SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   1998 SH VS 2002 FZ1 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/1998-sh-vs-2002-fz1-21438/)

mikstr 02-02-2010 09:15 AM

The time was listed in an issue in which they ran the VTR against the 916, Daytona 955i and TL-S. I have it at home.... somewhere!

captainchaos 02-02-2010 10:08 AM

Cool, if you find the date let me know I'll try to find it. I have a bunch of old mags with superhawk tests in them I keep for fun.

mikstr 02-02-2010 10:46 AM

The problem will lie not so much in finding the magazine as finding the time to find the magazine (my 18 month-old daughter broke her collarbone on the weekend and the mum-in-law just got admitted to hospital by ambulance.....)

captainchaos 02-02-2010 10:50 AM

Oooohh well no rush, hope everyone's ok. Whats up with the accidents this weekend? I was helping my girl at her house with some yardwork and she decided to go off with the hedgetrimmer and somehow get her finger in it...7 stitches. Glad she didn't chop it off.

mikstr 02-02-2010 11:02 AM

Yeah, my daughter is a real mover and shaker so it was just a matter of time before she broke something. The good news is they heal quite quickly at that age. Not sure what`s up with the in-law though....

anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....

t-dogg 02-02-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 252525)
with all due respect, I believe you're dreamin. The FZ1 weight is similar to SH weight, only with 130 HP. Hell i had an 1988 1000cc hurricane with 130 HP that weighed 80 lbs more than the FZ1 or the SH, and it ran the quarter in the mid 10's.

Modern 600's weigh less with equal or greater HP than our SHs. They appear to be anemic if ridden like a bike with lots of torque, as with the SH; however, keep the rpms up there in the balcony and it's a completely different ballgame.

No im not dreamin. My buddy's actually a terrible rider. The key is if your on the street and decide to have a little battle, when you see him comin up on ya, you back off real quick and let him zoom by ya. Then you just say "I wasn't even racing" :p

NCDave 02-02-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by t-dogg (Post 252514)
I can smoke my buddy's 07 R6. Keep the front end down and I think you could take the FZ1.

Suck on the exhaust while you light up the front tire, or what? :eek:

;););)

RK1 02-02-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 252596)
Cool, if you find the date let me know I'll try to find it. I have a bunch of old mags with superhawk tests in them I keep for fun.

Mick and Capt.

I don't have a copy, but it's the April '97 issue

http://backissues.com/issue/Cycle-World-April-1997

mikstr 02-02-2010 03:21 PM

Bingo!!!! Get that man a prize :)

captainchaos 02-02-2010 03:31 PM

Sweet, thanks RK. By the way anyone race it? ;)

RK1 02-02-2010 03:48 PM

Ha! I love prizes! I'd settle for a post with the VTR performance data from that article if anybody finds it.

mikstr 02-02-2010 03:57 PM

I'll post it when I get a few minutes of uninterrupted time (very scarce these days).

cheers

uchi 02-03-2010 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 252567)
If you scroll down you notice the FZ1 is running NOS (the trap speed seemed way too high for a stock FZ1....). On a much more minor level, the SH was running 92 octane, a factor which robs about 2 hp....

so whats it supposed to run? evryone says that fuel doesnt matter as long as compression and timing isnt bumped. i personally try to always feed mine 94

uchi 02-03-2010 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 252347)
I have a hard time believing any modern 600cc bike will beat a VTR down a drag strip. Every single one I've ridden is so anemic down low it makes it frustrating to ride.

its funny. im seeing mixed mphs depending on where i go. and from my drag racing background it would just make sense that a bike trapping 10 mph more would pull away from the sh. but that doesnt always seem to be the case. ive got a buddy with an 02ish i think cbr600 and hes lighter than me. a bike which pulls a higher trap speed out of its ass. and yet i out run him. ive also got a friend with a 2010 triumph daytona 675. again a bike that should pull me, and stock for stock id put a few lengths on him every time we'd do a pull from any speed. mind you now he tossed on an exhaust and tuned it and pulls on me, but that should change this year as my mod list went from power robbing bafflectomy to whats listed below. but still bikes that are pulling higher mphs are going down to the sh. kind of weird the way it works, and all of these guys have been riding longer than me. but youre right, ive been on a few new 600's and they feel weak in the power department. i took my buddys brand new gixxer 600 for a test ride and wasnt really impressed with it. maybe its just the butt dyno and their lack of torque vs the sh's instant power at any rpm that makes it feel like it isnt pulling as hard.

mikstr 02-03-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 252708)
so whats it supposed to run? evryone says that fuel doesnt matter as long as compression and timing isnt bumped. i personally try to always feed mine 94

I run 87 octane in mine (this despite decked heads and Stage 1 cams, and living right at sea level, where air density is the highest). Running octane rating above what is required to prevent pre-ignitiona dn detonation only results in a slower burn and reduced power. I recall a chap doing a test on a Ski-Doo MXZ700 snowmobile (granted, a two-stroke but an irelevant factor in this case) which was delivered to run on 87 octane. When dynoed with 91, he lost 2 hp. This engine produce very similar power to a VTR so I would expect the power loss from running premium to be similar.

