General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

An alternative to VTR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
An alternative to VTR?

Hi
If this topic has been discussed on other threads, please give me a link or something.
Search option seems unfriendly.

I want to know what bikes are out there, as an alternative to honda VTR 1000 F.
Basically I pretty much know the models, but unfortunately I haven't ridden them..

The list would be :

Suzuki TL 1000 S / R
A bit old, S model very unstable due to rear shock,engine is very good, but it lacks in maneuverability. The R model is heavy and it wants to go fast).Fuel consumption for both bikes is pretty high.

Aprilia RSV Mille (too sporty for my taste, some reported problems with the electronics, it's a bike which you have to fiddle ,unlike the VTR). Fuel consumption not that great, sporty suspension, it's basically a sport /track oriented twin. (like the TLR).

Aprilia Tuono (this would be better than the RSV, but like its sister,it's more expensive than the competition, and it brings same issues as the RSV,although the ride is better for long runs).

Honda VTR SP1/SP2 (out of the question. It's a fine machine,but definitely what I have in mind. This is a bike which really shines on the track,not for commuting or daily use).

So I'm left with the only two viable options:

Suzuki SV 650 N / Suzuki SV 1000 N.

I want a naked bike for a change. I've had it with speed and fairings & etc.
I want a bike with a decent fuel consumption,an engine with torque, with some looks that would please me, I don't want that many HP, i just want more torque and maneuverabilty.

The S versions of the SV are out of the question, I want somethig with a naked look, a round headlight, that sort of look.

After riding the VTR i can't quote get on a SV 650, it would feel a bit numb. It's not a "e-***** matter",as some would tend to judge.

I think my best option would be SV 1000 N.
I understand it doesn't have the thrill of the TL engine,being a bit more tamed, and fuel injected.

I've read here I believe, that some felt that the SV 1000 feels more tamed even than the VTR 1000 F.

I can live with that,especially if the SV has a lower fuel consumption than the VTR.

Any opinions on the SV 1000 N, any feedback from people who tried various twins and can compare them?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Have you looked at the Triumph Speed Triple?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

Yes. I just love the way that bike looks.
but I wanna remain true to the V2 cause, if you know what I mean.
Also, the triple is a great bike but I don't know how it copes with long rides (luggage etc)
Last,but not least: they are much more expensive than the SV let's say...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Kawi Z1000? -It's not a twin, but tuned for street use. Very fun bike when I was on it...

Ducati Monster? I like these bikes a lot.... as far as torque an maneuverability they have a lot to offer.

Hornet? Pretty equivalent to the z1000, but again it's tuned for the street and reliability.

I know that you listed twins, but the Z and Hornet are kinda designed as street/fairingless motorcycles.

IMO from what you described, I wouldn't shy away from the SV650- a lot of bikes will feel like they have less pull and bland than riding a big V like the superhawk. But here is why I hold that they are something to consider: You are able to use more of the bike, which in turn is more fun. From your previous experiences, you will probably want to ride the bike hard again at some point (maybe not as hard as before, but still you obviously like the speed/rush) and with an sv650 or monster 620 less likely to have to hit 100mph before you're feeling anything.

I commute on a little 1988 Shadow600 every day. 40hp when it rolled off the assembly line, and has a cruiser geometry, 1980's technology. I love riding the bike because I can ride ***** to the wall after every stop light. I mean, gunnin' it like the ground behind me is falling into oblivion, and I'll hit 40 mph in town. It's light and small, fits in between traffic well and when I'm riding it very hard I get 45mpg. I've hit 64mpg when I was trying. Don't get a Shadow- after riding a sportbike they just aren't quite the same. What I'm saying is don't discount the fun factor based on motor size...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Ktm superduke?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Ktm superduke?
YES
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
The Monster is your bike.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Kawi Z1000? -It's not a twin, but tuned for street use. Very fun bike when I was on it...

Ducati Monster? I like these bikes a lot.... as far as torque an maneuverability they have a lot to offer.

Hornet? Pretty equivalent to the z1000, but again it's tuned for the street and reliability.

I know that you listed twins, but the Z and Hornet are kinda designed as street/fairingless motorcycles.
4L are out of the question because I really love V2.

The ducati monster is a a sweet piece but it's ok only for in town and short rides.

I want a naked V2, with enough torque and that is a reliable machine,easy (cheap to maintain) , and that can carry many miles for longer trips.
I don't see myself doing a 500 km trip on a monster.
It's not designed to do that.
A SV 1000 N on the other hand,might do the job just fine.

