General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

97 rwhp from my stock hawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
97 rwhp from my stock hawk

My engine is stock except for a very open exhaust. It put down 97 hp and 63 ft/lb last week. I hear some are getting 106-108 with exhaust/jetting/k&n.

What do you have and what can it do on the dyno?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
104 rwhp (Can't remember the torque)... Staintune exhaust, Two Bros Header, Factory jet kit, Stock air filter
Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
denmah had 107rwhp and 70ft-lbs of torque with k&N, yosh cans, and jets.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I got 104/67 on my original 98 with only staintunes w/o the restrictor, no jet kit.

This was on a dyno-jet dyno. If yours was on a current-eddy dyno, those readings are always lower by about 10% so 97 would be about right.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Superstock

denmah
Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
denmah had 107rwhp and 70ft-lbs of torque with k&N, yosh cans, and jets.
thats 108hp kiddo. and 70.5 ftlbs hahaha
Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

what is it now though? 0hp 0ft-lbs
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
that hawk is in the past tense now? what a shame
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
SuperBike

no. it's in past tense for being that's what it dyno'd awhile back. right now it's apart in pieces on the floor of his garage :P
Old 06-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Squid

seattlesucks
102+rwhp, 70something ft#s torque.

Jardine highflow exhaust system, -1t on the front sprocket. Everything else is stock.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

I'm curious as to what the Original Poster is considering to be a VERY OPEN EXHAUST.... I'm willing to bet anyone without a stock exhaust is going to consider theirs to be an open exhaust
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
100.1, 64 Lb feet of torque. Stock, after break-in. Now it's re-jetted and bafflectomized, oh and -1/+2 re-gearing, so I've got no idea what she'd put down now.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Superstock

denmah
with gearing i would show better numbers. lol
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Did anyone who didn't mention their gearing have something other than stock sprocket sizes?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
Denmah, what Jetting do you have and is your exhaust a complete "system" or what ?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Superstock

denmah
i have dynojet 185 and 184 i think... and kn filter, and yoshimura carbon slips.

i have video of the dyno on streetfire.net

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...5EC25F068C.htm

i love it when he gets on the gas at like 3k, and she just pushes the suspension GRUNT!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Superstock

denmah
oh and to the original poster. if you have a modified exhust on a stock bike you are most definately loosing hp.

you would have to re-jet to maintain correct air fuel ratio, even if you pull the baffles out. so if you have an extremely open exhaust on a superhawk im betting your powerband is feeling pretty soft in some areas.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
SuperBike

gearing won't affect the power output at all. gearing is calculated into the mix so whatever changes you make the power doesn't change. will feel like it changes though
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Superstock

denmah
so when are you going to dyno 109hp and knock me off my highhorse buddy?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM
SuperBike

soon. very soon. I'll make sure to throw a 5 shot under my seat to make sure
Old 06-22-2006, 03:11 PM
SuperSport

I wouldn't have thought whp would have the gearing cancelled out.

The gear ratio contributes to the torque on the rear wheel. Of course horsepower is calculated mathematically from torque.

Would anyone care to confirm or deny my suspicions? I'm awfully skeptical.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:57 PM
SuperBike

ok I'm sorry. what will happen is torque will increase but your hp will most definetely drop with a larger sprocket in the rear. good example of such:
http://www.car-videos.net/articles/h...wer_torque.asp

hp won't change at all though. a small gearing change for us isn't bad because the higher gears are well tall. Though it makes 1st a little bit rough...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

I am not sure I understand. According to the argument of that website, the tire size is the origin of the torque loss, rather than the weight of the drivetrain.

I still think if torque increases then horsepower increases. The gearing affects the torque throughout the rpm range, so the with higher torque everywhere, there will also be a correspondingly higher horsepower.

BTW, I'm liking this discussion. I hope more people chime in.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 PM
SuperBike

ok actually that was a bad example. here:
chassis dynos measure the acceleration of a known weight over time.. that's the definition of horsepower. chassis dynos don't measure torque. if you entered the wrong gear ratio, the whp would be correct, but the wheel torque would be wrong. same thing if the tire diameter is off. the "shape" of the curve would be accurate though. the effective torque though is what's changed by the gearing. is tied directly into the gearing ratio.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Dynamometers only measure torque and rpm. Torque is the rate of change of acceleration. So you could say that torque is the integral of acceleration, and acceleration is the integral of speed. Horsepower is calculated from the following equation:

HP = (Torque x rpm) / 5252

Changing gearing will NOT change either hp or torque. It will change how the power feels to you while riding the bike.

This probably doesn't clear anything up for you, does it? Trust me, gearing will not affect a dyno at all, just how long it takes to make the run. If you think about it, changing sprocket gearing is the same as changing the gears in the transmission. Most dyno operators choose 3rd or 4th for several reasons. First, it makes the curve smoother by allowing more data aquisition points. Second, the gear is high enough to prevent tire slippage. Third, the gear is low enough so that the dyno run is quick. And fourth, it's low enough so that the wheel and chain speeds stay safe.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

yup. same thing happens if you dyno in 2nd gear compared to third. gonna have issues.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
SuperSport

I know gearing doesn't affect horsepower and torque of the motor. But if the rate of change of speed of the rear tire is greater due to gearing changes, that means that torque is greater, right? I'm still talking about rwhp and torque here, not at the crankshaft.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nope, no different, and I'm talking the same thing. Okay, say you put a larger sprocket on the rear, let's say we go to a 45t. That's 10% larger. This will give you a 10% change in rpm, agree? 45/41=1.10 Now, put the bike on the dyno and you will do a dyno run 10% quicker from start to finish. This means that in the time it took to reach 5000 rpm on the stock bike, you're now at 5500 rpm with the 45t. Remember, torque is the TIME rate of change of acceleration. See, the two offset each other. The time is quicker but the rpm is higher. Understand now?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, but torque has nothing to do with time. Torque is simply rotational force. T=F x r. When you re-gear the bike, you are effectively increasing the force transmitted from the engine to the rear wheel, as the radius of the rear wheel stays constant. This is why putting a worn tire makes the horsepower read higher: The torque at the rear wheel gear is the same, but the ratio of that gear to the radius of the tire increases, thus showing 'apparent' horsepower increase at the road. Horsepower = T x RPM / 5252.

The force available from the engine, assuming no change except gearing between dyno runs, is constant, thus the torque curve shape will be the same. What will change is the torque/horsepower vs road speed. With horsepower in the vertical, and road speed in the horizontal, the graph will move up and left. The goal in re-gearing is to get the graph to move up more than left, so you run out of 'gear' and 'motor' at approximately the same speed. This is why some stock geared bikes won't pull redline in 6th (Gear ratio too tall), and why a stunt-geared bike will pull redline in 6th, but tops out way slower (gear too short). People often state that when you re-gear, you're trading horsepower for torque. This is incorrect. You're trading speed for both torque and horsepower.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 AM
SuperBike

effective torque increases but wheel torque does not. chassis dynos don't measure torque, they measure horsepower and calculate torque from that. with correct ratios and wheel size the wheel hp and tq will always be the same
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Gearing has nothing to do with it. dyno calculations correct for it. You don't make more power with gearing, it's just a matter of where you make the power.

Example, if max hp is at 7K RPM gearing will only change if you are going 30mph or 120mph at 7K rpm.

Quick Reply: 97 rwhp from my stock hawk