Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Toolboxes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Toolboxes!

I know a lot of you have been around a wrench for a long time. Some of you are just starting out but I have a question - an open forum for comments regarding toolboxes.

I see the stuff on CL and it's "half price" for $8000. Are you kidding? Does it come with a Corvette or am I missing the point. Jesse James Matco - $4500 ?really? What if Sandra calls him a *** and dumps him - what's your toolbox worth now?

I have an apprentice box from Kennedy that I inherited from my Dad. It's older than I am. Drawers are all good sliders, felt is good, box has followed me cross-country and is still used everyday. A good set of Kennedy's is almost $1500 now.

I bought a Waterloo box for the irrigation team a few months back and was impressed with it. They make bigger boxes/sets too.

Bottom line is this - are the high end boxes really worth it or are others in the quality game too but not playing the name game?

Is a $1500 Kennedy set, Craftsman Professional, S-K Tool, Waterloo just as good as the Harley-Davidson black set from SnapOn?

Last edited by nuhawk; 11-27-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
While I'm no expert on the subject unless you **** $100 bills do you really need a "limited edition signature" toolbox? I'm going to say you're doing just fine and probably better than many with what you have. You may see a dip in quality for some Chinese POS from Harbor Freight but I'm sure even those are perfectly functional. I have a cheap craftman set and prefer to fill it with decent quality tools. I guess a nice score is to find a nice high end set used for a price. Damn now you've got me searching craigslist again...
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I've had Lowes & Craftsman boxes, and recently stepped up to a small Snap-on, and there IS a difference. The cheaper ones hold tools the same, and for most people, myself included, that's all they need. But as for build quality and strength, they don't even come close to a Snap-on/Mac/Matco/Cornwell. I wanted a Snappy, and the dealer had a "special" buy on a smaller box, so I took the plunge.

My tools, on the other hand, are mostly Craftsman. I have no reason to spend $500 on a set of wrenches from Snap-on when I don't make a living with them. The $150 set from Craftsman does just fine, and is probably more than I "need" anyway. I buy a few things from Snap-on, such as impact & torque wrenches, but for the generic stuff it's just not worth it to me.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I do believe that the very expensive boxes are nicer than the average. However, is it worth a couple extra grand? I don't think so. I spent $1100 on a very nice Craftsman unit. I plan to use it professionally and in 9 ways out of 10 it is as good as the ones my buddies drop 4k or more on.

And most of those high end tool guys use all sorts of marketing scams to make you think you're getting a good deal. Half off really means nothing. They just write a bigger number next to the actual price and say "price reduced!" Even then it can still be a rediculous amount.

Last edited by mboe794; 11-27-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
had the same midlevel craftsman chest for 8 years. no visible wear or change in function, sliding drawers with a fair amount of use and neglect. While its always cool to have the best stuff, there is no way I could justify it - these have worked great. Like said above, there are enough tools I still need before spending more on chests.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a difference in quality among tool boxes. But in shops it's more of a pissing contest among techs. Who has a bigger box. Years ago the big thing was to have a top with a matching bottom. Then they added side boxes. Then everyone traded all that for a one big bottom with a butcher block work surface. Yea the techs do fill them up and still have tools laying around without having a place to put them. But it is nice to go home at the end of the day and know your tools are locked up in a box that has to be transported by a roll back wrecker in order to steal them.
Now the tools themselves are worth it. You can hold a Craftsman and a Mac or Snap-on and feel the difference. Using a Craftsman for a living is like cutting steak with a butter knife. The tool has to feel good and do the job and not break(as often). Yea they all have lifetime warranties but the tool truck comes to you weekly, and you better make your payment.....

Techs think tools are like guns. Don't ask to borrow them. Get your own.
If you borrow it more that 3xs, next time the tool truck shows up you need to buy it.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by motojoe
Using a Craftsman for a living is like cutting steak with a butter knife.
HAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Techs think tools are like guns. Don't ask to borrow them. Get your own.
Ain't that the truth. I remember a few years back I was putting new tires on my ZX12 to surprise my best friend (he was buying it from me) and it needed a special tool I didn't have to remove the front wheel. I offered a mechanic a 2k gold chain and my two week paycheck (I was pressed for time lol) to hold to borrow his $20 tool... he said no.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Are Snap-on toolboxes better than Craftsman? Hell yes, are they 10x the price better? hell no.

i have a select few Snap-On tools in my Aircraft Maintenance tool box. stuff that nobody else comes close to making a good tool. Ratcheting screwdriver Safety wire twisters, and some other stuff. the rest craftsmans is okay, Gray and Mac are good, even Home Depots Husky line (actually i think their ratcheting wrenches are the best by far, much more slender and the quality is top notch, better than Snap On)

my tool chest at home is a no name $300 top and bottom set. but then again, i hardly use it, it still has bearing drawers and all that jazz, but its true, compared to Snap On its crap, but it also costs 10 to 15X less than what i would have paid for a similar Snap On chest.

And hell yea, dont ask me to borrow my tools...

i've had **** go missing already and dude, i'll massacre when i find out who it is...

besides, tools are man toys...i love shopping for tools....cant have enough!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
SuperSport

I prefer most Craftsman tools to others like Snap-on and Matco. I really dislike the shape of the others' ratchet handles and I'm not a big fan of the chrome finishes on their ratchets and wrenches. They look nice and pretty in the tool box but to me feel awfully slippery.