If I were to consider a 4L (god forbid), I really love the bandit & the hornet.
I don't dig the new angled style of the latest nakeds. Such as the Z 750/ Z 1000 or the new hornet etc.

Style wise, the SV 1000 N really does it for me. With that round headlight and sweet tail, twin pipes & those parallel rear led lights..
I hate the crappy clock unit, they should have mounted a unit similar on the 2001 suzuki bandit series, something more classic, or at least give it a rounder shape,not that alien shape...

I do have an important question though,it might sound stupid,but level with me.

I've seen many naked bikes without the usual handlebars (risers), but instead having sport handle bars. For instance, a SV1000N which had lower bars (sport type),like the ones from SV 1000 S.

here's a picture to elaborate what i'm saying: http://p1.bikepics.com/2009%5C10%5C2...12530-full.jpg

looking at the picture,this dude I believe also swaped conventional forks for USD forks.

What exactly do you need to change on the bike to get the lower,sportier bars? (i have a lapsus now and can't remember the english terms for each piece).

Also, is it advisable to mount sport bars on a bike like SV 1000 N?
Doing this would lower the riding position, you would be basically standing the very same like on the SV 1000 S, except you would have NO fairings,right?
Would this increase the fatigue at some extent? putting the same pressure on arms,as the rest of the sport bikes put (such as the VTR 1000 F etc)?

Last edited by insider; 07-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by insider
I don't dig the new angled style of the latest nakeds. Such as the Z 750/ Z 1000 or the new hornet etc.
Get a somewhat older one then . I agree, though.

What you're talking about are risers vs clip-ons... clip ons are the "sportier" ones attached to the forks.

It sounds like you know what you want, and get what you want cause that's what you'll ride. What you're doing to the SV1000 isn't really making your argument against the monster or sv650 hold much ground.

You can tour on lots of bikes, 600rr's, monsters, I've taken my little shadow on a 900 mile trip to Cali (when I was told at the time that I shouldn't do it on anything less than a 1200cc cruiser)- it just depends on your preferences. Lots of people tour on SV's, some wouldn't do it on anything other than a BMW. Some consider motorcycles a ridiculous mode of transportation in general.

Ducati touring discussion:
Ducati Monster... Adventure? - ADVrider
Old 07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Do you like the classic retro ducat's? They have been around enough years that could get cheaper used.
The sv1000 is a great alternative to the superhawk. The engine is as useful. Suspension is just as budget. If you weren't so stuck on the round headlight the vstrom would do all you want and basically has the tl Suzuki engine and can do everything well. And of course a rubber mounted sportster is cheap and definitely has a classic look round headlight included and tons of torque.

Good luck. You'll have to decide if its a look you are after and sacrifice some function- or the function and maybe not the exact look you want.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Back Marker

7moore7:
Thanks for the time & input.

There are lots of things which I have to take in account for the next bike.
The most decissive ,unfortunately is money.

I don't want the impossible, just a bike at which I can look with joy, a bike that will bring a smile on my face when I ride it, a bike that sounds nice, and a bike which is to some extent easy /cheap to maintain and which I can take on several trips without fearing that something will break on the way.

We've all seen that dude that toured the world on a Yamaha R1 ,of course you can tour on gixxer , Monster 620, monster S4R, KTM super duke, and all sorts of machines..

The fact of the matter is that on some bikes touring is easier than on other...

SV 1000 N isn't that expensive (they start at probably 2800 eur to 3500 eur), they're not that old (like VTR), they started makin the SV 1000 from 2003. The FI might be somehow primitive,but it's ok.
Fuel consumption is probably 8 % in town (unlike 10.4 % on my VTR),and probably 5-6 % outside city limits, if you keep it below 130 km/h (and being a naked,I would see no point on flooring it over 140 km/h).

I think the 1000 N has some pull advantages over the 650N if you carry another person or more luggage.. and it's probably a more stable bike.

If I were to choose with my mind, I'd probably choose a SV 650N (from 2003 onwards).
If I had to choose with my 'heart', I'd choose the 1000 N.

Only Beemer that would interest me ,would be a 2007 BMW F800S.
has enough torque (max torque at 5800 RPM), 86 Nm, 85 hp, very nice for touring (fuel constumption blows away the competition 3.9% - 4.5 %) etc..
But that's a bit more pricey than the SV 1000N and it doesn't deliver that much 'style' & 'heart'..
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby
Do you like the classic retro ducat's? They have been around enough years that could get cheaper used.
The sv1000 is a great alternative to the superhawk. The engine is as useful. Suspension is just as budget. If you weren't so stuck on the round headlight the vstrom would do all you want and basically has the tl Suzuki engine and can do everything well. And of course a rubber mounted sportster is cheap and definitely has a classic look round headlight included and tons of torque.

