Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

You know you're a Harley rider if you can't let your bike simply IDLE at a stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
To each his own..... As for me, I decided long ago that skin grafts and jaw reconstruction were not on my wish list, so I won't ride without a full-face. I'd rather put up with a bit more heat or less "coolness", if it means I don't have to process all my food with a blender, or have kids point at me in the grocery store line-up, but that's just me.... As for people who ride helmet-less, one word: Darwinism......

BTW, not sure which Concours you have, but the 1400 is a very nice ride, probably the nicest, best sport-tourer available IMO.....
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Nope, only an old-guy C10. Some day I'll upgrade it, but only have about 30k miles on this one so far. Still lots of life left in it. My buddy has an FJR and it's a dream to ride. I've not ridden the 14 yet though. The only negative I'm really aware of is the weight and that it eats tires. I know another guy that sport-tours on a ZX-14 as well and absolutely loves it.

...any of them are a better choice than a Harley. (just trying to stick with the thread and not hijack)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
FWIW, I took a riding course a couple of years ago put on by a local BMW/Hardley dealer and one of the instructors admitted to me that the riding skills of most Hog owners is downright scary (this from a guy who makes his living selling them!). This merely confirmed my theory, as did speaking with Star engineers and questioning them on the reason for such a huge rear disc on most of their models, to which they replied that a large percentage of their buyers do not use the front brake, hence teh need to beef up the rear one....

Now suddenly that wideass back tire on cruisers (and some sportbikes) is starting to make sense...

Last edited by klx678; 06-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Hey Mikstr.....I've ridden without a helmet, and happen to be wearing a half helmet on my concours today. i think I'm part squid and part harley. :-D

At least you admit it...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
To each his own..... As for me, I decided long ago that skin grafts and jaw reconstruction were not on my wish list, so I won't ride without a full-face. I'd rather put up with a bit more heat or less "coolness", if it means I don't have to process all my food with a blender, or have kids point at me in the grocery store line-up, but that's just me.... As for people who ride helmet-less, one word: Darwinism......
About 25 years ago I walked into a plastic surgeon/dermatologist's office to get some sun damage looked at. I was carrying my Arai Wes Cooley replica. He said, "I see you ride a motorcycle. I'm glad you wear a full face helmet". He then explained that he'd reconstructed the faces of riders who had worn open face helmets, or no helmet at all, and gone down on the freeway (the CA helmet law is less than 20 years old).
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
UK rider
Squid

lumpyv.uk is on a distinguished road
hi guys . im new on here today from england. our forum is called vtr1000.org and we enjoy taking the p*** out of harley d,s. me and my ducati riding mate call them "hardly ablesons". as i mentioned on the the other forum i would,nt mind a go on a v rod. are they any good? i must say that the 1200 does look really nice.

also what is a "squid" ( apart from the octopus thing?)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lumpyv.uk
also what is a "squid" ( apart from the octopus thing?)
bahahahahahahahhahahaha
ha
haha
hahahaha.
squid.

Squids are people who have never ridden before but insist on buying an R1 for their first bike. They then proceed to ride their motorcycle wearing only flip flops, American Eagle Shorts, a BROuche-bag T-shirt with it's collar turned up (most likely American Eagle, Hollister, or Abercrombie & Fitch) and Aviator knock off sunglasses. Because people who wear gear are not cool enough. Obviously. These people also excel in talking about how badass they are on their bike, as opposed to actually being able to ride it. So they will constantly show off with wheelies and stoppie attempts, until they get painted, and are left with nothing but skin grafts and a torn apart bike, which they will then try to sell on craigslist for $250 under dealer price, even though it's torn to pieces, usually by saying "it's an aftermarket Street fighter".

That's part of what a squid is.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 AM
UK rider
Squid

lumpyv.uk is on a distinguished road
o.i.c that explains that then. we have similar over here. last summer i recall driving my car along the dual carriageway at about 70 with the kids in the back and a guy in jeans t shirt and trainers came past at about 90 on the back wheel!!

spectacular, but also a quick way to get to a and e, court, or the crematorium.