Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Mixed feelings - my son wants his MC permit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Mixed feelings - my son wants his MC permit

After riding dirt bikes when younger, my son hadn't shown much interest in road bikes, and I have to admit part of me had always been relieved, but another part was disappointed too, not to share something I enjoy so much. But I've always tried to be neutral. This past week, at 19 he announced he now wants to get his permit for a MC and had been mulling it over the past couple of months. I have the same mixed feelings about it. We still have a DRZ400 we are going to dualsport and make road legal, and get some road tires for it and get hooked up with MSF course also.

Any of you gone through this stage of parenthood yet? any lessons learned?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
After riding dirt bikes when younger, my son hadn't shown much interest in road bikes, and I have to admit part of me had always been relieved, but another part was disappointed too, not to share something I enjoy so much. But I've always tried to be neutral. This past week, at 19 he announced he now wants to get his permit for a MC and had been mulling it over the past couple of months. I have the same mixed feelings about it. We still have a DRZ400 we are going to dualsport and make road legal, and get some road tires for it and get hooked up with MSF course also.

Any of you gone through this stage of parenthood yet? any lessons learned?
oddly enough i was thinking about this tonight. i don't have any kids, but i was wondering how i would feel when my kid told me he wanted to ride with me / wanted a motorcycle. I rode with my dad in both dirt and street, and he was always worried sick, but also enjoys it. my mom hates it..... might be one of those things where you have to just trust that what you taught him has sunk in. touchy subject. its like my brother has started to ride recently because he wants to ride with me. if something happens to him, ill never forgive myself because i prompted him to do it. at the same time, its a real blast and i love sharing the sport with him....showing him how to fix ****, check ****...its a good bonding experience. boys and their toys....
Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feel ya there bud, I got a 15 year old that is starting to show interest in Street bikes. He has raced hair scrambles and MX events for years and has been riding motorcycles since he was 5 years old.

That being said, i know that a SuperMoto style bike or a Ninja 250 would be the first bike i would consider putting him on. Light, nimble and not to much power.

My biggest fear is not his skills as a rider, but his lack of knowledge of cars, trucks and traffic as it applies to a motorcycle and the dangers.

I know this if i removed all vehicles from his route i would not worry as he would twist the throttle to the point of just enough and not go to far over the limit. But, damn cars scare me already.

I will tell you that when that day comes i will require he have full gear and proper pertection as well front Head light modulator and rear brake light modulator.

MSF class will also be mandantory as well as 50 to 100 hours of ride time with me and fellow Level headed sport riders in a group format.

Good luck on your decision, I will probably bend when he is 17 so as to be able to have a year or so of minor age to mandate my requirements.

Once he is 18 he can as you know do what ever he wants and i would rather teach him than have him rebel, buy a bile, and learn from some bunch of idiots that have no experience either and get hurt or worse.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
I think since he understands the fundmentals of riding it should be a great bonding experience. My son wants to start riding dirt and he is nine. I am so worried but I really want him to enjoy life. The best you could do I guess is what I have been thinking of... tell him to ride responsible(its a privilage) and always wear the gear.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
i about 3 years to go on 2 of my boys. and like you im really scared i know what i was like
even after my dad showed me the proper way ....i would still do it my way until some went wrong i just hope my kids are not as hardheaded(dumb) about things as i was they seem to be alot more reserved than i was. i hope everything works out good as im sure it will.
Especially with the dirt background. instinct and reaction take over on the road alot from proper mx backgound.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by filter69
i about 3 years to go on 2 of my boys. and like you im really scared i know what i was like
even after my dad showed me the proper way ....i would still do it my way until some went wrong i just hope my kids are not as hardheaded(dumb) about things as i was they seem to be alot more reserved than i was. i hope everything works out good as im sure it will.
Especially with the dirt background. instinct and reaction take over on the road alot from proper mx backgound.
Yep thats what I am worried about.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by filter69

Agreed, dirt riders with lots of seat time make better overall street riders as they seem to see the road much better than your average sport rider. At least its that way with the 20 or so sport riders i ride with.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Mad Max Beyond Super Hawk
Squid

savdre is on a distinguished road
Ok here's my suggestion... take him on your hawk and give him the fastests scareist ride you can. Get the front end a little light, lean down as best as you can, a twisty road with a cheer cliff would be a nice touch.

