Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Passed on a another bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Passed on a another bike

I had the opportunity today to buy a 2002 Ducati 998 S. with 1200 miles. Yellow with the white tail. Not a mark on the paint. It has been sitting in a barn for 11 years covered and waiting for me to happen upon a deal that if I didn't already own a V-Twin I would have jumped on for $4000.00. I passed. Sitting for a long time could be a big issue but can be dealt with. I also wonder how many rodents are living inside the air cleaner etc. Maintenance intervals of 4K miles scares me. Talked to my son (I am an old fart) and his thoughts were, cool bike with great components but not very comfortable for any kind of long trip. Thought of buying it, get it running and sell it. KBB says it's worth $6000 in excellent condition. Of course I could ride it before I sell it just to say I did. The reason I own a VTR is I couldn't afford a real Ducati so I bought a poor man's Ducati which now that I own one my opinion is the poor man's Ducati is a superior machine for what I use it for. This is also a monumental day. I showed some maturity my wife never thought I had in me by not buying something I've always wanted on an impulse. As you may have guessed reading this I am having massive second thoughts on my decision. Anyone want to tell me I made a good decision to help make me feel better? Please.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:24 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Buy it. Resell it. Use profit to impress the wife with a vacation.

James
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I was thinking along those same lines James, albeit minus the vacation. If you can make an easy buck, why not? You get to say you owned and rode one of the most bad-*** bikes on the planet (@ one time).
Old 12-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
From one old fart to another, you made the smart choice. Sure you might have turned a small profit, but from what you write you have no prior experience fixing Ducatis. In your neck of the woods a bike in a barn 11 years would have been exposed to a lot of extremes of heat, cold and humidity. It is a gamble at best.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Good call, Stunning, Iconic, High Maintenance, torture racks... IMHO

Bought a 900ss/sp, which I think are stunning, to replace my Shawk. After a month of swapping back and forth between the two, the Duc left.....The ONLY catagory the Duc won was looks.....