Step Off Your Crotch Rocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Step Off Your Crotch Rocket

Get off your crotch rocket for a bit, and take an 8 minute ride on the outside of an orbiter's launch rocket.

I received this video in an email last week and wanted to share with yous.

Text from email:
{
"This is what it what the Space Shuttle Booster cameras captured after separation during launch - Good views from boosters cameras

This is a very interesting video with sound. After the Columbia disaster, which was caused by a chunk of External Tank (sprayed-on) insulation coming off during launch and penetrating the wings leading edge, NASA made aggressive plans to install cameras on the two Solid Rocket Boosters. What you will see here is video taken from these cameras, all the way from just before launch, till splash down in the Atlantic.

Take note: upon ignition of the Space Shuttle Main Engines, 6.6 seconds before liftoff, the asymmetrical thrust causes a phenomenon called the "twang". The tip of the External Tank actually displaces 23 inches (away from the thrust) as the entire Shuttle stack bends. If you look carefully, you can see the entire stack bend when the SSME's are lit off. Also pay particular attention to the debris coming off the stack forward of the orbiter's wings. There is an appreciable amount of it.

Turn your sound up. This is very impressive video.

You've likely seen other videos taken from cameras attached to the Space Shuttle and its boosters, but this is one is exceptional in two regards: it's in HD and the sound has been re mastered by Skywalker Sound."
}

YouTube Link: ... Riding the Booster with enhanced sound
Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Very cool that's what I call acceleration!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
That was pretty cool. I'll have to watch it at home again later being I couldn't really have the volume up watching it here at work! LOL!