Need some trackday tow vehicle ideas..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Need some trackday tow vehicle ideas..

Ok, the setup I usually use to get my bikes to the track and the dirtbike trails is a '99 Ex Crown Vic police car coupled with a cheap Harbor freight trailer. At this point in time the Vic is close to where it's needed repairs are more than the damn thing is worth, and I don't have room where I live to store a full size 4x8 trailer. I really need to jump ship with the Vic, pawn it off on some poor, very unfortunate mexican, and move on to something else.

SO, since I like how my fellow chicken hawkers think, I'd like to pose a question to you all: How do you guys get your vtr's to the track, and what setup/vehicle works best for you?

Try to keep these things in mind if you want to suggest something,

1. I commute on my bike, so the car/truck would only be used during the short winters here, grocery getting, and track/woods hauling.

2. I have a one car garage so I think a folding trailer would fit along with my two bikes and tools, so I don't need a truck. Towing capacity would have to be at least 1000lbs.

3. Whatever it is it has to come with a manual transmission. Slushboxes are for the weak and feeble.

4. 25+mpg would be really, really nice.

5. We're working with about a $5k dollar budget, + or - a couple g's.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
The Smart Car with the Hyabusa engine.lol
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

You know that's not such a bad idea. It meets the criteria and I bet the little bastard would fit in the garage!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
No brainer... Toyota pickup w/4cyl.

Either a 1st generation Tacoma or pre '95 Toyota pickup with a 22RE (E = fuel injected) 4 cylinder engine. They last forever, and valve adjustment only takes 1/2 hour on the 22RE, with most of that time spent removing and replacing the valve cover.

My wife's '86 SR5 4x4 Xtra cab, that she bought new, easily gets 24 mpg with a shell on it. And it has 371,000 miles on the clock.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
No brainer... Toyota pickup w/4cyl.

Either a 1st generation Tacoma or pre '95 Toyota pickup with a 22RE (E = fuel injected) 4 cylinder engine. They last forever, and valve adjustment only takes 1/2 hour on the 22RE, with most of that time spent removing and replacing the valve cover.

My wife's '86 SR5 4x4 Xtra cab, that she bought new, easily gets 24 mpg with a shell on it. And it has 371,000 miles on the clock.

The Toyota's are a very good option, matching your criteria, they tow enough, they get decent to good mileage and they come with a manual... And all of them seems to be nigh on indestructible... The one I have been trying to kill the last 12 years keeps going with a bit of basic maintainance... And that's despite the first owner mistreating it badly, and me not being very nice to it once I had it fixed (I traded a half decent lawnmower engine for it)... I guess the lifetime of it will expire when I cannot repair the frame and get it approved through the yearly check-ups... But it's a fair way of yet, since I keep fighting the rust as best as I can... I have no idea of the mileage on the thing since the ODO stopped working long before I got it, but it's still showing the 300.000 odd km it had then, and that was 12 years ago... When it does need parts (rare) it's usually easy to find used (around here they are very common), and if not, the low price of new parts keep surprising me, every time...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-18-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
toyota pickup or an s10. i had an 87 toyota pickup with the 22r, i kicked the ever loving snot out of it on the trails, flopped it on its side a bunch of times. buried it up to the windows in mud. and with my driving style eventually put a hole in the block but man was that little bastard tough
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I agree...small pickup. I would opt for a 6 cyl if possible for a bit more power. I've ALWAYS found trucks to be handy for much more than just taking my bikes to the track. If possible, find one with a topper. I usually take a ton of gear and other things to the track and the bed sure comes in handy.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

Dang, I'm surprised with the unanimous Toyota pickup idea. Any thoughts on the Ranger? I suppose the Yota is probably more durable.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll do some homework on Yota pickups.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

We have 3 with a total of over 730,000 miles, all bought new.

All are 4x4's
1986 SR5 Xtra cab pickup
1998 SR5 4Runner
2007 Tacoma double cab long bed.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I actually asked the forum this a little while back, and they pointed me the same direction. I wanted an early '00 Ragner as well, just for the sake of having a vehicle made in years after I learned how to drive!

