Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Turned away fron the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Turned away fron the dark side

Talked a friend into buying a one owner 2008 VFR with 75XX miles on it. Factory hard bags, fresh tires, new battery, Pazzo levers, you know, the bike that some one bought new and realized that riding was _____, well, fill in the blank. He has only owned, as an adult, Harleys. I did a couple of rides with him. He was on one of his Harleys, and it was not fun for me. As in he said, I saw your turn signal, but I couldn't slow fast enough down to make the turn off. Lets be clear on this, I am not a fast rider. His first ride the realization that giant cruiser boots (no vest or patches) won't work on something that isn't from the early 20th century hits home. On his first ride on a highway loop that is familiar, the absence of speed sensation becomes obvious. Posted limit, 35mph, speedo, 65mph. Woops, sorry officer, I thought I was doing the limit.
I put a set of Helibars on. Did a rear fender delete. Swaped out the R/R for a mosfet unit. Wired up power and installed a mount for a radar detector.
I gave it a short ride and I now know what all the fuss is about a VFR. While not the latest, greatest. it is still a joy to ride. The fit and finish is excellent. Even simple details like the plastic used on the rear fender are done in a way that shows the intent of Honda wanting this to be something special. Although it has the same not so good seat as the SH. Linked brakes? Not sure why Honda did this, but I would rather not have them. Forks? I guess what was used was good enough. Higher spec would have been more in keeping with the halo nature of the model.
While heavier than the SH and a little slower steering, it hides it's weight well. It feels planted, smooth over rough pavement and is plenty fast enough. I would like to hear the engine with a good set of pipes. When V-tec engages you know something is going on. I did not ride the bike long enough to find fault with the V-tec system. Maybe that would change with more time in the saddle. The V4 is a peach. I understand that a good tune with a power commander helps smooth engagement and power delivery.
I am currently fantasizing about finding a low mileage example 6th gen. Maybe a 5th gen with the gear driven cams. Maybe an 8th gen with the pseudo Italian body work (said to be not as good as the 6th gen bike). Or fly to Europe (is air travel going to be a thing again?) and purchase Tracer 700, take apart and ship it to the US as parts?
I need a dose of reality pills.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:31 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
5th Generation
Old 05-07-2020, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The only issue with the VFR is weight. Great bikes, just a little porky. I swapped with a guy once for a short ride. Motor was butter smooth.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:48 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Shame they never made a VTEC-less 1000cc version.....
Old 05-09-2020, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I just did a fork seal job on an old mid eighties Honda Magna. 750 V4 rated at 79hp. Pretty damn respectable for its day. Honda knows their V4's! The sound of a Viffer on a good pipe is awesome.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:50 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Shame they never made a VTEC-less 1000cc version.....
Yes sir.

Originally Posted by Wolverine
I just did a fork seal job on an old mid eighties Honda Magna. 750 V4 rated at 79hp. Pretty damn respectable for its day. Honda knows their V4's! The sound of a Viffer on a good pipe is awesome.
As quiet as the stock pipes are, you can hear the awesome sound hiding inside.