Good luck. You'll have to decide if its a look you are after and sacrifice some function- or the function and maybe not the exact look you want.
to what model of ducati are you reffering exactly? I tend to believe that no ducati model would be adequate for what i want.
Style wise YES. Function wise/reliability wise, no

Yes, I forgot about the V-STROM. It's the IDEAL bike for what I want, but believe me, I cannot sit on a bike like that. I really hate the way it looks.
I can't buy a bike unless it doesn't make my heart tinkle a bit,everyone of us knows that..
Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Moto Guzzi seems to fit a few of your requirements.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

Moto Guzzi is somehow a rare machine, especially on my roads..I'd be better off with a Ducati, if you know what i mean...
Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I would get something like an FZ1 and let the engine help me forget about my prejudice against inline fours.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280
I would get something like an FZ1 and let the engine help me forget about my prejudice against inline fours.
You got it all wrong mate
it's not PREJUDICE

i've ridden inline fours ( 600 RR, GSX R 750) etc
They just don't do it for me.
I love the torque & SOUND of V2.... if you can cope with that..
Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

You got it all wrong mate
it's not PREJUDICE

i've ridden inline fours ( 600 RR, GSX R 750) etc
They just don't do it for me.
I love the torque & SOUND of V2.... if you can cope with that..
Yeah, I get all that. I own a VTR, but the FZ1 will stomp all over it, including in the torque department.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its true if you get an older inline 4 or one not a race replica and in the 1000+ category, the torque is really very good and not revvy.

the ducati i was talking about were these. I think the GT had reasonable bars and they looked very nice. Used the aircooled vtwin - good torque etc:

Ducati GT1000 (retro SportClassic) - The V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts Forum
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280
Yeah, I get all that. I own a VTR, but the FZ1 will stomp all over it, including in the torque department.
The FZ1 will have just slightly more torque than a VTR let's say,or SV, but it will have it at around 10.000 RPM, not around 7000 RPM like the V-twins...
that's the whole deal.
I don't wanna rev the crap out of an engine to get it going...I don't dig the riding style of the 4L. I know most 4L will pull from lower revs,not needing to hit the 10.000 rpm to get going,yet they don't have the pull of V2.

The FZ1 will stomp all over it,but you agree it won't put the same smile on your face as the VTR does..
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Squid

nick_packer is on a distinguished road
This thread is about all of the read ups I've done on other bikes to find anything in comparison. The VTR is just flat out in its own category. Yes, there are similarities in relation to the SVs and Ducatis but, there's just something about the VTR that makes me want to keep mine forever. Not many people have them, we all are the select few, and most of us know the ins and outs of the bike and know what to expect.

Inline 4s may be real cool, but like I tell everyone else, I just don't like the sound they make. The throaty sound of the VTR is a unique sound and I get compliments everywhere I go just like most of you. I understand your fuel consumption problem, but have a look at the ones you are suggesting. Granted fuel prices are a little higher nowadays, but how much is it going to impact your pocket book?

I guess I'm missing the true reason on why you're looking or for your curiosity in other bikes relevant. Just for the info?

Stick with a Honda... it'll stick with you.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I agree with a lot of these folks: I would probably look at a SV650 for the money. If you want more bike and don’t feel like going with an I4, consider the now discontinued Monster 800 S2R.

If you want giggles at all cost, get a Buell XB9S and switch over to the single headlight.

If you don’t mind retro, take a look at the Triumph Bonneville. (I like the Scrambler, but this is a 70s thing for me. One of my first bikes was a scrambler) This is a sort of jack-of-all-trades / master-of-none bike, but some folks over at that forum have gotten them down to around 440lbs, which makes for a lot of bike.

If you want to stick with a fairing, I like the BMW F800 and Ducati ST2/ST4. The old Triumph Sprint RS is very close to the VTR, maybe a tad heavier, but probably better for touring duty. The I3 is a wonderful powerplant, but possibly closer to the feel of a V4 than a V2.

Toss in the Tiger 675 and Verseys 650 to really make things interesting. Or really
scramble your eggs and look at the Yamaha Warrior.