If he is scared S-less. Let him get a bike.

If he smiles with a devlish look and says" is that all you got dad"... make him walk everywhere for the rest of his life.

See my sons know I have a bike, but they don understand your supposed to ride it, becasue all i do is fix it. so they think a motorcycle is for fixin.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd think the fact they he has alot of dirt experience helps... Personally, I'd think if he could have a bit more driving time with cars, that would help, as it's nice to learn the street in the big old steel cage.

My suggestions...
1. A bike that will keep him out of trouble for awhile... I'd bet 80 percent of new riders that go down on on bikes way to big or powerful for them.
2. Make him pay for it.... its amazing how when you have to pay for something, you find ways NOT to abuse or destroy it, and are much more mature about it's use.
3. Gear him up fully, and make sure he wears it all the time... once you get used to the stuff, you kinda feel naked out there without it.
4. Ask him to drive in non-populatd areas for awhile... I spent the first 4 years with my license bike in North Carolina... then came back to NYC.... I'd probably be off bikes had I had to learn here with the crazy traffic drives all over.

Good luck... I got about another 2 years before my daughter is probably on a dirtbike.... she already calls my Hawk "Lilly's cycle"!!!

J.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

thanks for the input guys. I agree the dirt bike experience will be helpful and is reassuring to me - we had a lot of good times on the bikes as well. I think that expereience also demystified the bikes a little for him too, found out falling hurts, lots of work, maintenance etc - and maybe that is some of what has delayed this decision for him. Or like Savdre says, maybe he mostly thinks bikes are just for fixing since I am almost in the garage on one project or another.
But, I think he keeps himself in check most of the time. Even on the dirt he was never out to jump highest or take too many risks and now he's had a car license for 3 years and been responsible with that as well. And luckily we live in a mostly small city/rural area with a very (relatively) high motorcycle awareness as there are lots of bikes. Gear is a really good point, right from the start, we have boots, gloves, helmets and armored jackets in every corner of the house.
For those with smaller kids the dirt bikes are a great way to have fun and you get to go back to dirt bikes again as well - which not only improves your riding, it removes the desire to do really dumb stuff on the road - almost as good as a track day and quite a work out.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
you cant not let him ride! Here was my experience with bikes and what my dad did with me. First off Ive been riding sense I was a small kid Started out on a Honda atc 90, trail 90, 110s. xr80, cr, yz, rm80 but then when I was around 12 I wanted to go ride with my dad on the road he had his ducati and their was our xr500 dual sport so my dad took to a big field and let me go on the 500. sure it was too big for me but I was in a controlled area NO cars NO other riders and I already had a good understanding that a bike no matter what size is as fast as the right wrist lets it be.

so after I got comfortable on the 500 we too it to parking lots (always in full gear) and learned how the road was similar and different to the street by the time I was able to ride the road legally I was ready I had been taught about what too look for and what to do in situations but was lacking 1st hand exp. So my dad took me on rides through the back country with him and with minimal car exposure I learned then moved to city streets then was let loose.

When I got my hawk my 1st liter sized street bike my dad was still wondering if it was to much bike for me :P so we went for a ride he followed and watched went on it all highway to palomar (course I was used to turns from super motards) He was impressed and happy.

Long story short and the moral of my story is you're son is only go to be as good as your teachings, Its up too you how good he gets/ is. Hes already got a good background in bikes so bring it too the street.. you cant be a smoker and tell your kids cigarettes are bad. My daughter is 16 months already plays with motorcycles and has a z50 waiting
Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife told me she wanted to start riding a little over 3 years ago, and my initial reaction was "no way". But then she said she had looked into the MSF course, so I agreed. She took the course, got Kieth Code's books and Nick Ienatsch's book and read them every night.

I know its a different level of maturity with a 54 year old woman. She rode the neighborhood to get the hang of her EX500, and she rode with me gradually increasing the distance from home. Now after 16,000 miles she rides her SV650S with me up and down the coast and on some great mountain roads.

