Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Where To Ride Near NAS Lemoore, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Where To Ride Near NAS Lemoore, CA?

I am leaving NW Washington a week from today and trucking the bike down to NAS Lemoore. I have school there for just over a month and looking for some near by rides that I can hit up after class on week days. My plan is to find some of the most technical riding out there. If I dont need new tires when I come home then I did not ride enough. I have been using google earth but on some roads I can't tell whats dirt and whats pavement. Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
My fav road near there.

Take the 41 south to the 5 south. Then take the 58 west to Santa Margarita. Make sure you fill up with gas before you hit the 58. I will bet money that you will love this road. No cops! go as fast or slow as you want, also very little traffic, great views, and it even has a rollcoaster section!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I would skip the 5 unless you like long straight freeways. Take the 41 south to the 46 to Paso Robles If you make it there or to the 58 in Santa Margarita send me a PM, that's 15 minutes from me and ill show you all the roads around here (best.roads in California). Although its about 3 hours south of lemoore, so plan on a full days ride.
Bring up Google maps and follow this route...
Personally, I would ride:
41 south the 46 in Shandon, continue on 46 through to Paso Robles.
Jump on the 101 north for about 15 minutes and exit onto County Road G18 west towards Fort Hunter Ligget (also known as Naci-Ferguson Road, but the map doesn't show that name.)
G18 turns into Mission which turns into Route Tampa around the army base. Do not speed or ride wreckless through here unless you want your **** impounded by military police, and by don't speed I mean not even 5 over until you pass the base, after that they don't care.
From Route Tampa make a left on Del Venturi then stay to the left of the fork. Route Tampa will turn into Naci-Ferguson, this will take you up into national forest land and eventually bring you to high above the ocean, there are camp grounds on that road if you want to make an over night trip out of it.
Naci-Ferguson drops you right onto Highway 1 just north of Gorda, head south from there and enjoy one of the best roads in California.
In Morro Bay you want to take the 41 east into Atascadero, and here you have a few options. You can continue on the 41 back to Lemoore, or you can get on the 101 south for 15 minutes to Santa Margarita/58.
From there you can take 58 east all the way to the 5 and back to Lemoore, OR...
The 58 to 229 to the 41 home.

Then there are the roads local to Paso Robles and you can skip Naci-Ferguson and the 1. I literally can't make up my mind about where to ride most of the time because there are so many awesome roads around here.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Superstock

aja: I think I will have to hit you up one weekend while I am down there. Sounds awesome. I would like to see what these roads are all about.
Speedkelly: Thanks for the relpy. I will give that a shot. Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
aja. You really a lucky where you live. You have some awesome roads there.

OK, we all hate you now!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Squid

climbiton is on a distinguished road
Santa Margarita is my backyard. 58 to a left on Parkhill Rd, turns into Pozo rd, you will pass 58 into Santa Margarita for fuel, then back to 58 to 229 into Creston for fuel for the body, out to Shandon to 41/46 back to Lemoore.

I agree with aja, so many great rides hear in San Luis Obispo County. How to choose.

If you find yourself in need of a room...I manage the Garden Street Inn in SLO, great rates for fellow Motorcyclist.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by climbiton
Santa Margarita is my backyard. 58 to a left on Parkhill Rd, turns into Pozo rd, you will pass 58 into Santa Margarita for fuel, then back to 58 to 229 into Creston for fuel for the body, out to Shandon to 41/46 back to Lemoore.

I agree with aja, so many great rides hear in San Luis Obispo County. How to choose.

If you find yourself in need of a room...I manage the Garden Street Inn in SLO, great rates for fellow Motorcyclist.
Thanks for the tip and the suggestion. It sounds like I will have no problem finding a place to ride out there.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Superstock

Have anyone ridden hwy 198? It looks like it is a good road from google maps, but not too sure on the road conditions or the amount of police up there.