General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Any noticeable differance to 91 octane?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road

I am on my second tank of gas on my bird (no long rides yet, still waiting for my jacket) and I have chosen to run Chevron supreme only. I put that in my car and it has made a dif in how smooth my car runs and my mileage slightly. Will it do the same for my bike, or can I save a couple bucks and put regular in. Im gonna be commuting 80 miles round trip a day and want the best for my baby. Tell me what ya think.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've tried 91 in the VTR and can't tell any difference. I've had higher compression bikes that "seemed" to run stronger on premium and did in fact get better mpg, but not the VTR. For commuting especially, I'd stick with the regular.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
I believe the Hawk manual states that you can run 87 octane. (At least my '99). I myself have the 'Hawk and Snowmobiles (those too recommend 87 Octane), but have always run high test (92-93 octane here in NYS) in all my toys. Guess I figured that they're toys, I run 'em hard and might as well give them the good stuff. I'm going to guess a shitpile of guys will respond they're using 87 octane and have been for ever, so go with your gut...
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Lower octane that the motor can burn without detonation is the best, in occurrence 87 octane.
Don't talk of regular as crap because premium in a low compression engine is crap as well, regular has a higher flame propagation speed than premium, to get performance from premium you need to kick the compression up by a full point, that means getting new pistons.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
Lower octane that the motor can burn without detonation is the best, in occurrence 87 octane.
Don't talk of regular as crap because premium in a low compression engine is crap as well, regular has a higher flame propagation speed than premium, to get performance from premium you need to kick the compression up by a full point, that means getting new pistons.
so what ratio before you NEED high octane? 9.5:1... more?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
I can't tell a difference between the octanes in my 98. She's used as a commuter and thrashed more than occasionally.

As long as your bike is constantly being ridden, I wouldn't worry about the internals staying clean. And with your commute, you'll be filling up often! On the other hand, you could add some Seafoam from time to time to give you some peace of mind.

While we're at it, what oil do you use? (sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
so what ratio before you NEED high octane? 9.5:1... more?
IIRC, my 93 VFR had an 11.0:1 ratio, and Honda recommended a minimum of 86 octane for it. So is there something else besides compression ratio that determines a need for a higher octane rating?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Piston bore size is a factor, the smaller is the aera the faster it can burn completely, the raising the detonation threshold.
A 600 cc 4 banger will tolerate more than a 1000 cc twin or a 650 cc single.
Chamber design and squish aera makes a more turbulent charge, witch burn faster as well.
Heat absorbtion of the head and cylinder, an aluminium head and Nickasil (aluminium plated bore) will absorb more compression heat than a prehistoric iron head and block engine.
Dynamic compression is a factor too, a one liter engine is not pulling a liter of air, at a VE of 90 % close to torque pesk(best efficiency) 900 cc of air is drawn, add a filter, exhaust and you may increase to 95 % VE you get 950cc of air squeezed in there.
Cam, ports, heads affect dynamic compression, for example an late closing intake drops dynamic compression by allowing some charge to flow back at lower RPM, but will be just right at peak power, lowering the VE at torque peak but increasing it at peak horsepower, an engine with 85 VE @ torque peak and 70 % VE @ hp peak will be less prone to detonnation than a 95 %VE @torque peak and 65% VE @ hp peak.

Sorry for the headache
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Yeah....the added hit in your wallet.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
hmmm.. I get it.. but then what is the "lamen" to do... go with factory recommendations? I thought every country might have different formulas for figuring Octane... thereby making .. .. Nevermind.. I've lost interest..
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. As for oil I havn't had to change it yet, but I did ask the guy at the local cycle shop and he recomended the red cap stuff they sell there. It had a yamaha label on it but he said it was the same spec stuff for honda. I really dont know cause I'm new to the bike world.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Nevermind.. I've lost interest..

Too late now! Not all, but some different countries have different ways of calculating octane ratings. Fuel specs in the country specific owner's manual account for that.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hammer7205
Guess I figured that they're toys, I run 'em hard and might as well give them the good stuff. I'm going to guess a shitpile of guys will respond they're using 87 octane and have been for ever, so go with your gut...
No, actually, go with the manual, and use 87.

