General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Admit it...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Admit it...

So my son and I took an overnight trip this week, 766 miles in 2-days. My son rode the SH, I rode the Interceptor. This is the first trip together on these bikes. I noticed while crusing the interstate that my speedo was showing 100+. This was very surprising to me, I am used to my HD, which I normally cruise at 65 or 70mph. My first reaction was to slow down, but I will admit, I said F-it, and kept going. Have you ever done that? JB
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Sure. I look down quite often and realize im cruising 90-95 mph. Whats funny is, im not really flying by other cars. Speed Limit is an outdated term.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dshakes
Sure. I look down quite often and realize im cruising 90-95 mph. Whats funny is, im not really flying by other cars. Speed Limit is an outdated term.

Well, that and the speedo is seriously optimistic. A lot depends on your gearing. With my 43 tooth rear a true 50mph shows about 58. I zip up to "100" all the time - but really it is only about 88 or so.

At least that will be my story to the cop if I'm ever pulled over!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
The speedometer that I was looking at was the VFR's which is probably fairly accurate (and digital), my son thinks we are crusing a bit over 112mph based on the SH speedo when I see 100mph, I continue to let him think that, it is easier that way... The PO put a 15T sprocket on the front. Agreed, we are not flying past cars, dashing by might be a better description.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Haha yeah its happened to me aswell. I look down and I'm doing 120 -130 mph. Accidentally of course
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk and the VFR's speedo's are a bit optimistic. Doesn't mean you're not moving though...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Sneaky fast is how I refer to the superhawk. It doesn't seem like your going that fast, until you look down at the speedo.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I ride at 100+ almost every time I ride. Except it's 100+ kph not mph.
It's the law in Ontario that if you're caught going 50 kph. over the speed limit, your bike is impounded for a week and your licence is suspended for the same length of time. The minimum fine is $2,000. The fee for towing and storage could be $750 or more. The police like to lay this charge and they rarely, if ever, exercise their discretion not to.
I'm very careful about speed when I ride in the USA. Anyone else ever tried not to exceed 35 mph. on Skyline Drive? It's agony. Anyone else ever have an unproductive chat at the side of the road with a state trooper who's clocked you going 69 mph. in a 55 mph. zone?
I figure that the people who ride regularly on interstates at 85+ must have a very special lucky charm or holy relic or a magical power that they trust to keep themselves out of trouble.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nu-uh... Never ever... If I'm moving I know my speed... The local law around here is more likely to ticket you for going 100 in 50 zone (I'm talking km/h) than your actual 75 unless you know how fast you where going... If I'm getting a ticket it better be right... No, you don't get the ticket "thrown out" here, doesn't work that way... You just pay it and that's it... And the higher it is, the more expensive...

Doesn't mean I'm not doing silly speed on occasion though... On the freeway unless you are doing anything stupid they leave you alone... I regularly pass them doing way over the limit without them giving me a second look...
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
My speedos been corrected and verified. The worst is the city. If I don't have anyone to pace ill often find myself ding 50 mph or so. The bikes just so smooth and at the speed limit it feels like I'm going too slow.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have a 2006 VFR800 and know what you mean. Easy to do that speed, it is nice and comfortable. But I did it knowingly, in a remote area away from police.

In Australia you will get booked anywhere, and showing discretion is a thing of the past. Speed cameras are placed in areas of high traffic, not just where accidents happen. In one state you will be fined and lose points off your licence for being 3km/hr over the speed limit. That is 1.875 m/ph over the limit. Pharkers!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
What surprises me is cruising along in 3rd about 60mph down a back road, hitting a little rise in the pavement telling myself to just do a little wheelie off it, then when I land almost a half mile later I'm doing over a 100! Deceptive these bikes are...