General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

$50 US bounty for 6.3mm x 1.0tp bolts. Euro members?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
$50 US bounty for 6.3mm x 1.0tp bolts. Euro members?

This is bordering on obsurd!

Past 2.5 weeks have been spent trying to find bolts for the front rotors on these OZ wheels. They're tapped for 6.3mm x 1.00 tp instead of the stock 6mm x 1.00 tp

Nobody in the US has them, and I have been all over the internet. Appears to be a European thing?

Will pay $50 US, plus cost of bolts, plus cost of shipping for:

12 6.3mm x 1.00 tp grade 5 or better, preferably button head (stock rotor bolt appearance) bolts. Need to be around stock length of 17mm or so.

Anybody?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow! I can't beleive your having such a hard time with those bolts!! Have you tried a nut and bolt specialty shop? Damn that sucks, how about going to OZ directly for help?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
I can't believe it either!

Talked with the consultant from OZ and he is talking with them hopefully this week. He found a set of titanium bolts with OZ's logo he said he'd send over, but they are 7mm and I don't want to risk retapping these wheels.

I have a 6.3mm tap in my hands right now, so somebody has to make a bolt for that hole!

Getting cranky since I can't ride when the weather is good. Might go buy a 929 front wheel from a breaker yard to get me rolling until this is resolved.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: $50 US bounty for 6.3mm x 1.0tp bolts. Euro members?

Is it possible that this is a 1/4 x24 SAE bolt hole ?
If not where did you get a 6.3mm tap.
I've been around the motorcycle industry for about 35 years and have never heard of that particular thread size/dimension.
I also contacted several hardware supply houses after reading your post and was advised it does not exist.
Considering the fact that the OZ rep couldn't help you it seems that the previous owner of the wheels may have retapped the hole to 1/4 x24 or it is simply a worn 6x1mm bolt hole.
If this were April 1st I'd givve you credit for a really good one.

Kai Ju

BTW does the above info qualify for the $50 bounty ?
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Here I go with my fancy engineering numbers again:

6.3mm / 25.4 mm per inch = 0.248 <-- Pretty close to 1/4" bolt, especially if it's a loose 6.3mm

Why would manufacturers make a bolt with no matching socket? Thinking about it, I have a pretty complete socket set, and only a 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm socket. I bet you are right Kai Ju.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler

Behold:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

The one I have came from a friends craftsman tool set. Has a matching die as well.

The wheels are brand new from OZ, I'm still waiting to here the final word from them. That tap is definately what fits the hole though.

6.3mm is 1/4", but the thread pitch is definately 1.00 metric. The local hardware store had even heard of them, just hadn't seen them in a loooooooong time
Old 01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Sounds like a screw up, to me.

I think they were drinking on the job at the OZ factory.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Seeing as you have a tap & die set that covers this thread, why don't you makes some? Assuming OZ can't help you of course.

This way is you will have a custom bolt set that no-one else will have! Could look very trick if you used the right material.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this comment?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this comment?
I hope not. I seldom lob a softball that slow...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler

LOL

Was going to try and get some 7's and convert them into 6.3's, but not sure if that'll work? Thought there was something special about the surface on the bolts I'd be removing if I did that?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Squid

VTR69

Try mcmastercarr.com might be something there
for you. Hope I got that url right, it's something like that. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I think I have good news. 6.3 is apparently the metric designation for a 1/4-20 thread.

You should check out this information and see if you come to the same inference as me:

http://www.ex.ac.uk/~sritchie/hydro/...ts/D780Ref.pdf
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Are the threads for a 6.3mm bolt or is it one of those bolts with the thickened neck like some of the fairing bolts?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:44 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by bronco78";p=&quot
6.3 x 1.0 was used by GM as a body fastener.. but is long since obsolete. Not sure if they used this type of fastener on any other parts.
This is the exact bolt that got me started on my research.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Yep.. and if you were close to ME, I'd offer to do the work for you, plus I'd pay you $5 a bolt just for the fun.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:03 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Are the threads for a 6.3mm bolt or is it one of those bolts with the thickened neck like some of the fairing bolts?
There is a fastener with major diameter of 6.3mm and 1.0mm pitch thread.

GM used it in the US for body fasteners,, and apparently, OZ used it for their wheel sets.

Personally.. I'd be looking at enlarging the hole to a standard fastener size,, OR installing a 6mm stainless thread insert. Again for use of a standard fastener.
The only use of this fastener was for thread cutting applications, like body bolts. I think they were pretending to be metric. I can't find any evidence of an originally metric machine screw in this size.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
LOL! Thanks for all the help!

OZ wrote back, and they don't seem to have any either?! They don't do the bike wheels any more, just cars. I'm dying to know why they went with such an oddball size.

The guy I got the wheels from is having them send a dozen 7mm x 1.00 TP, 10 point, titanium bolts (didn't know they made bolts out of that!) over, then we'll get the wheel rethreaded to take that size. More complicated then I'd like, but its not costing anything so...

They're sending over the tool to install them as well, since 10 point is kinda rare over here? Trading one odd-ball fastener for another it seems (but these even have the OZ logo on each one ).
Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Hate ta say this.. but your plan will not work.... a 7mm x 1.0 tap uses a 6mm drill size... your hole is already bigger than that,,,, at 6.3mm

The end result is,, when you run that 7mm x 1.0 tap though the hole,, your new threads will not be full depth. Not the best situation for a brake rotor fastener.
Actually the largest diameter of the existing hole is something a little larger than 6.3mm, but the rest of the hole is somewhere between 5.3mm and that. So if you drill it out to 6mm, and get the M7X1 tap started the same as the old thread, which it should want to do, you should be alright.
Note: I am an engineer, but I'm usually proven wrong by people who actually do the work
Old 02-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler

Going to ring up a machine shop tomorrow and see what they say. Will post updates as I get 'em!

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Squid

mhutch

Originally Posted by mdbuehler";p=&quot
This is bordering on obsurd!

Past 2.5 weeks have been spent trying to find bolts for the front rotors on these OZ wheels. They're tapped for 6.3mm x 1.00 tp instead of the stock 6mm x 1.00 tp

Nobody in the US has them, and I have been all over the internet. Appears to be a European thing?

Will pay $50 US, plus cost of bolts, plus cost of shipping for:

12 6.3mm x 1.00 tp grade 5 or better, preferably button head (stock rotor bolt appearance) bolts. Need to be around stock length of 17mm or so.

Anybody?

This place has a number of 6.3 x 1.0 bolts.

http://www.tifco.com/pdf/auto1.pdf

They are just down the road from my house. If you find what you need let me know and I can get them for you. Might be a box of them though....
Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler

With pictures even!! Just called the number and it seems they're closed, I'll be trying them again tomorrow!

We may have a winner!! Was calling around to machine shops just a few minutes ago too!

Thanks!! You might be getting a paypal soon...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Squid

mhutch
Originally Posted by mdbuehler";p=&quot
With pictures even!! Just called the number and it seems they're closed, I'll be trying them again tomorrow!

We may have a winner!! Was calling around to machine shops just a few minutes ago too!

Thanks!! You might be getting a paypal soon...
Bronco78 is probably correct. Make sure that you are getting the correct bolt for the application. I did not look too closely at the selection that they offer.

Also, they are a wholesaler so they are only open mon-fri 8-5 pm. That is the reason that you may end up with a box of 50 and they do not come cheap.

Quick Reply: $50 US bounty for 6.3mm x 1.0tp bolts. Euro members?