Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Stepped over to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Squid

Sighter
Stepped over to the dark side

After spending a good bit of time in '05 watching WERA events and doing a track day working the pit for my son I decided to get this (at least it is another black Honda!):

600RR

I know I will miss the torque and V twin sound of my VTR, but I really like the light weight and flickability of the 600's. This is a pic of my youngest son from our last outing:

Zach
Old 12-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
She's purty (the 600RR). Congrats on the purchase. You'll be back here soon with a SHawk.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:35 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, congrats.

I luuuuved the handling of my F4i but in the end it was just another IL4 and the riding position was too small and cramped for me. I'm sure the boy won't mind! :-)
Old 12-09-2005, 06:45 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice bike If I had the money for two bikes that would be my track bike.

BTW Don't want to sound like I'm picking on your son or like I'm some kind of know it all but. A little tip that got me faster in the corners is to try and put your head aligned with where the mirrors used to be on the side that your leaning towards. Also try to stay with your toes on the pegs and hook your opposite leg with the back of the calf and knee on the seat. Just a tip that an expert racer at the track I go to told me my first time out.

I also see that your from Ala. how far are you from the Fla. boarder? The track I go to is in Jennings Fla. it's the last, or (first for you), exit in FLA. on rte.75. It's a beautiful motorcycle only,(no cars but they do have cart racing), track. They have track days just about every other weekend for $125 if you preregister and mondays are $99 all the time. The thing I love best is there's plenty of run of with no hard barriers except the trees if you go WAY off.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Squid

Sighter
We might make Jennings in January if all goes well, one of our riding buddies is going down January 7th and 8th. It is a pretty good haul for us with Barber 30 minutes away and Talladega an hour away, but I hear it is a great track. Wish it was warmer and we would just go and camp out.

Your tiip on his form is well taken. It was taken the first 30 minutes of his 1st track day at Talledega GP, he took one look at it and complained about not being in good position.

The control riders were a big help with lines and form. He manged a few 1:10's in street trim and stock gears on his R6 by the end of the day at the little Talladega track. He is anxious to learn more / go faster and is saving up for a riding school. I here the RPM school at Jennings is pretty good? Also Ed Bargy. Any recommendations?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Squid

Sighter
Oops, got a weird disconnect message and a double post...DOH!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never been to either one but have heard good things about both. As with most things I think it comes down to personal taste. From what I've heard Bargy,(who designed the track), teaches you how to ride it without using brakes and RPM is more hardcore.

Let me know if/when you're going to go and I can tell you the better places to stay in the area. I might even be up there around that date if funds permit it. The track is really nice there are no ripples caused by heavy vehicles going through the corners. The only downfall is it's a very flat track with no hills.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 AM
Squid

Sighter
Sounds great. We will give you a shout. If we don't make it in January we will soon there after. Track days around here don't start back up until March.