General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

First of all, Happy Holidays to all!

I was very enamored by the Aprilia Tuono V4 when it came out but after reading the reviews and while it still sounds like a great vehicle, the unusually difficult serviceability due to the narrow V4, poor dealer network and even lousier gas mileage than our VTRs has eliminated it from my wish-list.

However, the 2014 KTM Super Duke R sounds like it will undoubtedly become my dream street motorcycle! Whereas I do not need or want 180 HP, having a 106 ft. lbs. of torque (presumably rated at the crank) in a V-Twin weighing a true 417#s wet with a moderate 58"+ wheel base and comfortable ergonomics sounds about ideal.

And with 3 KTM dealers relatively near me (KTM Here we are), I may have to try and tap into my kids upcoming signing bonus (for what other reason does one have children?) and order the new Katoom SD for spring!

I'll always keep my VTR, as I very much regret selling my H2, VF500, NT650, GpZ550D1, Matchless G80Cs Cafe, 72 Triumph Tiger, etc...

Last edited by skokievtr; 12-24-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:21 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I wholeheartedly agree with your view on the SD-R. However, upon posting just such a thread on the Speedzilla site, a few members piped in with with some less than positive comments about their ownership experience of other LC8-powered vehicles. Seems reliability is a problem with these bikes. I would LOVE to own but givne said comments, would definitely wait a year or two to be sure they got the bugs worked out. I would hope they have, as it is a very impressive machine!!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM
SuperBike

I had not researched much about the RC8 before I posted about the 1290 SD-R (its only iteration for now). Given the RC8 has been out 3 years (2 here I believe in the USA), I'd have thought KTM would have addressed any weakness when redesigning the engine for the SD-R. However, given they've pushed the architecture to the max for the 1290 SD-R, I agree waiting a year may be wise.

Your thoughts on the Tuono V4?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

RC8 came out in 2008 (slightly less displacement version), but the basic LC8 engine has been around for longer than that, which make the on-going problem all the more depressing.....
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM
SuperBike

Smile

Well I guess it depends on the individual vehicle but other than difficulty finding neutral (not unusual for many bikes), a stalling issue that an e prom re-flash (warranty offering) and/or new map does wonders for (again on many other maker's engines), and water pump seal leakage (sound familiar to SH owners), many owners have had no problems.

See 2011-2012 RC8 Issues - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

In which "The Wolf" had this to say...

"handfuls" is an overstatement. all of the top bikes have their issues, it comes with the high performance territory. the 2012 bmw had so many issues that i heard the local dealer in long beach were told to stop selling them until further notice. the panigales had several recalls and some even caught fire! the zx-10 had 4 recalls, that i know of. if something goes wrong on an aprilia and you need parts, your bike could grow a beard before the parts even get shipped. motorcycles will always have some "issues". i think you read into my issues too much. i was more trying to convey the worth of purchasing an extended warranty, as opposed to the RC8 being problematic(because its not). now if the warranty is out of your budget or youre not willing to have your bike covered by the factory, i suppose another gixxer is in your future.

Also the true 2011 and especially the 2012 RC8R had many significant updates, and I'd think by now KTM had a good handle on what needed to be done for the 2014 SD-R.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
MotoGP

Would be great if so because, like you, I think this thing is a monster! Be sure to keep us posted if you decide to take the plunge.... (knowing that many of us will be very, very envious)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I was heavily involved in the off road enduro scene for many years and after having witnessed the issues friends had with KTM 4 stroke product I would not be shelling out my hard earned $$ for any of their products.

One friend in particular had nothing but trouble and nick named his bike the ATM because he was always spending money on it.

Some may see Honda as less exotic, at least they are reliable and lend themselves well to personalisation for intended usage without breaking the bank!

I wish Honda would bring out an updated version of the VTR with decent brakes, suspension and fuel injection with a capacity around 1200cc.

Kinda like a blade but it must have a V-Twin, and be comfortable with adjustability of bars, pegs, and seat to enable folks of varying sizes fit the bike.

They served it up to the Europeans before, why can't they do it again?

If they did that I would be first in line to place an order.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I have to say it looks and sounds like a monster,but after struggling with a SuperDuke R for 2 years ,I think I can wait for a Honda!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM
SuperBike

Could u plz elaborate, what sdr?

BTW, do u have posted in this forum pics of your vtr? How many miles on it? Rubber?

Originally Posted by Hopey
I have to say it looks and sounds like a monster,but after struggling with a SuperDuke R for 2 years ,I think I can wait for a Honda!

Last edited by skokievtr; 12-26-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
2008 SDR . it was a piece of ****!Allways had something wrong with it ,I spent a lot of time at dealers trying to get it figured out and finally sold it fo half of what i paid.By no means would I consider it reliable transportation.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

A real shame.... I hope they get their stuff sorted out as they have some remarkable bikes. I spent 2 weeks test riding a 2008 RC8 (1148cc engine) and absolutely loved it. However, a bike that spends more time in the shop than on the road is useless to say the least.....
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've owned and ridden my '08 SuperDuke(not a R model) for the last five years. Replaced the regulator/rectifier with an upgraded mosfet unit and that's been the only problem- just like my SuperHawk. I think the performance- suspension, brakes, and chassis are all excellent.The 1290, while a huge leap forward, is more than I can use. Heck, my '08 ZX-10R is more than I can exploit.