General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

1200mi, 3 days on a superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Squid

smonska
1200mi, 3 days on a superhawk

I got back monday from a ride from my home in western massachusetts to visit some family in western Virgina and back, all 2 lane roads. 32 hours of riding, 1200 miles on a superhawk. It always gets to me when people say "you ride a crotch rocket, those are so uncomfortable". I rode 14 hours one day and didn't really feel much worse for wear than when I started, the only ergo mod I have is handlebar risers, and two full backpacks stacked behind me I could use as a seatback. While I have relatively long arms, I could sit back against the bags, hold my right hand on the throttle and just cruise, while listening to my MP3 player (as much as I could hear over the Jardines ;-).

I went a really stellar route, I went from the southeast corner (the berkshires) of MA through the catskill Mts in NY accross the delaware river through the poconos, then down old RT 6 in northern PA (really scenic!) to the alleghenies. I then rode south through the alleghenys, difficult as all roads there go E-W not N-S due to the mountain's orientation, so alot of Zig-Zag travel was involved. From Gettyburg PA (nice place to visit if your a gun/militaria/history buff as I am) I took route 15 south through Frederick Maryland and into Loudon County VA, also a very nice area. My route home was more eastern going through central maryland on routes 27/97 into amish country PA and then through the Blue mountain area, to the area south of the catskills in NY (columbia/dutchess county). Total trip cost since I had family to stay with in VA, about $200. Can't beat that fun/price ratio!

A Note about the the blue mountain area in PA, there are two mountains each about 100mi long which run parallael to each other, with rt 895 going between them for about a hundred miles. This is an awesome road to ride. Though while I was going east through there, a wicked storm was chasing me through the very rural valley! If I went 40MPH, it started raining, but if I could keep my speed up to 55-60 it stopped raining. I could see lightening and such in my mirrors as I was running from it to find the ONLY gas station in the region! This reminded me of a scene from the movie twister where the guy is driving away from a tornado right behind him.

Being used to gas station/store owners in the more urban northeast telling me not to loiter or looking at me funny while I hide out from the rain, I was surprised to be welcomed by the owners of a country store/ gas station who literally invited me inside while I was standing next to the pumps waiting for the storm to pass by. A similar effect was evident in other rural places when I stopped for food people would see my MA plates and ask me about the long ride and my trip and such all the time, while in the more urban areas no one ever talked to me or each other.

Taking two lane roads for a ride through all these areas I usually blow through on an interstate in 7-8 hours showed me a ton of neat stuff and beutiful places and nice people I would otherwise never meet. Being a country boy myself the one thing this trip really affirmed to me was that the more rural you go, the nicer people get. I guess they just have less to be defensive about. :-) I was also happy when a couple of times I stopped on the side of the road to check my map other motorcyclists stopped to ask if I was all right, one on a Honda VTX and one on a V-Star. I don't think there was any more fun and experience I could get from $200 than last weekend.

If there is anyone else in the hampshire/berkshire county area who like to meet up some time for a superhawk ride around new england/NY send me an email smonska@comcast.net
Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
That sounds like a real nice ride! Its good to know there are still some good people in those small towns...
Old 06-24-2006, 04:53 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Good report, thanks for sharing it.
I have a buddy who is trying to figure out a route up to Maine next month and I'll pass this on so he can check and see if any of your route would meet with his general plan. A couple of those roads sound great.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
cool deal... I am leaving in Aug for a las vegas trip. There are 10 of us riding through 13 states on our way to and from vegas with stops at the grand canyon, hoover dam, roswell, and a few other places. Over the 9 days we are going 3400 miles. Can't wait!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Great report whoever you are! Your notice of behaviors/attitudes is not uncommon. Yet another reason why I won't live in major urban centers. It's those kind of experiences that makes a road trip so memorable.

While tearing up the Ozarks are couple of years ago, we stopped at some spot-in-the-road for lunch. While waiting for my food, I overheard a "business discussion" at the shop register between locals. They were getting down to the finer points of financing a $20 wedding ring! I kid you not. cue banjo music. :-)
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cb21983
cool deal... I am leaving in Aug for a las vegas trip. There are 10 of us riding through 13 states on our way to and from vegas with stops at the grand canyon, hoover dam, roswell, and a few other places. Over the 9 days we are going 3400 miles. Can't wait!!!
DUDE! Except for the high altitude legs through NM and CO, the rest of this ride I would only describe as BRUTAL on a motorcycle. I've been out there a couple of times during the summer as rates are cheap (no doubt why) and there's no way to describe it but as "oh-my-gawd hot"!

Tips: Mesh, camel-back, and avoid riding during peak heat.

If invited, I wouldn't go. As a matter of fact, I turned down a "free" trip to the USGP as it would have meant riding through this region not once but twice. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
Heat isn't really an issue. We will more than likeley be riding late afternoon into the evening cause we don't like to get up any earlier than we have to. Already one step ahead of you on the camelback and mesh jacket.