Erik S. 02-03-2010 08:36 AM

Before this turns into another Regular vs. Premium...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ghlight=octane

mikstr 02-03-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 252721)
Before this turns into another Regular vs. Premium...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ghlight=octane

Good point. How could we forget the other two essential topics:
- what oil to use?
- which is the fastest colour?

:)

Erik S. 02-03-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 252723)
Good point. How could we forget the other two essential topics:
- what oil to use?
- which is the fastest colour?

:)

Very true, can't forget those. They will definitely play a factor in the outcome of this bench racing.

As far as I can tell, his SH is at a disadvantage due to it not being YELLOW, the fastest color.

I hope he's running the most expensive super slippery synthetic oil he can get his hands on. :evillaugh:

uchi 02-03-2010 10:39 AM

I don't think that a few octane points will make that big of a difference. Mine felt like it ran worse on 89 and I'm about 200 feet aboce sea level. :)

Anyways I'm curious to see the outcome. Ill agree yellow is the fastest color especially if you scream vvvvvtttteeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccccc at 7k it'll add 15 more hp

mikstr 02-03-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 252728)
I hope he's running the most expensive super slippery synthetic oil he can get his hands on. :evillaugh:

Not too slippery though, or it`ll make his clutch slip (unless, of course, you are referring to the chap with the FZ1, in which you should recommend he use "energy conserving oil" for the documented benefits of the moly :)).... I am surprised no one has mentioned the documented benefits of the famous flux capacitor, add one of those babies and you`re a shoe-in for the top step on the podium....

mikstr 02-03-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 252729)
I don't think that a few octane points will make that big of a difference. Mine felt like it ran worse on 89 and I'm about 200 feet aboce sea level. :)

Well, the dyno detected 2 hp on a sled engine..... noticeable while riding? likely not, but 2 hp here, and 2 hp there, and it soon does become noticeable..... I ran mine on 87, 89 and 91 and saw no difference in running quality so I now run 87, keeps my wallet in better shape...

8541Hawk 02-03-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 252733)
Well, the dyno detected 2 hp on a sled engine..... noticeable while riding? likely not, but 2 hp here, and 2 hp there, and it soon does become noticeable..... I ran mine on 87, 89 and 91 and saw no difference in running quality so I now run 87, keeps my wallet in better shape...

I'm right there with you. I know mine idles better on 87 and unless you up the compression ratio there is no need for any higher octane rating. Like you my info comes from dyno runs and trying all of them in the 12 1\2 years I've had my SH but I am just a guy on the internet so as always YMMV.

Oh and I still haven't made it over to Dans shop been dealing with swingarm issues but should going within a week so I'll get back to you with any info I can squeeze out of the grumpy ol' Brit.

nath981 02-03-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 252709)
its funny. im seeing mixed mphs depending on where i go. and from my drag racing background it would just make sense that a bike trapping 10 mph more would pull away from the sh. but that doesnt always seem to be the case. ive got a buddy with an 02ish i think cbr600 and hes lighter than me. a bike which pulls a higher trap speed out of its ass. and yet i out run him. ive also got a friend with a 2010 triumph daytona 675. again a bike that should pull me, and stock for stock id put a few lengths on him every time we'd do a pull from any speed. mind you now he tossed on an exhaust and tuned it and pulls on me, but that should change this year as my mod list went from power robbing bafflectomy to whats listed below. but still bikes that are pulling higher mphs are going down to the sh. kind of weird the way it works, and all of these guys have been riding longer than me. but youre right, ive been on a few new 600's and they feel weak in the power department. i took my buddys brand new gixxer 600 for a test ride and wasnt really impressed with it. maybe its just the butt dyno and their lack of torque vs the sh's instant power at any rpm that makes it feel like it isnt pulling as hard.

if you switch bikes with your buddies on the 600 and 675 for a drag race, you need to get pissed, I mean mad as hell, like you want to blow their motors to hell. Then scream them babies till you are appraoching 16 on the tach before you full throttle shift and then you'll see your yellow SH in the mirror. Now don't tell them to do this bike. hahahahaha:D

996serrano 02-05-2010 05:09 PM

So anyway we haven't raced yet. I need a new rear tire and my CCT's scare the crap out of me. However today we left work together and we were at a light and I told him hey let me roll out in front a little so he said cool. I rolled out about 30 feet after light turned green and twisted hard on throttle did a twelve oclock for a second and at the next light he was grinning. I told him sick huh and he said yeah im scared to do that. He is my good friend and I just wanted to give him a taste of what's to come. Oh by the way my orig post I went from cruiser to sport but I have had about ten sportbikes before that. I guess I forgot to mention that and I have been drag racing about a few hundred times. LOL. Rider is going to take this race. HAHAHAHA I can't wait. Tires and CCT's holding me back. I love my Hawk.

phail 02-12-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 252347)
I have a hard time believing any modern 600cc bike will beat a VTR down a drag strip. Every single one I've ridden is so anemic down low it makes it frustrating to ride.

I smoke my buddies VTR every single time we race when Im riding my old 1999 gsxr600. That 600 keeps up with the new crop down the straight away at our race track though, its geared short and runs great.

Just gotta know how to ride them, I launch that thing at 11000rpm :cool: Ive ragged that bike for 40,000km before selling it and it still hasnt had any issues.