One other thing I like about Craftsman is that if it breaks I just go to the local Sears. Walk in with the old, walk out with the new on a day of my chosing. If I'm anywhere in my seven county metro area I'm never more than probably ten miles from one. I find that much easier than dealing with a truck or some sales rep.

Last edited by mboe794; 11-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
My wife has put this on layaway for Christmas for me (the combo). I'm a Craftsman fan and mirror Mboe's comments about the ease of exchanges. I don't break them often, but when I do I don't have to wait a week.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
My wife has put this on layaway for Christmas for me (the combo).
You wont be disapointed. That is the exact same set-up I've got. Looks like it is a little cheaper online. One little bit of advice: it doesn't come with drawer lining and that stuff is priced pretty high at Sears. Less than half the price at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I have a link at work to a company that is the manufacturer for mac / matco / cornwell etc toolboxes. You can buy them direct at alot cheaper prices. The only thing that's missing is the mac / matco / cornwell etc logo.

Has anyone else heard about craftsman changing thier policy about returning tools yet? A friend of mine said they are starting to give out refurbished tools to replace ones you turn in.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i am a industrial maintenance worker and live with my tools. my opinion is a nice tool box is a must. that being said there is no way in hell i would pay 4000$ dollars for the nicest box on the planet! i have a functioning craftsman box i got at a yard sale years ago for fifty bucks. along with my craftsman i have a kennedy box that was givin to me. all of my tools are nicely organized and readily available at the pull of a drawer. but to me its not the tool box its the tools inside the box,and the hands that use them that count. my friend with the snap on tool box is fanatical about his box he paid 3,000 for,you can't sneeze around that thing with out him running to wipe it down and polish his baby. to me this is rediculous. my tool boxes are for work and are going to get used and dirty!!! sure i clean my boxes and even give them a coat of fresh paint when needed but cmon its a tool box! so for 3,000$ it better have a motor and be able to carry my fat *** to work so it can pay for its self.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
You can hold a Craftsman and a Mac or Snap-on and feel the difference. Using a Craftsman for a living is like cutting steak with a butter knife. The tool has to feel good and do the job and not break(as often).
+1 I'm not a professional mechanic but as an independent trucker of 20 years have done everything from rebuilding a Cummins Engines to snowblowers as required. I began with a craftsman collection but as they broke and malfunctioned over the years have neglected to return them for warranty because they feel clumsy, clunky and cumbersome and unreliable, and so I really don't want new ones. Consequently, I have developed disdain for anything with the craftsman name on it.

Tool boxes I have generic boxes that have held up well even though most drawers are overloaded weight-wise.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mboe794
You wont be disapointed. That is the exact same set-up I've got. Looks like it is a little cheaper online. One little bit of advice: it doesn't come with drawer lining and that stuff is priced pretty high at Sears. Less than half the price at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.
I considered the stuff at Sears - $25 per roll. I think I'll need two of those.

I found the Kobalt stuff at Lowes for about half that price. Moved down to the storage isle there and found this for half of the Kobalt liner. Same stuff, but in black, and longer.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:04 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
My local Costco has some pretty decent toolboxes for a pretty decent price. Plus you bought it from Costco.....you don't like it for ANY reason take it back!! As far as tools, I like my Craftsman.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
No doubt Snap-on, Matco, Mac and Cornwell are the best quality toolboxes you can buy, but what are your needs?

The main differences with the high end boxes is that they will hold more weight without buckling or falling apart. I taught Vocational Automotives at an Adult School for 34 years. We bought all our tools from Snap-on and had a full time tool room clerk to check them out to the students. So for 34 years I was spoiled, but now I'm retired and use my own tools at home. I have a mixture of mostly Craftsman with Snap-on and a few other quality brands.

When I worked in a shop in the '70s, I did tune-ups, which didn't require a large variety of tools at that time. I hardly had any metrics, and mostly 3/8 drive. So even though I've added necessary tools for truck and motorcycle, I don't have enough weight to warrant a high end box (and I don't want to pay that much). You DO get what you pay for, but I've found the better quality Craftsman boxes to fit my needs.

And, by the way, I took my Snap-on 18mm spark plug socket (bought in 1982) to Sears to compare wall thickness. (I've changed my plugs on the Hawk twice with it, but it's a very tight fit) Well the Craftsman 18mm plug socket is 1mm smaller in diameter. I'll be changing my plugs in a few weeks, so I'll see how it works then. $4.79 at Sears vs about 12 dollars (with 25% discount) from Snap-on Industrial sales rep 27 years ago.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I considered the stuff at Sears - $25 per roll. I think I'll need two of those.

I found the Kobalt stuff at Lowes for about half that price. Moved down to the storage isle there and found this for half of the Kobalt liner. Same stuff, but in black, and longer.
I think I got some at Costco in black for around the same or less... It is working great...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I lined my boxes with that stuff in beige, like the photo. The light color makes it easier to find the tools. I bought the Con-Tact brand at TrueValue Hardware, more expensive, but a little heavier.