Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Inflation deflation

Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Inflation deflation

Spent some time fabing a housing for an older 12V air pump that I removed from it's case. The idea was to make it more compact for carry on the bike. Got it done, realized that I hadn't tested the hose. Clamped it on, and surprise, it leaks.
Have a smaller 12V air pump that I have been carrying in my truck. Removed the pump from the housing. Much more compact. So now I get to make another housing.
Here is the first one.
Inflation deflation-img_0336.jpg
xeris is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 06:57 PM
  #2  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Do you get a lot of flats where you live? I know there are Co2 canisters that are sold, which are small and fill the a tire quite fast.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
Do you get a lot of flats where you live? I know there are Co2 canisters that are sold, which are small and fill the a tire quite fast.
So far I have not had a flat. Currently I'm carrying CO2 and puncture repair kit. The pump setup will be for a trip I'm planning for next summer. Trying to cover my bases when very far from home.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM
  #4  
Thread Killer
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 1,607
VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Step off Crux. Xeris just has a bad case of OCMD. He's even making up stories about "trips" to justify his compulsion.
VTR1000F is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Fyi, it takes more co2 cartridges than you can carry on a bike to fill the tire. I used to do it that way.

Don't forget the plug kit and razor knife too.
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F View Post
Step off Crux. Xeris just has a bad case of OCMD. He's even making up stories about "trips" to justify his compulsion.
Backoff VTR, I hate when someone gets inside my head.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
Fyi, it takes more co2 cartridges than you can carry on a bike to fill the tire. I used to do it that way.

Don't forget the plug kit and razor knife too.
I did not know that.
I figure with some planning I can pack 50 or so all over the bike. If I remove the coolant overflow I could put a case between the cylinders. Would that do it? It's OK if they get really hot. right?
xeris is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:39 PM
  #8  
Thread Killer
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 1,607
VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
The hotter they are, the fewer it takes.
VTR1000F is offline  
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 PM
  #9  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris View Post
I did not know that.
I figure with some planning I can pack 50 or so all over the bike. If I remove the coolant overflow I could put a case between the cylinders. Would that do it? It's OK if they get really hot. right?
I think Smomin' might be thinking of the small BB gun Co2 cartridges, like what is used with mountain bikes. You can get larger paint ball gun sized cartridges, where just one will fill a motorcycle tire. Let me see if I can find something....here, I believe this is what I'm talking about
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XG0FN8TXH6WM20

It is still lighter, smaller and faster to inflate than your compressor.

One thing I have found with small air compressors, like you have pictured, is they sometimes cannot even provide 30psi. And if they get anywhere near that, it takes an hour or more, draining your battery in the process.

If you believe your compressor will work for this application, release the pressure from one of your tires and try to fill it before your trip. You might be suprised.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 06:30 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
I think Smomin' might be thinking of the small BB gun Co2 cartridges, like what is used with mountain bikes. You can get larger paint ball gun sized cartridges, where just one will fill a motorcycle tire. Let me see if I can find something....here, I believe this is what I'm talking about
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XG0FN8TXH6WM20

It is still lighter, smaller and faster to inflate than your compressor.

One thing I have found with small air compressors, like you have pictured, is they sometimes cannot even provide 30psi. And if they get anywhere near that, it takes an hour or more, draining your battery in the process.

If you believe your compressor will work for this application, release the pressure from one of your tires and try to fill it before your trip. You might be suprised.
Good advice. My plan for today was to test both the air pump and the CO2 setup that I have.
I don't like surprises.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 06:30 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have one that is the innards of a regular compressor, but sadly I cant find it in my garage.

Had a flat last week so keep this little slime compressor with me daily. Fits under the seat. Plugs into the outlet on my dash or in my topcase.

Oh and yes crux I was thinking of the small co2.

I've been stranded by flats more than 12 times and had the dynaplug with me. It simply didn't do the job due to how tiny the plug is and that for a real hole you need several next to each other.

In many different weather conditions it simply will not seal the tire. (the next plug pushes the previous out).

I am going to look for the bigger co2. Any recommendations?

The compressor has worked on many varied strandings.
Attached Thumbnails Inflation deflation-dsc08700.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 11-11-2016 at 06:36 AM.
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 06:42 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
I have one that is the innards of a regular compressor, but sadly I cant find it in my garage.