CR
Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nick_packer
I guess I'm missing the true reason on why you're looking or for your curiosity in other bikes relevant. Just for the info?

Stick with a Honda... it'll stick with you.
Got my first VTR in late autumn 2009 (first bike). It was a yellow '00 VTR
Crashed it on 23 march 2010. My fault (trying to pass in the city on continuous line & all other factors).

Got 2nd yellow VTR this year, in MARCH. Crashed it 3 weeks ago...

I don't care about judging people. Some might start with crap like "you don't know how to ride,you don't etc etc etc".

If I didn't know how to ride, I would have crashed them much sooner. It's not like the VTR is a forgiving machine.

I crashed because I got cocky.
Pushing the bike beyond her limits in a bend or pushing your luck in mid-town traffic will result in failure. As it did in my case, twice.

Why do I want to move away from the VTR now?

First I thought it was a psychological barrier. I was telling myself that I mustn't ride sport bikes anymore because a sport bike is for a person who KNOWS when it's ok to floor it, and when it's ok to go easy. I thought I was the type of lunatic that will always get into trouble on a sports bike.

But the facts aren't so, I'm not gonna chicken **** in front of my inner-self.

I've ridden other sport bikes and the only reason I wanna move to something different,to a different class is because I feel the need to. Not because I'm afraid I might crash a third VTR. If I'd feel that I'd give up riding altogether.

I can't get a bike (VTR) which made me spend my two month's salary on gas in 3 and a half months...

Yes, the fuel consumtion is the main reason that makes me part away from this bike.

Indeed, the bike is in its own class. That's why my 2nd bike was also a VTR (also yellow like the first).
I was about to sell it if I wouldn't have crashed it..

The roads are too bad here to try and be sporty, the traffic is too fucked up, the drivers are too careless and unaware of the bikers... this is not Netherlands,this is not Spain,or some other civilized country where respect is mutual in traffic.

So there is no need for me to ride a bike on bad roads,on bad traffic, with low fuel mileage.. why have a bike that can provide you with fun factor from 90 km/h to 180km/h on twisties when you can't do it ,because of the roads and fearing that some ******* cow will pop out after the next curve, or some cow **** will pop out on the next corner..

That's why I need to move to something like the SV,where I can enjoy the ride, at a slower pace, and still enjoy the twisties.. I mean you don't have to go 150 km/h in a bend to feel like you're riding, the way i crashed at 150km/h 3 weeks ago...

I wanna go places with the bike. Didn't have a chance with the VTR,because of all that misfortune and didn't wanna spend a fortune on the gas....

Hope this answers your question..
Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

@ Crashrat: thanks for your input.
The Monster S4R/ S2R is a lovely machine..I admit I haven't ridden one,but by all means, i have no doubt it's special. I love everything about that bike,but as I explained earlier, in a upper post, I can't see me touring on a monster..

I do believe that to service a SV 1000 N would be more cost effective than to service a Ducati monster, especially in this area...
Buell is also out of the question, because they are dead rare around here... -> hence trouble with maintenance.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Monsters are fine for light touring. Really. The seats are loads better than the VTR’s and the ergos are easier all around. The 800 had the normal clutch and a lot of goodies from higher-priced models so it’s a good bet. Ducati maintenance is an issue for some, though I think a lot of folks are capable of handling it themselves.

The same is true of the Buell, really. You are dealing with an engine that’s not a lot more complicated than a lawn mower. If you do need service – and you’re like me and can’t even fix a lawn mower – you can usually find a HD shop that can do 90% of the work on a Buell.

I had a Cyclone and my local HD (in the middle of Western North Carolina) was happy to work on it. This is admittedly a dealer-by-dealer / shop-by-shop thing – some HD places HATE Buells – but you are probably at least as likely to get a good HD mechanic in the middle of nowhere (USA) as an experienced Suzuki wrench.

You’ll find something that tickles you in the right way. The big SV would be way down on my list, but that’s me. I’d rather have a TL1000S with a retrofitted shock. It’s just a lot more bike in the same basic package. (The little SV is a true classic, but it sounds like you want a bigger bike for some reason..?)

I’d look at Bandit 1200 before the SV1000, even though like you I’m much more of a twin (or even triple / singles) sort of guy. I wonder how the torque curve lines up on those two machines…?

The FZ1 kills both these bikes as does the new naked CBR1000RR and the Z1000, but these are different sorts of bikes.

