General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

07 suzuki gsxr 600 test ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
I love it! $1100 bike smokin brand new Duc's and Gixxer whatevers on the track. That is FUN! Then those f'ers get you back in the straight and you have to pass them again in the turns. And I know they can here that twin trying to gobble them up too.

The one thing I envy about GSXR's is how they always seem to outbrake me at the track, slipping into the first turn like a hot knife through butter, while I'm about to drag my feet to slow the beast down and get it banked in. Power wise, I would rather ride my lawnmower than a 600 on the street. Absolutely no usable power unless you're speeding. Now an SV650 is a different story.

BWAAAHHHH!!!
And that would be my motivation for the front end rebuild...
With the stock brakes I was getting ready to throw the boat anchor out at the end of the long straights... Now I just dab the brakes and keep the inside line...

Altough my next move is to replace the 2x4 honda used for a rear shock... The GSX-R boys gets nervous when my rear tire breaks loose...

Oh, he!! yeah, they can hear you... I had one guy on a rather kit-ed out GSX-R saying he knew exactly when I was coming up from behind, not looking at the mirrors, he just waited for his eardrums to meet in the middle of the head... Altough I tried telling him that that only happened after my pass, staring down my tailpipe...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Altough I found one particular bike rather "un-fun" to try to best... An annoyingly fast Aprilia RSV-R that kept outbraking me, and had more power out of corners than me... Altough his comment made my ego all better again... "G-d boy, stop that jack in the box crap...!"

Apparently the roar of the ape engine drowned me out when I was behind him, and he was used to hearing the scream of the I4's before a pass... So he got jumpy when I appeared un-announced...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I was even struggling to get the RC51 slowed down though. Partly I guess cause I feel at home on the Superhawk, but I wasn't used to that extra speed and power on the straights so trying to find a good braking point for the blind off camber corner was difficult, thus allowing good riders on GSXR's to swoop in. Maybe a GSXR750 will be my next bike? But financially the SV650 is much more enticing.

Suzuki does seem to slack in the finish department compared to Honda. All Honda's have a similar feel too. My TL1000R was an ugly machine and felt like a pig. The older GSXR's have the same appearance, big and bulbous. Honda's are sleek and every model is sexy. I recently rode a CBR600RR '06 and while it was fun and pretty comfy, nothing compares to the feel of the Superhawk and its V-twin pull.

Maybe we should all write letters to Honda and ask them to make another iconic sport twin to compete with the Duc's, SV's, Aprillia's, KTM's, and even BMW's. Perhaps they have something on the design table waiting for the economy to boost and that is the reason for their lack of sport models other than the formiddable but dated VFR. An '02 design? C'mon, it's an excellent bike but everyday street riders need a little more. Wait...were talking about riding a Gixxer or something? Sorry...Every motorcycle is great, I love them all! But the Superhawk more.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i'll tell you where suzuki outshines honda: ease of maintenance.

oil change on 05 gixxer1000 is 15 min. don't even have to remove the fairing to remove filter. vtr? 30 min and the chin fairing has to come off! twisted!

hondas have more fasteners, ties, pieces, etc...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I rode a friends CBR954 this summer and yes, the thing absolutely screams. It's nimble as he!! feeling like a 600 between the knees. Definitely wouldn't have one as an only bike though. Will you be able to wring it's neck or do you have to stay conservative?
How'd you like that 954 wolvy? I'm going through a phase that involves plans to sell the hawk and get one (even though i've had it only a month).

Pretty fun bike??
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Will you be able to wring it's neck or do you have to stay conservative?
he'll probably let me do whatever i want. i have a lot more experience on bikes than he does, so he knows i can ride.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Death Cattle
he'll probably let me do whatever i want. i have a lot more experience on bikes than he does, so he knows i can ride.
Just remember to really know what it can do keep the revs up. The "music" is up near redline.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
oh ill definitely remember that
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
Haven't been on and I4 since 1990. Love the twin in my Hawk and SV!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
Love the twin in my Hawk and SV!!!
I agree 100% Scoutpilot. Both are great bikes. Things just happen a little slower on the SV. We just put a Jardine system on it and wow it's louder than my SH!

The one thing that stood out most about the 954 was it's smooth injection. It has a micron slip-on but no power commander. Handles like a dream. If the riding position were a bit more upright and it had a twin, oh wait I have one of those! It was fun in a sort of paranoid way (I've got 5 points on my license, 1 more and it's gone!). The bikes limits are soooo far above street riding. If your pushing like that on the street.. you shouldn't be riding like that on public roads! The thing just begs to be ridden hard though. I'd have to live closer to a track so I could do track days.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Death Cattle
as far as I-4's go, i would love to test out a zx-10 myself. 103 mph in first gear from what i hear. i dont know how true that is, but thats pretty ******* crazy.
I have a '05 ZX-10. Mine does an indicated 104 in first. In fact, I've been meaning to make a thread about it compared to the SuperChicken. I won't go O/T in this thread, so check out my new one.