General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Advice Needed

OK guys, this is my first post here after surfing the forum but not really finding what I am looking for.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 2003 Super Hawk 996 with just under 3600 miles on it. It comes with a Jardin high mount kit, bar extenders and a Corbin seat plus all the original replacement parts for 5500 all in.

After speaking to a "sort of friend" about this he interjected that it was near impossible to keep the front end on the ground when in first and second gears. In addition, he told me that due to this, you can't ride with a passenger ever.......

Now I do have some riding experience, I owned a 86 Interceptor for about 4 years throughout the 90's and rode dirt up until last year. I LOVE the idea of the power and torque this bike apparently has but do not have any desire to wheelie every time I want to go somewhere not to mention I would like to have the option of bringing the wife once in a while.

Could all you Superhawk riders please ring in and let me know your thoughts. as these really are the only two things stopping me from purchasing this machine. Please keep in mind I am 6'2 and 290 lbs so it's not like I am a small guy who can't handle a larger machine. Also, what is the difference between the VTR and the Superhawk......
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grizz
OK guys, this is my first post here after surfing the forum but not really finding what I am looking for.

I am on the verge of purchasing a 2003 Super Hawk 996 with just under 3600 miles on it. It comes with a Jardin high mount kit, bar extenders and a Corbin seat plus all the original replacement parts for 5500 all in.

A little high in this market, but if it's perfect...try to get it down a bit

After speaking to a "sort of friend" about this he interjected that it was near impossible to keep the front end on the ground when in first and second gears. In addition, he told me that due to this, you can't ride with a passenger ever.......

absolutes are so... absolute. If you nail it in first, it will come up. That's what that linkage between the throttle and engine is for. You have to work it a little to get it up in second, in most cases. I enjoy riding w/ a passenger - always.

Now I do have some riding experience, I owned a 86 Interceptor for about 4 years throughout the 90's and rode dirt up until last year. I LOVE the idea of the power and torque this bike apparently has but do not have any desire to wheelie every time I want to go somewhere not to mention I would like to have the option of bringing the wife once in a while.

It will wheelie everytime if you want it to.

It will not wheelie every time if you don't want it to.

Could all you Superhawk riders please ring in and let me know your thoughts. as these really are the only two things stopping me from purchasing this machine. Please keep in mind I am 6'2 and 290 lbs so it's not like I am a small guy who can't handle a larger machine. Also, what is the difference between the VTR and the Superhawk......

I'm 6'3" 230#

VTR1000F = Super Hawk

Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
VTR and Superhawk are one and same. No problem with keeping the front wheel on the ground (although it can be made to lift too if desired). I think your friend got carried away inthe hype dept. As for a passenger, granted I only weigh 165 lb, but I have ridden thousands of miles with a passenger so it can be done.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
He's nuts. It's a fun bike with more than enough power but no problem with passengers or keeping the wheel down. Buy it - you wont regret it!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Every Superhawk I've ever seen always has the front wheel in the air, passenger or not. They're even like that if you park them.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
It is easier to get the front up on VTR than a VFR but it still takes effort to do. Its not gonna try to loop as soon as you hit the throttle like a CR500 wants to. But at 290 if you slide way back to the rear of the seat and twist her up, you will be able to get it up.

I too rode a mid 80s VFR for a years, and to me the VTR has similar qualities. You just trade the gear drive whine for v twin roar. Your going to love it.

You should be able to get the bike for closer to $4k

Last edited by Moto Man; 02-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Squid

11strings is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Every Superhawk I've ever seen always has the front wheel in the air, passenger or not. They're even like that if you park them.
You noticed this too?

Grizz - GREAT bike. I've ridden with several different passengers ranging from 110, to even 170lbs. Sure, if you roll on it in first or second hard, of course it's going to stand up. Came factory with over 100hp. The fact is, it's going to do that no matter who or what you have sitting where. You said you used to ride dirt - I've been told that the feeling of a Hawk is comperable to a YZ450. I've only been on one once, but from what I know, I'd say that's a reasonable comparrison. Buy the bike. You won't regret it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you want the front in the air you twist it a bit more... If not a bit less... It's that simple...

Though if you twist it like on you old interceptor the first time you try you'll probably scare yourself... A lot... It has a bit more of a temper than an interceptor...

A thing to note though at 290 lbs you'll probably want to upgrade the front springs especially if you are going to use it 2-up regularly... They are on the soft side for a larger rider alone, and even more so when a larger rider has a passenger on the back...

Oh and you don't need to listen to all us nut cases talking about swapping out the entire front end... A pair of new springs for the correct weight and a valve/shimstack for that weight and you are set with very little money spent... Altough if you want to... Just ask and you'll know more than you want to...

Altough if your friends statement was true that wouldn't matter as the front was only used for parking...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-18-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to go with the Shawk.

Now does anyone know what the pointed handlebar extensions are called? Also, I am considering extending the half ferring.....does anyone know of any sites I could consider

Originally Posted by Moto Man
You should be able to get the bike for closer to $4k
Unfortunately, I am in Canada so things are a little more expensive in the frosty north for whatever reason.

Last edited by Grizz; 02-18-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

BTW, earlier versions of the VTR (pre-2005?) are known as the Firestorm in Canada (as it was in the world outside the US)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
there's a world outside the US? they don't teach us that in school.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to go with the Shawk.

Now does anyone know what the pointed handlebar extensions are called? Also, I am considering extending the half ferring.....does anyone know of any sites I could consider

Unfortunately, I am in Canada so things are a little more expensive in the frosty north for whatever reason.

you mean bar ends?

