to move to be desirable.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Superstock

woodman

3. First time in my life I fealt really comfortable on 1000cc sportbike, and it was GSXR1000 K5, and second was.. well....it was Busa which seemed so far off my comfortable level just year ago...

I use to have a Busa and agree they are very uncomfortable. The reach to the bars is way too long and the footpegs too high.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

2. Kawa ER6N looks weird, but dear comfortable. And too small even for me (I am 174 cm ...eh....short )

All right I'll bite how tall is it for the part of the world too stuborn to go to metrics?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Converter says it's 5 ft 7 inch and something

Yep, and BTW - saw new hyperspeeder ZZR1400. Looks impressively built, but oh my, is it ugly it looks exactly like mix between pregnant rhino and dead whale and with headlights on it looks exactly like Nautilus from Captain Nemo in Hollywood version
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Originally Posted by Riccardo";p=&quot
Originally Posted by bluesman";p=&quot
I was on Brussels Motor Salon 2006 yesterday.
Have you seen new Morini Corsaro?
It's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ciao
Yes, I saw it - it looks really nice and neater than other "crazy machines" Basically - looks really well put together! And design is clean and beautiful...
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 AM
MotoGP

Thanks now I have a better idea. You are a short bastard aren't you! Welcome to the 5'7" club, I think I've got you by a few mm's.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

I can catch up by not cutting my hair and using some gel!

Yep, isn't it easier to be 5'7 than tall? Easy in flights on those cramped seats, do not need double bubble screen, plenty of legroom on Shawk
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
MotoGP

Yeah used to laugh at all the tall guys bashing thier heads on lifts when I was an auto Mechanic. Nobody ever wanted to get under the lifts with me.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Squid

alnames

I've never "gone at it" with a Monster, but I used to ride alot with a buddy on a 900SS/CR and I would smoke him quite a bit. Then his bike developed a crack in the frame and he replaced it with a 999. Once it's broken in I may be eating a lot of his dust for a change. Anyway, here is a pic of the Hawk and 900SS (with my son wanting to "go at it").
Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
SuperSport

exactly the bike that honda had in its sights when it made the superhawk. good shooting, honda.