Forum Feedback Post tips, comments, problems, requests pertaining to the Forums.

Yes or No question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Squid

kjohnson is on a distinguished road
Yes or No question

I ask one in the tech section,and what turns up?

I did a search and found many others doing the exact same thing on this forum.Rather rude.

Advice:

If you don't know the answer,keep it quiet,let those that do know help those that don't.Being a "warrior" doesn't do anything positive.

Mini-rant over.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I am not saying I agree, but I kind of go with the if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing. Rather than what I consider being rude and say do a search, I just ignore the question. If someone wants to chime in with some positive advice or information, hey go for it. If you think they are being a squid or a moron for asking a question, ignore the post and move on to the next one. Eventually they will have to find the information themselves if no one steps up. There have been plenty of posts where I have thought "what a moron" but I didn't post that and the rest of the thoughts that went along with it. Sometimes some of these guys post some pretty stupid stuff. I think you should say it out loud first before you post something. Sometimes hearing it out loud lets you know just how stupid it really sounds.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
I agree, "do a search" may not be intended to be rude but sometimes comes across that way. Stick around long enough and you will find there are more SH owners willing to help than not........ Just go to a GSXr forum and check out the wanna be's on there. This forum is much differant and very helpful once you weed out the smart asses and there really are very few of them.......IMO
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seattle_SuperHawk
.........and very helpful once you weed out the smart asses and there really are very few of them.......IMO
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Most wise *** comments are not meant to be rude, they're just tongue in cheek. Some of us like to have fun on here, with no malice intended.

Try asking what kind of oil you should use in your VTR and see what happens...

Also you might get better response if you introduce yourself.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Most wise *** comments are not meant to be rude, they're just tongue in cheek. Some of us like to have fun on here, with no malice intended.
+++++ 1
Old 08-28-2010, 12:34 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Saying, " Welcome and Search CCT failure", for example is not rude. It's actually courteous and helpful.
Now on the other hand, saying, " before you go asking stupid questions you mo mo(Bronx Italian for bone head) you should find and use the search function or get the hell off this forum. Now that's rude.
Personally I sat back and observed for a month or two before posting. Maybe a primer somewhere in the registration re using the search function would prevent the delicate thin skinned types from getting offended.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Squid

kjohnson is on a distinguished road
Very true,all good replies.

I did do a search,and found many people saying "do a search",along with others posting very vague answers with some form of their life story attached.Life is short.In a tech forum,get to the point so I/we/you can fix the bike.Simple is best.

While I am open to teasing and whatnot <be careful with me,I shoot back and it's usually one-shot one-kill...lol>,those that do this should put a playful type smilie in the post,that helps clear the air.When one sees the sign-holding smiley and nothing else,well,it's easy to interpret that behavior as "keyboard badass".Those folks ain't foolin me.

But,my tech question was "yes or no".No gray area on whether an F3 front wheel will fit on a Superhawk.Either it does or it doesn't,or you do know or you don't know.Simple.

Thank you.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread. Personally I think it is a dick response to tell folks to use the search unless you honestly don’t believe that person knows where to find the search function.

If you REALLY wanted to help and didn’t know the answer, you could do a quick search yourself. It would take probably less than four seconds to do this, and some folks – lots of folks, actually – do supply links directly to the topic. You’ve already wasted two seconds typing “Use the search!” maybe more because you had to find the exact smiley to represent your irritation. How much more difficult would it have been to actually provided some help?

If you search “search” you get 500 returns. Cam gets you 154. I think that probably says a lot.

But I’m not knocking the forum. If you go to older lists (the Hawk GT list or the FJ1200 forum) no one bothers to ask technical questions anymore. Those forums / lists are largely about personality now. I think this is sort of how online forums age, particularly forums where the topic is often technical. After a while people just get burned out on answering the same questions.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kjohnson
I ask one in the tech section,and what turns up?

I did a search and found many others doing the exact same thing on this forum.Rather rude.

Advice:

If you don't know the answer,keep it quiet,let those that do know help those that don't.Being a "warrior" doesn't do anything positive.

Mini-rant over.
IN answer to your question;
A new form member that makes no attemt to help them selfs by use of the serach function could be,

A: ignorant on the tool available,, no problem, help them with the search function;Show them the added search terms and tools that can assit in getting relivent hits.

B: Lazy wanting others to do what is a simple information search.. No problem, ignor this person in hopes they will go away, or learn some common sense or williness to help them selfs before asking others to do work for them.
C:.. Oh I'm sure there is a C-Z situation as well, new user searched but did not do so well finding the info wanted, so asked a question... In that case it's just comunication.. "Hey I searched and found some info about wheel swaps... but nothing I found answered the brake disks or spacers needed?" Vice.. "Is the SH front wheel interchangeable with an F3 front wheel? "

To each his own... I enjoy helping those who are willing to help them selfs
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Welcome. if you do a search for "rude", you should get the answers you are looking for.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Welcome. if you do a search for "rude", you should get the answers you are looking for.
74 threads with "rude". Sweet.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:09 AM
Squid

adaf is on a distinguished road
Very true,all good replies.

I did do a search,and found many people saying "do a search",along with others posting very vague answers with some form of their life story attached.Life is short.In a tech forum,get to the point so I/we/you can fix the bike.Simple is best.

While I am open to teasing and whatnot <be careful with me,I shoot back and it's usually one-shot one-kill...lol>,those that do this should put a playful type smilie in the post,that helps clear the air.When one sees the sign-holding smiley and nothing else,well,it's easy to interpret that behavior as "
keyboard badass".Those folks ain't foolin me.

But,my tech question was "yes or no".No gray area on whether an F3 front wheel will fit on a Superhawk.Either it does or it doesn't,or you do know or you don't know.Simple.

Thank you.

Fair enough
Old 04-30-2022, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adaf
Fair enough

Quoting a thread from 2010, think they're still around to get your reply?