Best thing is test ride your top five, of course. You’re bound to be surprised.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

I worry about the emphasis that you're putting on the fuel consumption... big sportbikes just aren't designed with this in mind. Even touring bikes don't really account for this that much, really (they just have bigger tanks). Also, the monster is relatively low maintenance for a ducati- wet clutch and all that. That being said, go with what your heart says... you will probably always wonder cause you've been talking about that SV for awhile...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
@ Crashrat: thanks for your input.
The Monster S4R/ S2R is a lovely machine..I admit I haven't ridden one,but by all means, i have no doubt it's special. I love everything about that bike,but as I explained earlier, in a upper post, I can't see me touring on a monster..

I do believe that to service a SV 1000 N would be more cost effective than to service a Ducati monster, especially in this area...
Buell is also out of the question, because they are dead rare around here... -> hence trouble with maintenance.

I don't know if it's ignorance or what, but you're casting aside some excellent advice.

By the way, the later Monster S4R is not a maintenance heavy motor. The intervals are like 6k miles or something. You won't be touring for 6k damn miles. Also, except for changing oil Buells are absolutely maintenance free. No valve adjustments, no chain to oil, there isn't even water to check. I had 0 problems with mine in over 10k miles. The only thing I did to it was change oil and tires. The R/Firebolt was even very comfortable to ride long distances.

If you already knew what you want, why did you ask for our advice.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
SuperBike

The FZ1 will have just slightly more torque than a VTR let's say,or SV, but it will have it at around 10.000 RPM, not around 7000 RPM like the V-twins...
that's the whole deal.
I don't wanna rev the crap out of an engine to get it going...I don't dig the riding style of the 4L. I know most 4L will pull from lower revs,not needing to hit the 10.000 rpm to get going,yet they don't have the pull of V2.

The FZ1 will stomp all over it,but you agree it won't put the same smile on your face as the VTR does..
You might want to look at some dyno charts of FZ1s, especially the 1st generation ones. They have a very flat torque curve and don't require that you "rev the crap out of" them to get going.
I could be just as smiley on an FZ1 as I am on my VTR.

Last edited by killer5280; 07-30-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:18 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Can we be honest? What Italian or American or British bike manufacturer has the maintenance schedule and service history of the Jap4? Yeah, I am having a hard time with that too. If you want FE and a v2, and Japanese, the sv650 gets 55mpg with FI. It is a hard bike to beat. I would buy one in a second if I were in the right position. In fact, I believe my next bike will be the vstrom 650. I can't wait...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Back Marker

@Noob & others: It's not ignorance. I believe you are the ones who didn't read everything what I've posted here...
I don't live in the sort of place where you can get parts that easily.
That's why i'm running away from exotic models such as Moto Guzzi, Buell, even Ducati...

Even if I would be able to get parts for these bikes, they would be much more expensive (i'd pay MORE than you would pay for them),and I'd have to wait much much longer for them to arrive.

I'm not an idiot and obviously I'm not ignoring your advices..

The Ducati Monster is a fine machine, but why pay MORE for something less powerfull,driven by timing belt, etc. I mean in a direct comparison between the SV 1000 N and Monster S2R, the only advantage the monster has, in my opinion is looks and brand (heritage). I can see myself putting two travelling bags easier on the SV rather on the S2R.
As somebody said, I won't tour for thousand's of km,yet I do plan to take some longer than average trips..

7moore7: I don't expect a 1000cc bike to have a fuel consumption of 4 % or 5%, but th SV definitely beats the VTR hands down at this department.
I don't expect to get a 1000cc v-twin that will have a 5% in town,but not 10.4 % which the VTR had.... c'mon..

Yes indeed, my mind is pretty much made up, but I just wanted out to hear out other opinions,after all this is a discussion board, we can argue,we can discuss, as long as we do it in a civilized manner.
And I DO thank you all for your advices, even if at some points we don't agree.. You can't please 'em all ,after all

Last edited by insider; 07-31-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I had the opportunity to spend an entire afternoon with an almost new FZ1. Killer is right - it's the next new Superhawk - even sounds a little like one.

First place I went was the gas station. Then I did all the normal **** around town that I usually do. Some local roads, some freeway, some down tight in the neighborhoods. The bike is flawless, new tech, got a buddy that is one of the lead mechanics at a local Yamaha shop that hates it - it never breaks, it never needs anything but tires, fuel and occasional oil change. It's the tractor the Superhawk was - just updated.

If you limit your equipment you're not riding it - you're a poser. Go buy a Harley.

Quick Reply: An alternative to VTR?