The rewards are great. You just have to trust your judgement and his. Hopefully you've set a good example. Although I question hanging off while driving a minivan.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
This hits very close to home
My 15 year old has been riding the best and worst of off road trails, MX, and the like with me for years. We have moved him though many bikes as his skills developed.
His mom decided to starting riding Street, in order to extend our together time,, I could not be happier,,, so we are now a 8 bike family, and she is on her 2nd street bike (Ninja 650R)

BUT,,, it's license time.. 15 1/2 is coming up soon, then 16... and I KNOW he is going to want a MC license, more then a car license.

I have no fear of him on the bike, just him on a bike around cagers.... I will be gone for a year here real soon..... And have asked him to wait till I come home again for his license. I've taught bike/street survival skills to a bunch, most recently my wife 3 years ago..... I know I can do it for my son also,,,,,,,, but I have to be here for it...

Short answer.. Yes I'll let him get a license,, let him learn what is right from the group I ride with,, I wear ATGATT now, because of the group I fell in with when I was starting out.. they did, so i did. pretty sure it will work the same for him.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Good to hear your son wants to get his MC license. Your his father and you and he should discuss things and come up with the best solution for him.
A few more suggestions to add to the mix of information to base your decisions on.
Find a good Dirt Bike school in your area to refresh him on some skills he may have over looked in the past. You'd be surprised as to what even the most experienced off-road-er over looked over the years. Then enroll him in the MSF BRC(Basic Riders Course) in your state. He only needs be 16 years old to attend. Then find a Track Day in your area and spectate for a day. Show him as many facets of riding as you can, together. If he still wants to ride on the street, he will be well informed. Proper gear wear should be a habit.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
He's nineteen years old? Sir, at nineteen I was sitting in the open door of a UH-1C with an M-60 in my lap ten thousand miles from home with people shooting at me.

The days of 'letting him' are past. The days of participating with him as you both explore what your adult relationship is going to entail is the close horizon. Set the best example you can until you can't keep up anymore then hope he turns around and comes back to see what's keeping you.

This sport of ours needs rational participants to keep it viable, I tried with my step son but he never got the fever, here's hoping you have more luck with your son.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
All i know is ,if i had a bike when i ws 19 i probably would have some broken bones if not worse .i didnt have a Dad to ride with though. the only reason why i ever wanted a bike at 19 was to go fast and do wheelies on the freeway... im 33 now.. and the i use my hawk to ride to work, i love to ride ...period... i would hate to loose my bike because of showing off, going too fast or doing something stupid.. I love to take it through twities and go a little fast at times, but im always within reason.. ( or way out in the middle if B.F.E. ) My point is , Is your son responsible enough to ride always ride safely by himself??

Like PUSHrod said set an example, ride with him, " letting him" is gone he is an adult.. if he wants it , he'll get it.. better to guide him and be the best teacher you can rather than fight him on this one....

It only took me 4 years to get my wife to think like that about me selling mt dirtbike and getting a hawk.. she was more fight than teach though..

good luck
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about this last night actually. I have two boys (2 and 4) and I know at some point I need to get them on a motorized bike so they know what to do. But the thought of something happening to them on a street bikes scares the hell out of me. I guess that is what a Dad is supposed to feel. I know for me learning to ride was the opposite than many. My Mom bought my Dad a harley and he didn't know how to ride. I would borrow it and ride it around Durham learning. My first bike was a 1200cc Buell. Way too much bike and occasionally I would get speed wobble. Even took the bike back thinking something was wrong. It was me, not the bike. I'm thankful I'm still around to learn from my mistakes. Even with all the training something can happen, so it will be all the gear, all the time. I think if they do ride I'll just have to teach em what I know and MST, make sure they have the gear, and pray if/when something happens that cuts and bruises are the extent of it. They are gonna be boys regardless if they are on a bike or not.

