Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

quick snowblower help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
quick snowblower help

hey guys, a buddy of mine gave me an old snowblower that came with his house. were talking like 1981 old. it needed a friction disc and it runs good. ive found that when i get into the heavier wetter snow she bogs down and even stalls but if i quickly hit the prime button it wakes up and will eat just about anything i can throw its way, so im guessing the carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. thats not the issue, we got alot of wet snow and i was working away just now and a couple times i had to stop an give her a shake or take to clear out the wet snow snake coming out of the chute and then i got into some more wet snow and started doing that and the crap was so wet it was actually stalling the motor when i engaged the auger. and then i let the smoke out. thought i might havbe snapped a belt, picked her up and both belts are on it still but the auger isnt spinning. im gonna go remove the snow from the inside and hope that the belt just slipped and got a little greasy on the wheel it sits on and that itll fix itself when it dries up. any thoughts on the situation?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
SuperBike

oh and its an old mastercraft snowblower with a tecumseh motor in it
Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
SuperBike

haha the belt is finished like dinner. lol. i just split the blower in half. turns out both bolts the hold the top of the 2 piece together broke off, and theyre rest of them is stuck in there. so i may just spot weld them and grind off the welds if i ever have to get back in there again. belt was chewed up good and stuck by the tensioner. time to see if i can find a belt for a 30 year old snowblower, if not im buying a new snowblower, lets hope the gf doesnt kick me out of the house if that happens, lol
Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
if not im buying a new snowblower, lets hope the gf doesnt kick me out of the house if that happens, lol
Just hand her a shovel, then she'll be all for a new blower.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Or move to where it doesn't snow
Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Uchi, you're in Thorold? One of the local agricultural dealers should have a belt....
Old 02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
SuperBike

thanks man, i went to canadian tire but they were closed so ill swing by one in the morning and see what i can find

trust me, she doesnt mind shoveling, shes conservative with money while i find things to buy. lol.

as for moving to a place it doesnt snow, kinda hard as id have to leave canada for that. maybe once those lottery tickets pay out ill buy a place where the weather is always good
Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
The old metal snowblowers can be a bear to live with but everything on them is replaceable/repairable/fixable. The metal auger, impeller and chute are probably rust covered and rougher than a cob at this point, and the wet snow will hang up and clog the chute fairly quickly. Wire brush or sand them down and give them a good coating with cooking spray, it's fairly benign to your yardand plants, and the non stick coating will cut down on the clogging.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
What's snow ?
Oh yeah, it's the white, cold stuff that's fun on skis and sleds ( powered by fuel or gravity ) but really sucks for two wheels.
It's also the reason I moved to California back in '84 after living in the white stuff all my life.

I agree with Gregw, hand her a shovel and then take her snowblower shopping....

Kai Ju
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
SuperBike

lol, well i bought a belt for it, just have to get around to changing it now. the snowblower was free, it needed a friction disc, 24 bucks shipped. so i cant complain too much about it. ill take your idea about cleaning the inside of the chute and such out, although it doesnt have that much rust its actually quite clean, but still come summer ill pull it apart and give it an overhaul.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
We've been hanging out in my garage fixing the neighborhood snow blowers for the last three weeks... only difference from hanging out and fixing motorcycles in the summer is their beer stays cold.

M
Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 PM
SuperBike

good point

mine only died because of the damn wet snow, my buddy has a 45 hp diesel tractor with a 7 foot snowblower on it and this stuff almost stalled that beast.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
wire brush and a few layers of enamel rattle can should help your clogging troubles. new belts and care in the wet heavy snow will be good for the auger and impeller. and not drivin' 'er into the snow banks hard will prolong the friction wheel's life.

i have a snow blower that has no belts od friction wheel. it's a two wheel tractor with a snow blower attachment. it's all gear driven. nothing stops it! i hit a rebar driveway marker that was buried in the snow bank. the motor bogged down like when we were 14 and used to let the lawn grow 2' tall. i pulled the blower out and the rebar looked like a fish hook!!! no damage and i kept on cleaning that snow out of there.

as much as i love that blower i am thinking about a utv + bercomac. anyone have comments on that?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
SuperBike

thats wicked man. im a big fan of things that dont have a weak link. make whatever you hit your weak link
Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
are you done sprucing up your blower?

i forgot to tell you about my nfld friend. he and i went out to have a few beers at the wildcats game. after the game i dropped him off and could not believe what my eyes were seeing. his wife was shovelling the driveway!!! he said that's an example of why you need to marry a newfie! since then i say to her, as a term of respect and affection: "what a woman!"
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
I bought an old Toro 2 months ago and have gone through 2 belts and 1 giant stick stuck in the auger. When I bought it, I opened the gas tank to find ice. So far my total cost on the thing is still under $285 including original purchase.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
SuperBike

with the belt ive got about 32 bucks tied up into mine