Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Speed Triple

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Speed Triple

I know it's blasphemy, but becoming kinda bored with the Hawk. Thinking of trading up to a Speed Triple. Been trying to find articles as to the reliability of them, but I'm finding mixed reviews. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The speedy was on my final list when I recently bought the RC51. The following is just my opinion.

Pro's: reasonably cheap if you are buyer. Comfy riding position, good handling, and power. 1050 motor is the one to get. The original hooligan.

Con's: poor resale if your the seller. Iffy reliability on older models. No wind protection, questionable looks. 955 motor isn't up to superhawk grunt levels.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Rode one for about 20-30 miles a few months back. Crazy fun. Inspires you to do stupid things...... Like riding a BMX bike with endless power. The 1050.

Actually one of the few bikes that actually scared me, in a good way. That said, I like the predictability of the hawk over the speed triple. just my .02.

Can't speak to reliability, but you may want to check out the reviews on powersportsnetwork.com.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
all i know about them is they look cool and they're comfortable. i would love to own one, but as superbling said, no wind protection, which definitely makes a difference.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Looking at a 2006 S3 for prolly about 6k. has 3k on the ODO and rides bad ***. was looking at the new 848 DUC but i just cant justify the cost.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

and dont get me wrong, I love the hawk, but just kinda want to try new things
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
2006 S3 for prolly about 6k. has 3k on the ODO

Sounds fair to me. Keep 'em both for a while. See what you end up riding more.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
i have been thinking the same thing but cant seem to find a new 08 speedy. but check out
www.thespeedtriple.com
and
www.triumphrat.net
Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
Used to own an old speed triple for 3+ years, didn't have a single problem with reliability. 1050 is even better, great bike, quality suspensions and brakes (early models had some issues with the nissin master cylinder but it's ok now) really fun to ride because of the torque but too much power for a naked bike and no clipons, you can make a easy wheelie with 3rd gear pretty easy. I aggree that the bike look a lot better and feels better if you remove the twin silencers under the seat (check zard or Arrow exhausts).
Really capable bike. Go for it
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DimSTriple
Used to own an old speed triple for 3+ years, didn't have a single problem with reliability. 1050 is even better, great bike, quality suspensions and brakes (early models had some issues with the nissin master cylinder but it's ok now) really fun to ride because of the torque but too much power for a naked bike and no clipons, you can make a easy wheelie with 3rd gear pretty easy. I aggree that the bike look a lot better and feels better if you remove the twin silencers under the seat (check zard or Arrow exhausts).

what about parts costs?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
...I really cannot tell because it's a European bike (English pound to be precise) and you live in the US.
What I can tell you is that in Europe the prices for parts are the same with Honda and Suzuki (expensive). I don't know if I'm helping you with this a nice Idea would be to call a dealer close to you and ask him to give you prices for a headlap, fairings, a peg, a steer etc.

You will sure love the bike
Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DimSTriple
Yeah I've seen several with Arrow exhaust, looks and sounds great, not too loud.
I've seen more Speed Triples around here than SuperHawks or RCs, the last 2 being pretty rare in these parts.

Looks like just 1/2 throttle in 1st will bring up the front end.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Condor
I know it's blasphemy, but becoming kinda bored with the Hawk. Thinking of trading up to a Speed Triple. Been trying to find articles as to the reliability of them, but I'm finding mixed reviews. Any input would be appreciated.
How long u had ur vtr? blasphamy for an old timer like me but not for you maybe... the 1050 is nice and not "too powerful", I'd put a small fairing on it and go, go, go but while its more "fun" and "modern" compared to my gentleman's express vtr, a speedy with arrows & a rechip is hard to beat though not much lighter than a VTR but more range from the bigger tank
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Triple

I'm looking as well. Test rode the Hypermotard S yesterday. Bike rides nice but the motor is soft. 12,300 out the door for a new standard Hypermotard. My buddy has a KTM 950 and it has twice the motor. Same dealership sells Triumph but he doesn't have a 1050 demo. He's looking to get me a ride. The Hawk motor is hard to replace. I can't believe Honda won't produce a newer updated version. I may just keep the Hawk as my primary bike and go to a KTM525/625 SMC for a play bike.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bowhawk
I'm looking as well. Test rode the Hypermotard S yesterday. Bike rides nice but the motor is soft. 12,300 out the door for a new standard Hypermotard. My buddy has a KTM 950 and it has twice the motor. Same dealership sells Triumph but he doesn't have a 1050 demo. He's looking to get me a ride. The Hawk motor is hard to replace. I can't believe Honda won't produce a newer updated version. I may just keep the Hawk as my primary bike and go to a KTM525/625 SMC for a play bike.
i wish they would do something like the 919 but with the v-twin... maybe like a 1200cc hooligan bike. i would be all over that. just want something a little more updated and something i dont have to throw a **** ton of time and $ into to bring up to snuff. youre right, though, i wish they would have reworked the VTR premise. its a bad *** bike. wish i could afford to have both, but im a lowly public servant with a wife that has expensive tastes
Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
I have a riding buddy and close friend that is on his third triumph and second speed triple. The first one took an untimely leap off the back of his trailer and ended up under it. His first Tri was a Sprint ST and that bike was awesome even over 50k miles until his brother laid it down.

From what I've seen he hasn't had any problems with them and I've actually been surprised at how well they have done with the abuse I know they received.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Been riding the new Triumphs since 95. Had a 95 Trident, no problems at all,good reliable bike... just a bit boring. Currently own an 02 Sprint RS, this has the 955 fuelie motor,which is a diamond!! The current 1050 is even better. Go buy one and when you get bored with it,give me a call!!
Cheers
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

THREAD RESURRECTION!!!

Just picked up a 2005 Speed Triple 1050 for $2,400 from the insurance auctions in California, 24k miles with a clear title... broken front brake lever and missing mirror. Such a fun bike to ride... it has the smoothness of an inline four with the torque of a twin. My only complaints are the front brake "feel" and the "too small for my big ***" seat.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Nice buy! I would love to know about how insurance auctions work. Cause I would love to ride that bike. You on the West coast yet or still in Flag?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
MotoGP

Still in Prescott... we're building up the business as much as possible so we can split a good chunk of change. The insurance auctions here in AZ are open to the public, but it's not cheap to sign up. Check out Copart and IAA to name a few.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
New to the Hawk!
Squid

bahndrvr is on a distinguished road
congrats man,

Thast is what i was looking for actually - drove the crap out of them and with the newer brakes on them they are Beast, it really came down to the Speed or the Buell XB's and then I ended up on the Hawk
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Very Nice.... i too am exploring other ride options.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
I like the Triples too. See my signature for how mine sounded with Micron slip-ons.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I was deeply and seriously in love with the I3. I had an early Trident 900 with Micons like Doug’s Sprint and boy did it sound hairy. That bike could keep up with everything my pals had from Japanese sportbikes to Ducatis Monsters, the powerband was like an Interceptor with one more nut and it was at least as reliable as any Honda I’ve owned.

I had a Sprint ST a couple of years ago though and downright hated it. I think I’m probably shrinking as I age and the Sprint was just too tall and top heavy for a short monkey like me. I’ve always lusted after the S3 – and this one looks wicked nice – but the next Triumph I get will be the 675.

How do you like the S3 compared to the SH, Daniel?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
I know MCN is a British publication, so they might be biased, but the rave about the triple. I've heard a lot of good things about them. And they are unique like the hawk.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Great buy on the Triple, man. I miss my hawk