This is what I've ended up getting:

'87 22R Fwd Pickup.
Name:  P6040017.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  223.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2583.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  189.5 KB

Haven't used it to tow the bike yet, but it has completed a 1000 mile trip to Colorado and back, and I've no regrets on the decision. I was in the same budget wise... spent 3K on the truck (which had about 1K worth of brand new rubber on the wheels) and another 1K fixing wear items... brakes, ac, door panels, shocks, exhaust... and a couple of cosmetics like that bull bar and a sound system. I don't have many miles to back it up, but I've beat the living snot out of it on the roads and trails and danged if the thing doesn't run better.

I like working on metric, and the thing has been a cinch to work on and parts are dirt cheap. Now that I own one, I see these things all over the road...
Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by NooB
Any thoughts on the Ranger?
I had a Ranger years ago. Lets just say that I won't own a domestic again.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
My Ranger has 175k on it, and still runs good. I change the oil when I run out of a case (run sythetic though). I change the filter about every 7-8k miles. It's a 2k with the 3.0 V6. IMO, it get's better gas milage than both the 4cyl, and the big six, because it doesn't have to wok as hard as the little motor, and, well, it's the little V6. They can be had in good shape for about $3-4k, and parts are everywhere for them.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I agree with the Toyota for what you are looking for. Whether it's the late 80's/early 90's with the 22RE, or the Tacoma's with 2.4L 2RZ(2 wheel drive) or 2.7L 3RZ(4WD) they last forever if you do routine maintenance, meet your M.P.G desires, and wouldn't struggle too much pulling the type of trailer you described. Anything much bigger/heavier to tow and they are a little weak pulling hills.

I'd suggest the 22RE powered vehicles, the motor is bulletproof, easy to work on, and parts are available used or new anywhere. I've had several early 80's celicas with the 22RE I've run past 300k miles. One I had with 340k ran better and stronger than others with under 200k...

*If you look at toyotas, I would avoid the 3.0Liter V6 from the 80's/90's. They had a headgasket recall, so if you see one make sure it's had the recall work done or it could be a ticking time bomb...and they are tighter to work on under the hood.

that said, I use a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the Torque monster 4.0L motor, and full time quadratrac. Pulling a aluminum trailer and lots of gear I get 18-20 M.P.G up and down the hills to Summit Point.

Need some trackday tow vehicle ideas..-p6181225.jpg

Last edited by 98VTRrider; 08-19-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: 3.0L V6 Warning
Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Another vote for the Yota. Rangers aren't BAD per say, but they aren't good either. I'd prefer one over a S10 but only just.

7moore actually sniped that truck out from under me.. lol I was looking at around the same time and saw it on CL but he got it while I was thinking about calling. I ended up with a Samurai (I wanted off road, so sami also fit) and am happy with what I got, but the Yota woulda been nice too.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually really like the idea of driving Al Qaeda's choice of war vehicle lol.

I'd like to know how in the hell people get 300k+ miles out of a 4 banger truck... Probably nickle-sil cylinders, forged internals, and a hellofa good oil pump.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
MotoGP

Had my wife's 22RE ('86 4x4 Xtra cab SR5) rebuilt when the timing chain started making a hell of a noise at 338,000 miles. It was still using less than 1 quart of oil/1,000 miles and running strong with 185 psi compression in all cylinders.

Oil and filter change every 3,000 miles with Castrol GTX 10w30 (not the high mileage stuff they try to push at the parts store). Change the plugs and adjust the valves (piece of cake) every 25,000 miles. It now has 371,089 miles with original trans, drive line and fuel injectors. I didn't replace the rear brake linings until 270,000+ miles.

Libyan rebels are using Toyota's as well.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
I agree that a pick up is great to have but are you okay with a two seater + two tiny back seats?

What about an suv and a hitch carrier? That is what I use for the track and also when I take the dirtbike to the desert.

Get the model that is anti-"wobble".