High octane isn't "the good stuff", its just different stuff. Some cars use 87 octane, some use 91, some use diesel. There is no good or bad, just different uses and different prices.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by gboezio
Piston bore size is a factor, the smaller is the aera the faster it can burn completely, the raising the detonation threshold.
A 600 cc 4 banger will tolerate more than a 1000 cc twin or a 650 cc single.
Chamber design and squish aera makes a more turbulent charge, witch burn faster as well.
Heat absorbtion of the head and cylinder, an aluminium head and Nickasil (aluminium plated bore) will absorb more compression heat than a prehistoric iron head and block engine.
Dynamic compression is a factor too, a one liter engine is not pulling a liter of air, at a VE of 90 % close to torque pesk(best efficiency) 900 cc of air is drawn, add a filter, exhaust and you may increase to 95 % VE you get 950cc of air squeezed in there.
Cam, ports, heads affect dynamic compression, for example an late closing intake drops dynamic compression by allowing some charge to flow back at lower RPM, but will be just right at peak power, lowering the VE at torque peak but increasing it at peak horsepower, an engine with 85 VE @ torque peak and 70 % VE @ hp peak will be less prone to detonnation than a 95 %VE @torque peak and 65% VE @ hp peak.

Sorry for the headache
gboezio;

My thoughts exactly! I was going to say all that but I was afraid I'd get a headache. Uh huh.

Seriously, you seem to know what you're talking about so I have a couple of questions. Any idea about the effect ram air has on volumetric efficiency?
I've noticed ram air bikes, the old Kaw zx9r in particular, would turn in better quarter mile ET/speed than bikes with better power to weight ratios based on dyno runs.

What about ignition advance? If you took an engine which ran well on "regular" and began advancing the ignition timing, would you get to a place where it would detonate on regular but run OK on higher octane fuel?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
gboezio;

My thoughts exactly! I was going to say all that but I was afraid I'd get a headache. Uh huh.

Originally Posted by RK1
Seriously, you seem to know what you're talking about so I have a couple of questions. Any idea about the effect ram air has on volumetric efficiency?
I've noticed ram air bikes, the old Kaw zx9r in particular, would turn in better quarter mile ET/speed than bikes with better power to weight ratios based on dyno runs.
It makes sense to use a high pressure aera to draw air from, cool fresh and slightly ramcharged air is definitely good, but only at higher speed of course, but careful not to over rate this effect, the increase is quite small... but free !!
An automotive engineer will probably not call it VE, but will use a separate graph called ram charging.
The VE tables are really relying on the ability of the engine to draw air based on throttle opening versus RPM.
Originally Posted by RK1
What about ignition advance? If you took an engine which ran well on "regular" and began advancing the ignition timing, would you get to a place where it would detonate on regular but run OK on higher octane fuel?
Definitely, any engine will ping if you advance the ignition to the detonation threshold and higher octane fuel will raise a bit this threshold.

Automotive engineers usually aim for max cylinder pressure at 14° ATDC, so ignition is just ahead by the time it takes to get there, but passing by TDC (the smallest combustion volume, the charge need to be lit, but not burnt, if you ignite too soon the higher pressure from the burnt gases will detonate the rest of the mixture outside of the flame front causing a pressure spike 2 or 3 times greater than the normal max cylinder pressure.
Some guys monitor the detonation using a stethoscope, microphones, piezo electric pressure sensors, knock sensors with all the electronic gimmicks to filter the noise and adjust to detonation then take off 3-4°
Another way is the dyno, best power, then it peaks, so just before the curve start to flatten.

Engineers tune an engine by designing the engine and combustion chamber, run a test engine, adjust the max cyl pressure at 14° ATDC with the ignition map, then adjust the compression to the intended fuel.
We build an engine with too much compression, back off the timing to run on premium Or get the timing right and have to stuff ethanol, toluene or expensive octane bottles to our gas since swapping pistons like undies is out of question

If you want to push this even further, there is even a drivability question, with super high compression, the flywheel mass need to be increased for optimal timing to be maintained without the V-twin jerking, to some small gains from higher compression may be losses in weight, rotating weight, ability to dive in corners and the average joe that will stall the engine and fall on the side from the compression hit.

Sorry for the extra headache, but I usually keep this for myself

Last edited by gboezio; 07-24-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Ejection Seat Fixer
Squid

74stingray is on a distinguished road
The ONLY time in anything that I notice a difference, is in my Wifes 2000 Blazer ZR2.... when we tow the ATV's with it 91 octane or higer seems to make the engine run a little better and less pingy..

my 2005 silverado could care less when towing
but there there is a big difference in engine and torque between the two vehicles
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You'll be faster with 91 or 93 octane because your wallet will be MUCH lighter.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
You'll be faster with 91 or 93 octane because your wallet will be MUCH lighter.
That's about the truth, huh......
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
with 93 being 4.17 and 87 bing 3.77, all of your wallet comments are true especially if you commute like me. My ride is 80 miles round trip if I take the 4 lane the whole way. use 87 and save the money for new tires