Moving to Kentucky, anybody near?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving to Kentucky, anybody near?

Thats right...

I am originally from the south, and my wife TRICKED me into moving to Western NY in 2005... Of course this is her home town, and family is here, so i soon figured out that I was stuck here...

Well.... My father moved to a small town just outside of Bowling Green, Ky a few years ago, and has told everyone since how great it is... Property values are low, so you can have a nice house, without a HUGE payment. Taxes are low, property taxes are also low, no crazy vehicle inspections and such, good schools, and all around nice area... ESPECIALLY THE WEATHER... which is nothing like Wed's high of 17 here, and high of 15 on Thursday here.. lol

Well... Last year my Grandparents (fathers parents) purchased a 52 acre farm a few miles from my Dad's place. It was a Ahmish farm, so no electrical, or running water, but there are other homes very close that are modern, so the electrical and water is there, just needs to be moved onto the property... There is a 2 story house, with full basement... Good sized house, I don't know the square footage, but its not tiny... HUGE front and back pourch on the house, and the foundation, and frame of the house are rock solid... Just needs gutted and modernized... Including water, electric, and septic... There is also a 26x50 garage, concrete floor, and nice sliding doors.. As well as two HUGE barns... A small pond, and a freshwater spring from the hillside...

WELL... on to the story... My grandparents, who are retired... And currently live in Virginia, have sold there Carver motor yacht, in exchange for a 40ft Winnebego Tour (sure its spelled wrong)... And are selling the house on the water in Va to build a home on the 52acre property in Ky, and live primarily on the road in there RV, but having there "home base" there in Ky... BUT... Since they will be traveling most of the time, that meant paying somebody for upkeep of the property, and the lack of security as for there property inside the home and barns...

SO.. thats where i came in... As my entire family has been trying to help save me from spending the rest of my life in NY... They offered me the house for FREE... Updating the house on there dime!!!!!!!! In exchange for use moving there to live...

HOW COULD I SAY NO? Well... My wife managed to come up with a years worth of NO's.. but FINALLY, with my fathers health not being all that great, she has decided she is willing to move... So we will selling off some of the toy's... Riding Mowers, Camper, Snow Blower, and hell.. probably half of whats in our garage.. And if all goes well, we will have our home rented out within the next two months, and head out...

So...

We will be in the Smiths Grove, Ky area... just a few miles outside of Bowling Green, Ky...

anybody around there?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Guess not...........LOL..
Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Squid

down1up5rider is on a distinguished road
I live in BG and work at the local Honda shop. I guess you will be needing a discount on Superhawk parts and accesories...I also know the local roads, some of the best in the country.

down1up5rider
Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by down1up5rider
I live in BG and work at the local Honda shop. I guess you will be needing a discount on Superhawk parts and accesories...I also know the local roads, some of the best in the country.

down1up5rider

Nice... Well i'll probably be headed to see you for the 1st service on the bike. I would normally do most service stuff myself, but this is the first time i've purchased a new bike, so i think i'll let honda recheck everything after the brake in period, and first fluids change...

I will more than likely be working in Bowling Green, but not sure yet... As for where i will live... Initially in Smiths Grove, which is a few miles north of bowling green, and once the house is done, we will be a couple miles from Smiths Grove, just inside Barren County...

I'll have to give you a shout once i'm there... Shooting now for March 14th departure from Ny... possibly one week before, or after... depending on how soon the house sells...
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Squid

Here's a link to our shops website:
http://www.mikescycleworld.com/

Bg is growing, lots of jobs right now. Pay scale isn't too great around here...

...did I mention we have good roads??

lol
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

awesome...

and i know the roads are awesome... Infact, I can not wait to carve up my dad's road.. lots of turns, and hills... He's got a cruiser, and i always take it for rides when i'm down.. I am somewhat familiar with the area... And took a job with a company here in a somewhat shitty position just so i can try transfering down.. I've got about 9yrs experience in the cell phone business, and the last four years in district level management or higher, so i'm hoping that i can move down on Cingular/AT&T's dime.. but if not, i'm still coming...

Also sold cars a few times between jobs.. so if worse comes to worse, sales is sales...

what do you do there at the dealer? sales, service? janitorial duties? lol

and i'm assuming you ride a SuperHawk?

Last edited by joshuatest; 01-19-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Squid

I sell bikes and atv's at Mikes.

We will be looking for another salesperson in the spring if you happen to be looking then, but a gig at AT&T would be alot better, I am sure.

There are miles of nice roads around Barren river lake, I have lived here most of my life and still discover new roads to check out all the time.

If your in the area stop by Mikes Cycle World and ask for Forest. My shop number is 270-781-3380
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Look me up this spring and summer. I am an hour south of there in Nashville area. We have tons of roads east of Nashville that we regularly ride that are Fantastic.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Thumper
Look me up this spring and summer. I am an hour south of there in Nashville area. We have tons of roads east of Nashville that we regularly ride that are Fantastic.
I will do.... Nashville isn't far at all...

And i'll swing through Mikes when i get down there.... I may be down for a few day's before then, not sure yet... But if i do, i'll swing by
Old 08-09-2008, 05:35 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I'm here, I'm here...

We rolled into KY on July 27th, and I have just now gotten the chance to log on and see whats going on...

Move went well, now to the getting settled in part...

if anybody is around me, let me know... the riding around here is AWESOME...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Glad you made it down safely... I can send you some snow if you start to miss it
Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Bowling Green, don't Corvettes come from there?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Bowling Green, don't Corvettes come from there?
Yes they do, all vettes come from BG.

Hey PM me if you are interested in coming out to the Motocross race this Saturday. My son race CR85RB
SuperMini and his new CRF250R at www.ballancemotox.com just north of the corvette plant

I will hook up with you in a few weeks, it's crazy right now. Did a track day last Saturday night at Nashville SuperSpeedway, went local MX track today and Titans game tonight and races next Saturday night.

We got a great group of level headed sport Rider in Mid-TN, which i know is an hour from you, but all the roads east of Nashville are top notch riding.

Send me a PM with your contact info.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Depending on when/where on Saturday, I might be able to make it. I think I work until 6pm on Saturday in BG.

I actually live 10 or so miles north of Bowling Green in Smiths Grove.

I've been looking for some local riding forums and such with no luck...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

I will send you a PM with our local Mid-TN forum, pretty active