General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Aloha from Hawai'i

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Aloha from Hawai'i

Hi everyone just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jake, I live on the Big Island of Hawai'i and I recently acquired a 00' Superhawk. I guess I'll start I originally began to ride motorcycles in 2006. I had a Kawasaki zx-6r or 636. I dropped it once going 60 of course still learning how to ride. Due to money issues I sold it and didn't get a new bike for a while. Almost 5 years later after selling the bike I finally decided to get back into riding. My friend had a 00 Superhawk he wanted to get rid of due to him moving. It is in relatively good shape for a bike thats 12 years old. I've had it for a week now and am really happy with the purchase. Changed the oil the other day of course still getting used to riding again but a very good bike indeed. Anyhow I'm sure you will hear more from me as time goes on and as I work the bike more and more. Aloha!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! Look forward to hearing your questions.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum, don't forget to use the search box, but feel free to ask questions
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha Jake,

Welcome to the forum. I am also from the Big Island. You must be from the West Side?
Lots of invaluable info here. Keep in touch and take care of the prerequisites, mostly the CCTs and the R/R- if not previously done.

Ride Well...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Squid

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. NHSH definitely know about the search bar lol. Indeed been contemplating taking the bike in and having the cct redone. I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough of a mechanic to get the timing right and I don't want to risk smashing the valves. In your opinion the ape cct are great yea? From what I've been reading it seems to be the answer rather than just getting another oem cct. And I doubt the r/-r was replaced though I'm pretty good with electrical stuff so that shouldn't be too hard. And yes onomea west side, kohala in particular

Last edited by JakeT; 10-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Yes, R/R is Regulator/Rectifier.

Mine went out about 8 years ago on my way to Kona.
Did not know what was wrong at the time. Pushed the bike about a mile to the old
location of Kiser Honda. Was a hot day and I was in full leathers. Got a new battery
and 2 days later did the diagnosis for electrical. I got one from a Yamaha R-1 with the fins and it has given me no problems since.

Did my Mccts about 3 months ago. Got a couple of members of the forum that sell the
Manual Cam Chain Tensioners(MCCTs). Good deals, well constructed, and keeping it in
the community. No problems with my stock CCTS, just for peace of mind.

Do the searches, then ask questions if any. Lots of Ubergurus here.

A pic would be solid. Did you pick up the Yellow one from Kailua?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Squid

I just took off the seat and looked it appears to have been changed already not sure with what r/r but its definitely isn't stock has fins not like the stock ones. Mccts how often do you have to adjust yours. From what I've been reading not for a long time I don't stunt or anything like that so shouldn't be too much wear on the cam chain. And Yes I bought the yellow one from kona. Funny story actually, it was my friends bike prior to the guy in kona. He sold it and I guess he never got his license or anything and his wife made him sell it. Being I knew how much he payed for it I was able to get a deal on it. Im assuming it has the stock cct and so far no problems *knock on wood* but like yourself I would probably like to change it for peace of mind. I don't plan on having the bike forever but would like to avoid ruining it.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
I just took off the seat and looked it appears to have been changed already not sure with what r/r but its definitely isn't stock has fins not like the stock ones. Mccts how often do you have to adjust yours. From what I've been reading not for a long time I don't stunt or anything like that so shouldn't be too much wear on the cam chain. And Yes I bought the yellow one from kona. Funny story actually, it was my friends bike prior to the guy in kona. He sold it and I guess he never got his license or anything and his wife made him sell it. Being I knew how much he payed for it I was able to get a deal on it. Im assuming it has the stock cct and so far no problems *knock on wood* but like yourself I would probably like to change it for peace of mind. I don't plan on having the bike forever but would like to avoid ruining it.
You can ID the R/R by looking on the end opposite the terminals for the part number. If it starts with FHxxx then it's a Shindengen FET shunt style R/R. This is the preferred replacement. If not....almost anything is better than the stock unit.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
You can ID the R/R by looking on the end opposite the terminals for the part number. If it starts with FHxxx then it's a Shindengen FET shunt style R/R. This is the preferred replacement. If not....almost anything is better than the stock unit.
the number on the rr is sh 693 12 which appears to be a cbr 900 rectifier. does the cbr r/r have the same issues? if so i imagine it should be replaced then
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Squid

nvm found the stivcky
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard JakeT -you'll find a lot of great people on this forum!!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard JakeT & welcome back to motorcycling. As with any new/used bike, be sure to go over it good. Personally i'd start by retourqing all bolts & nuts. You didn't mention the color of your bike. Hopefully you got a RED one which we all know is the fastest. Send pics! ENJOY!