Or I can sell my bike and deny everything... lol
Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by newb007
I was thinking about this last night actually. I have two boys (2 and 4) and I know at some point I need to get them on a motorized bike so they know what to do. But the thought of something happening to them on a street bikes scares the hell out of me. Or I can sell my bike and deny everything... lol

Well my 12 yr old just got his cast and all off of his left foot. suzuki 80 in the dirt "Learning"
how to ride got cocky and then ran outa ***** grabbed a handfull of front brake at about 30 mph endo'ed the bike which landed on his left foot and broke 3 metatarsels and some other bone i cant pronounce. BUT! after 8 weeks and countless $$$ he's ready to get back after it
The Ain't Skeered attitude. I love it he learned a great lesson about respect and control.
and no one died... funny thing was at the hospital they kept sayin did you have a helmet
sir was he wearing a helmet and im like ya next time ill put the FU**'in helmet on his foot lady......Sorry rant over i started riding at age 5 (honda three wheeler 110,which i got hit by a car on lucky to have both legs.....)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
He's nineteen years old? Sir, at nineteen I was sitting in the open door of a UH-1C with an M-60 in my lap ten thousand miles from home with people shooting at me.

The days of 'letting him' are past. The days of participating with him as you both explore what your adult relationship is going to entail is the close horizon. Set the best example you can until you can't keep up anymore then hope he turns around and comes back to see what's keeping you.
Now that is an interesting comparison/perspective. I know they are much more shielded than what 19 used to be, that is for sure.

But overall, I'm glad he still thinks enough of us to get my endorsement on it, and I'll use that attitude to make the most of teaching him. We have a very small track nearby - sort of a high performance advanced riders course done on weekends, like a mini-track day - nice because its very short tight track with mostly turns, so top speed is not high. Lots of good riders, well run and perfect place to solidify some skills and still challenge himself for awhile.

thanks again for the input everyone.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1 on being a good dad. There aren't enough of you nowadays.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The world is a dangerous place, and your job as a parent is not to protect him from it, but to enable him to deal with it. If you continually protect him, he will never be able to stand on his own. Of course you protect him when that is necessary to keep him alive, but other than when a threat is immediate, your job is to guide him to be able to live as a man.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Squid

DuCaTi_HuNtEr is on a distinguished road
I started with a lot of dirt experience, but my let me get a street bike before I had a license. I was very savvy and always rode with caution, Untill... All the guys from the shop I worked at decided to have a big ride on the Fourth of july weekend. I, of course, went with them.
I had never had a problem on the street, and even avoided a few close calls. But when that day came I heard everyone tell me repeatedly that I should not try to keep up with the older guys. That would only cause problems for me. But seeing as how I knew I was "just as fast" I paid no attention.
I dumped my first street bike a week after I got it at 65 MPH in a 20MPH set of twisties in Colorado Trying to hang with the big dogs. I wadded my bike and had to ride it home broken, bleeding and embaressed.
My advice to you is to recognize your boys abillities as they stand in the dirt, and guide him into the streets with your wisdom... He may be cocky at first but it will not take long for him to scare himself. When he does you will have his undevided attention. Then he will retain all the knowledge that YOU can pass on to him.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Squid

SkullHeadNoPants is on a distinguished road
I began my own ridin' life in 2001 when I bought my F4i. The next year I bought a XR100 to start teaching my boys on. My second oldest son took to it right away (12yrs old) and the oldest lost interest. Two years ago I started letting him ride the F4i around our neighborhood while I followed on the Xr100. He progressed very well, has always been top notch when it comes to safety and has never given in to the desire to "show off". Last year he started ridding on his own and I allowed him to ride around town as long as I knew where he was going and that he called me when he arrived and when he was heading home. No problems, no issues. This year I bought the Superhawk and sold the F4i to him. Within two weeks of having his own bike it happened.....

He was coming to the crest of a hill while going within the speed limit. As he gets to the crest, he notices up ahead a jeep in his lane waiting to make a left turn. He slows the bike as he approaches, notices that the Jeep is clear to go, notices the Jeep begin to move and decides to accelerate. Of course....The Jeep stops abruptly. My son locked the front brakes, the front slides out from underneath him and he and the bike hit the back of the Jeep. Damage to my son - Minor scrapes and a torn glove, Damage to the F4i - Would be totalled if I turned it into insurance. It took us quite a while to fix the damage but we now have a really fun Streetfighter that we are getting ready to paint....

We talked allot about what he should have done differently and how even if he was doing everything right that doesn't mean everyone else is. Who cares who gets the ticket if your DEAD.