Had a flat last week so keep this little slime compressor with me daily. Fits under the seat. Plugs into the outlet on my dash or in my topcase.
Tiny that thing is (see what I did there). The smaller pump I disassembled was a slime, but not that one. Without the plastic housing it is similar in size. Also have swapped the power cord with one I made that connects to my charging plug.
I will post the results of the test. You have me concerned the the CO2 cartridges, even multiples, will fill the tire enough.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 06:53 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I bought 2 dozen 16g co2 cartridges and 2 inflation housings when I first thought they could save me. Imagine the fun of being roadside at 4am on the Manhattan bridge watching the co2 empty and the tire still 90% flat.

That's why I started carrying the compressor. Its not super fast, but it works. I would let the bike idle while using it though. You don't want to kill your battery.
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 11:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
OK found the bare bones one I made years ago from a good quality compressor. This one saved me a few times in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Thumbnails Inflation deflation-dsc08702.jpg  
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 PM
  #15  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,173
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
Fyi, it takes more co2 cartridges than you can carry on a bike to fill the tire. I used to do it that way.
I have tested and used Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite CO2 inflator and three 20 gram cartridges to inflate a rear tire to high 20s ( 3 ea 20 gram got me to 27 psi last time used)
The issue becomes if you have a leak and have to attempt a second repair or get a second flat before resupply.. do you have another 3 cartridges ..I solved that by carrying 6 total on hand. Replacements can be had at any REI store, many other places as well. I keep extras at the house, and or send some to a pre staged location on long trips. For me, the inflator head and 6 20 gram cartridges is more convenient and useful than a pump would be... I can distribute and store the pieces in small otherwise unseeable/unsuitable locations for normal storage...

CO2 is temp sensitive, so perhaps they will not work in very cold environments, not sure only tested down to 60 deg. And if you had a tire with a lot more volume than the VTR stock sized rear it may not be worth it.
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 07:02 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez View Post
I have tested and used Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite CO2 inflator and three 20 gram cartridges to inflate a rear tire to high 20s ( 3 ea 20 gram got me to 27 psi last time used)
The issue becomes if you have a leak and have to attempt a second repair or get a second flat before resupply.. do you have another 3 cartridges ..I solved that by carrying 6 total on hand. Replacements can be had at any REI store, many other places as well. I keep extras at the house, and or send some to a pre staged location on long trips. For me, the inflator head and 6 20 gram cartridges is more convenient and useful than a pump would be... I can distribute and store the pieces in small otherwise unseeable/unsuitable locations for normal storage...

CO2 is temp sensitive, so perhaps they will not work in very cold environments, not sure only tested down to 60 deg. And if you had a tire with a lot more volume than the VTR stock sized rear it may not be worth it.
That inflator looks to be the way to go or something like this CO2 Inflators | ProBikeTool
I like that this one threads on the the valve stem. Wet, cold, dark, tired, on the side of a busy road, I need no help in making errors.
Thanks for your input. The results I achieved were about half what you had. Had a couple of 16 gram cartridges that I tested. First one I accidentally vented some gas. Starting from 0 psi in the tire, only gave 2 psi. The second starting from zero again, gave 4psi.
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
OK found the bare bones one I made years ago from a good quality compressor. This one saved me a few times in the middle of nowhere.
Looks to be the same one That I stripped of it's housing.
Inflation deflation-img_0338.jpg
3 1/2 min and 22psi. Did not check battery voltage before, but after it was 12.85V. In a real situation I would have had the motor running.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 08:41 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yes Erik the other issue I face is that I ride in cold weather a lot so co2 is muted.

Recently and for the winter I will carry a plug kit and compressor full time
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
  #18  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
That little tiny pump got your front tire to 22psi? That is enough to at least get you to a gas station to fill it the rest of the way. Impressive little pump.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:53 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,453
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
That little tiny pump got your front tire to 22psi? That is enough to at least get you to a gas station to fill it the rest of the way. Impressive little pump.
Rear tire.
xeris is offline  
Old 11-12-2016, 11:42 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,898
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Smaller compressors have tiny pistons and there for can usually go to like 200psi. Each pump is small but therefore a huge mechanical advantage. Like first gear on a bike.
smokinjoe73 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.