Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

tv purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
tv purchase help

ok i want to purchase an LCD tv, biggest motivating factor is i want to hang it on the wall and free up some floor space in my living room and my old set is at least 200lbs (32" crt sony). i have time warner cable,the room is roughly 15x16. i think that a 37" tv will be appropriate for the room size (i do not want the tv to over power the room or appear to small) i don't play any video games, and to be honest don't watch all that much tv maybe an average of half hour a day and an occasional movie. i'm electronic challenged, and to be honest don't really want to learn ... i'd like to get a decent value as it doesn't make me feel better to spend an extra $XXX to have a huge name brand that has features i'll never use. i'm guessing that i'd like to take advantage of HD once i get the new set but don't have a clue as to what's involved to make that happen...i'd much rather get some opinions here then from the high school d-bag at best buy that thinks he knows what i need. i have no issues buying it from best buy, wal mart or online etc. as long as i get a decent warranty. a buddy has vizios and loves both of them (32" and 37" i think) another relative has an olevia and has had zero problems with it, a co-worker swears by his sony. i don't care to be honest i want a good value, reliability and a decent picture for what i'm going to use it for. Any suggestions or direction anyone can point me in would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
I used to work on the automated line that made those 32 inch Sony TVs
It is over 200 Lbs with all the electronics and outer casing. Closer to 250
The glass on the last generation I worked on was almost an inch thick in the center (that was the thinnest part).

I now have a 32 inch vizio and the picture is great especially for the cost.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Hi Andy,
RE: "the room is roughly 15x16. i think that a 37" tv will be appropriate for the room size (i do not want the tv to over power the room or appear to small)"
I would recommend that you go a bit bigger than you think you need. We have a 47" in our main room (about the same size as yours) and it isn't overpowering... in fact we kinda wish we had gone a bit larger! (granted.. we do use it to play wii and can angle the tv towards the kitchen sometimes.)

You could always grab dimensions from a website (bestbuy, etc.) and cut squares of cardboard to place in the room for estimating. "Overpowering" canbe pretty subjective...

We went with a Samsung and have been very happy with the quality. We also have a few Samsung computer monitors and have been happy with them as well. Had looked at Sony and just couldnt justify the price premium.

For using HD with Time Warner, you should just need to switch to an HD box from them (if your current box doesnt have HD output) and connect it to the box with an HDMI cable.

As for hanging it on the wall... Don't skimp on the wall mount! Find a deal on the TV and then use the savings to get a mount that will definitely keep it on the wall (and give you the flexibility you need if you want to be able to turn/angle the TV)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
37 for that size room is going to look a hair small. we have the same size room roughly and I have a 40 in. It is just the right size for my application.

as for HD, you need an HDMI cable that can be bought on Amazon.com for pennies on the dollar of what Best Buy will charge. ($2 at amazon) and since it is digital you dont need fancy Monster cable

for me personally I enjoy Samsung, I think they get the blackest for the price.... I dont think you can go wrong with a 40 in Samsung. Vizio will also do just fine, Olevia is out of business by about 3 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I went 63" its a bit overpowering but we play alot of movies and games ALOT! lol
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Hey Angry I work at Bestbuy and will agree with the Samsung comments above, I do also agree with the cable choice of searching online. I like my Monster Cables but for the cost it is SO not worth it. I have both Blue Ray and Upconvert DVD players and for the cost, the upconvert works great, Blue Ray is definately a better picture. make sur you use fiber Optic for surround as well. Any questions PM me.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Andy - you should really consider a touch larger especially because you are used to a 32" CRT. The wide screen will not be as tall as your 32 unless you get 40+
You said computer games are not a part of the equation so you might think Plasma. 42" plasma's are very economical now and really provide better contrast and less blurred motion than a LCD. Down side is power consumption, but if it is not on 12+ hours a day that should not be noticeable.
Panasonic makes the best Plasma's - also consider 720P verses 1080P this will save you another $200+. Your cable is converting everything to 720P so the only content you could get for the higher resolution would be a Blueray DVD. IMHO the difference is not worth the extra $$$ espesially in 42 and smaller sets.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Vizio, best value for the $, and one of the highest in customer satisfaction/quality ratings per Consumer Reports.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Rule of thumb of size vs viewing distance... a 37" screen you should sit at 10-12 feet... a 40" you should be at 12-14 feet... I doubt you'll be flat up against the wall, so it might be a tad close for a 40" with a 15/16 feet room... And remember this is for HD 720 lines or better image (Not the TV, the actual signal) Add 2 feet if SD signal...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AdamK
Hey Angry I work at Bestbuy and will agree with the Samsung comments above, I do also agree with the cable choice of searching online. I like my Monster Cables but for the cost it is SO not worth it. I have both Blue Ray and Upconvert DVD players and for the cost, the upconvert works great, Blue Ray is definately a better picture. make sur you use fiber Optic for surround as well. Any questions PM me.
Well, since an HDMI is digital ie signal/no signal anything added to the price of the cable above a decent shielding to make it like living close to mains cabling... Which you, surprise, surprise have around your TV... Is a waste of money... A monster cable does nothing for image or sound quality... Its all down to the quality of the DSP's in both the TV and box in both ends of the cable...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Per Mae West: "Too much is never enough".

After 500cc, then a 650cc, then a 750cc, then a 900cc, the motorcyclist realizes he should have bought a 1,000 much earlier in the game.

Consumer Reports magazine and Costco big box are your best friends. No advertisers in Consumer Reports to suck up to so the truth is in there and Costco takes it back if you just say there's a problem (unlike Sam's or Best Buy!).

Now, after it's bolted solidly to the studs behind the drywall rent the Isle of Man TT. Regrets will fade quickly.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i just bought a 40" samsung LCD ...

i didn't like the visio for the fast motion artifacts & the samsung has better contrast imo. saving the little extra between the visio & samsung wasn't worth something that you'll keep for years.

i bought mine at costco because they extend the warranty to 2 yrs.

tim
Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of good articles on TV size, resolution and viewing distance.
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter
http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/guide...wing-distance/

The best looking TVs I have seen are the Panasonic Viera plasmas, which are noticeably better than the LCDs they are situated next to in the showroom.

Last edited by killer5280; 02-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
look at Sharp. they are the benchmark for hdtv's in the 20-40 inch range. my wife won a 32" LG tv from a raffle at her work. it crapped out in 4 days. I got the reciept from my wife's work and became a hdtv expert. sharp is the best bang for your buck and they are very reliable.