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws...us=bs&caz.html
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

"there's a world outside the US? they don't teach us that in school"

thankfully, your new President seems to be aware of the existence of the rest of the planet, quite a change from the previous one....
Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
thats a lie. ive hit the gas with a passenger tons of times in first and second gear with no problems keeping the front end on the ground. thats actually one thing thats nice about the hawk, you have to try to wheelie them, they wont just pop up on you randomly. at least not very often, if you have throttle control.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
you mean bar ends?
I know, I really felt retarded having to ask the questions to begin with

Thanks for providing me the link though......
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
We all live in Amerika. Or at least Rammstein thinks so.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
"there's a world outside the US? they don't teach us that in school"

thankfully, your new President seems to be aware of the existence of the rest of the planet, quite a change from the previous one....
Na-ah... The previous one did know it existed... He just hadn't figured out what to do with that knowledge yet... And like all the cave men before him he treated anything unknown as hostile and went to war with it...

Alternatively when that didn't produce the desired result he tried his best to ignore it's presence completely...

Not the most effective strategy... But I didn't expect more from him anyways...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

I know, I really felt retarded having to ask the questions to begin with

Thanks for providing me the link though......

just go to ebay and search VTR and Super Hawk SuperHawk VTR1000F VTR1000 etc. and it's fairing...

search mario nava here

http://web.tiscalinet.it/mario_nava/vtr1000_e.html
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Where are you in Canada? I'm in the Durham Region area around Toronto Ontario.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Thanks for the reply.....

One other thing I would like to know but can't seem to find and information is with reference to the size of the machine. As stated earlier, I am a bigger guy and don't want to look like an elephant humping a football like I do when I am on my friends R1. Is the Superhawk a larger bike? I am told that it is very short but what about the overall presence and height.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Originally Posted by bowhawk
Where are you in Canada? I'm in the Durham Region area around Toronto Ontario.

I'm in Calgary, Alberta....way out in the prairies.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the reply.....

One other thing I would like to know but can't seem to find and information is with reference to the size of the machine. As stated earlier, I am a bigger guy and don't want to look like an elephant humping a football like I do when I am on my friends R1. Is the Superhawk a larger bike? I am told that it is very short but what about the overall presence and height.
It's slightly larger than the R1... But not that much... at 6 feet 2, you are going to look like that elephant on most bikes unfortunately...

Short? the hawk is short?! compared to what? Actually the bike is rather long compared to the race replica bikes because it's a sport-touring machine... (actually more sport-touring if you ask me... but I like it... )
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
I'm in Calgary as well, we'll have to hook up in spring for a ride if you end up getting it. As far as Canadian prices go that sound like a decent deal. If your looking for a lower fairing google VTR1000 pyramid lower, I just got one and it looks great. A little pricy but worth it I think.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
MotoGP

Once youtube gets their servers in gear there is a video here... I'm shown a few seconds in... I'm 6'3" and about 205...

Ok, since youtube is so pc it's stupid... link here instead... http://tweety.se/Film.wmv

Last edited by Tweety; 02-18-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

If anyone in Canada is looking for a Sharkskinz lower PM me and I can give you a great price on one.

I just want to clarify that my reason for singling out Canadians is that I looked into shipping it to the US and the cost of doing so is absolutely outrageous....
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/1/16530/img_8113.jpg
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

I was under the impression that it was a shorter bike. A friend told me that he did not like the VTR as it was too short for him. As a result he rides a ZX-12.

Originally Posted by g_clarke_2008
I'm in Calgary as well, we'll have to hook up in spring for a ride if you end up getting it. As far as Canadian prices go that sound like a decent deal. If your looking for a lower fairing google VTR1000 pyramid lower, I just got one and it looks great. A little pricy but worth it I think.
For sure, there are several people who all work in my field more or less who will be going out this summer. The more the better!!! Where in Calgary do you live? I am in the deep south near Spruce Meadows.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Na-ah... The previous one did know it existed... He just hadn't figured out what to do with that knowledge yet... And like all the cave men before him he treated anything unknown as hostile and went to war with it...

Alternatively when that didn't produce the desired result he tried his best to ignore it's presence completely...

Not the most effective strategy... But I didn't expect more from him anyways...

+1 Tweety. You got that spot on!

The VTR isn't some maniac wheelie machine. I haul my wife occcasionally with no trouble at all. I too have the Jardine high mounts and absolutely love the music that eminates from them. You'll love the beast! For reference, I paid $3500 US for a stock 2000 w/ 3600mi. Like Moto Man stated, you should be able to get him down closer to 4k.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
I'm in the deeper south in Auburn Bay. I moved here from Red Deer at the end of last summer and have no one down here to ride with so I would love to join up with you guys! My bike is over at GW Cycle getting some work done so it'll be ready for sprin but if you can wait a few days you would be welcome to come look at it so you can get an idea of size.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Originally Posted by g_clarke_2008
I'm in the deeper south in Auburn Bay. I moved here from Red Deer at the end of last summer and have no one down here to ride with so I would love to join up with you guys! My bike is over at GW Cycle getting some work done so it'll be ready for sprin but if you can wait a few days you would be welcome to come look at it so you can get an idea of size.
Absolutely, that would be great!! We would be more than happy to have you come along for the ride, as I said, the more the better!! Besides, this way if anyone teases me about the strange bike I'll have an ally....it's the whole safety in numbers thing

Drop me a PM with your e-mail and we can exchange numbers.......by the way, my name is Dean