I don't know if my story will help you at all but I thought I'd share my experience.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The first sargeant has been with this kid, racing with this kid since he could walk. The kid has watched his father come home from every shithole hotspot in the universe for twenty years. He knows a survivor and a huntsman. When his Dad says, talks, teaches survival skills I think he is probably the best. Oh, and motorcycles skills - I hear he's good there too!

Originally Posted by PUSHrod

This sport of ours needs rational participants to keep it viable, I tried with my step son but he never got the fever, here's hoping you have more luck with your son.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Your concern is understandable.
I would express the concern, then gently encourage him to go ahead, but he's going to ride with you to start out.

Go out riding with jus the two of you. Warn him about things like target fixation and not to focus on the rider in front of him. Tell him to ride where he can see the road ahead, instead of the rider ahead. Switch leads. Show him a great time without being crazy. By the time he wants to go ride with friends, he'll have the start of a good head on his shoulders.

If he wants to go fast, take him to the track and show him what fast is.

You know how we all love it. You can't deny him the same pleasure.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been half expecing my son to show an interest in motorcycles. He just turned 15 and is looking forward to driving.

I think my wreck and the aftermath had a lasting effect on him. I was pretty messed up for 10 weeks, but managed to be fit for skiing by January 1st.

He is extremely motivated by mt. bike riding and "freeriding" both skis and bikes. Not having a bike in the garage has kept his focus off of them. I guess the other factor is, he pays most of the bill for his biking and skiing, so he knows he can't afford a motorcycle yet. He'll probably want a dirt bike first.

I'm pretty sure the seed is in there somewhere. We'll see what happens when there's a track bike in the garage.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Count the days. brother, and ask for a blessings for him and for everyone.

He watched the most important person to him crash, injured, fight back for both himself and his bike and that is undullibly etched on his memory.

I will impart this. It's not the bike it's everything else that goes with a hot bike. The hot chicks, the lifestyle, the drugs, disprespect of parents and cops - whatever.

When it got over the egde for Chas I pulled the financial chain out of it and it died in less than 36 hours.

I would remind parents as I remind him. What you do today is not a contract on your future.

What I did back then to get him off his bike was back then. It's now a year or so later and it's different with him. He understands why I did it.

He wants a 1K RR and I'm all for it if he passes his upcoming licensing exams and can support the payments.

My parents were the same way. "You can fly the airplane because they don't charge us more in insurance because you haven't crashed it. You cannot drive the car." It was me and my Cushman to the airport.

The difference between the midteens and the late teens is light years for parents. A two year delay to the teenagers is a lifetime. I appreciate what many of you may face over the coming months. Keep the faith! Our young people will prevail!

Last edited by nuhawk; 09-23-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I don't have kids, but I'd rather have them learning under my direction and supervision, and riding with me as much as possible, rather than hiding it from me and riding dangerously with their friends.

Telling him no would probably make him want it more. If I was 19, and you played the hypocrite and said no, I'd buy one anyways, keep it at my friends house, and learn to ride the hard way. But then again I'm an ingrate.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
My first post here but I thought it was an interesting topic, and I have what might be a somewhat unique perspective.

The VTR1000 I'm picking up on October 8th will be my fourth bike, and I'm 26 years old. I've never known my father, and fell in love with motorcycles all on my own. Not having any guiding influence I started doing research and quickly found lots of scary pictures and videos of squids not wearing gear and starting out on hyper-powered bikes. I choose a 200cc honda for a first bike and didn't ride it on the street until I'd taken an MSF course and had gotten protective gear.

From there I went on to a EX500, then a CBR600, and now I'll be riding a Superhawk. I've had a couple of low speed spills that taught me a hell of a lot, and I did really well in my MSF course. I prepared myself as much as I possibly could and the state of awareness I achieve while riding is pretty serious. Even with all that preparation, though, I managed to dump my bike a couple times. However, going about things in a level headed way, always wearing my gear, and not goofing around on the bike, I've come through just fine. And that's without the benefit of a father teaching me how to ride from a young age on dirt.

So my 2 cents is that your boy is going to do just fine, so long as he listens and takes it seriously enough.