Miguel
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 AM
SuperBike

i had an 01 ford explorer sport. it towed well, did an 800 km round trip with my trailer on it in one day and it was fine. but theyre known for tranny issues and eventually i lost third and it finished off more stuff and cost 2400 to rebuild. aside from that the 4 liter had more than enough power to tow two bikes. the only down side is it was pathetically small in the trunk. what about an explorer sport trac? they have a different tranny, a 4 spd vs the sports 5. its a crew cab. has a big enough box to pile your crap into. its not an overly large vehicle. and the 4 liter will tow better than any old toyota offering will.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Get one of these

Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NooB
I actually really like the idea of driving Al Qaeda's choice of war vehicle lol.
I love seeing the war footage from the middle east with 2wd 80's toyotas riding around with machine guns mounted in the bed..there's a reason for it..they don't stop running. I wonder how long they wait for oil changes out there? Some probably have original oil filters haha....

ever see Top Gears episode trying to kill a toyota Hilux? Good watch...the highlight is when the demolish a 10 story building with the truck on the roof....hooked the battery back up and drove it off the pile of building, broken frame and all....(if i remember right theirs was diesel)

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Had my wife's 22RE ('86 4x4 Xtra cab SR5) rebuilt when the timing chain started making a hell of a noise at 338,000 miles.
One thing I forgot to mention, the Achilles heal of the 22RE motor is the timing chain guides. they are made of plastic, and after 150k miles or so the chain guide will wear through and break, then the chain rubs the front timing cover, eventually chewing through to the water pump, which will mix oil/water...not a good thing....happened to my 84 celica GTS, drove it 20miles home on 0 oil pressure, fixed the cover, and kept going strong.

That said, 7Moore7, have you pulled your valve cover and checked your timing guides? easy to do, and adjusting the valves while you're in there will only add about 10 minutes to the job
Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Top Gears episode...(if i remember right theirs was diesel)
It was a diesel.. they started the thing up with like a hammer and WD-40 after spending a few hours in the ocean.

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
That said, 7Moore7, have you pulled your valve cover and checked your timing guides? easy to do, and adjusting the valves while you're in there will only add about 10 minutes to the job
Haven't done either of those... I'll get on that this weekend

Originally Posted by lazn
7moore actually sniped that truck out from under me.. lol I was looking at around the same time and saw it on CL but he got it while I was thinking about calling.
Uh... whoops! Probably should led me to think that Dakotas were the best truck ever made so you could have your pick of Toyotas... I didn't realize that you were looking at that one
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Cafe Racer
I agree that a pick up is great to have but are you okay with a two seater + two tiny back seats?
Yeah, I have a four door now and don't ever use the back seat. I'd like to get just the regular single cab, but the little back seat area would be useful to stuff with gear.

Originally Posted by uchi
the 4 liter will tow better than any old toyota offering will.
True, but if I had a truck I wouldn't need a trailer

Originally Posted by Wicky
Get one of these

Thats ****** HAUS! Screw driving to the track.. I could just post up and ****** live there with that fine machine. Damn it's about time this thread got hijacked.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
The achilles heel of the 22re is only that in the manuals. the hard decel puts tension on the wrong side and causes the excess wear. The replacement parts are upgraded with steal inserts. It isnt much of a concern unless you beat them senseless. I had ones with 215k on it with no work done to the engine, and no problems.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 AM
SuperBike

the box isnt long enough for a bike but its plenty big for all of your track day stuff

no one mentioned the other downside to the old toyota trucks. they rot. and they rot bad. especially if theyve lived in salty environments, rotten frames, rotten bodies. we have a ton here, most have had the frames boxed and replaced for that reason. another option if you wanna stick toyota is the 4 runner. they were available in a v6 with a bit more pep, wasnt as strong as the 22r/22re motor but it would make towing a bit easier. my buddy has an older 4 runner with the v6 and a stick and tows his aluminum boat behind it like nothing
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Uh... whoops! Probably should led me to think that Dakotas were the best truck ever made so you could have your pick of Toyotas... I didn't realize that you were looking at that one
LoL no worries, you got a good truck out of it, and I got a road legal ATV errm samurai that I am happy with.

(Samurais are great vehicles too, but not for towing.. they weigh almost nothing and with only ~60hp on tap are just not built for that.)