Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Help me... please.. OT.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Help me... please.. OT.

Off topic for this forum.. but I want some info and needed a reliable source.. Couldnt come up with one, so I came here...

Ok, I'm looking at a boat on ebay. Listed at fair market price, good shape... no cues to a fraudulent listing.. except that he is offering free shipping. Ok, I can get by that... maybe.. I have seen fraudulent listings that have been like this.. but not for "fair market value" on a vehicle. My question is this: Seller claims that he wants to handle this sale through ebay, and they will hold payment until I receive the boat. I will have 3 days to inspect boat, also. Is this possible? Anyone have experience buying vehicles from ebay? I thought I'd have to pick it up, not have it shipped.. seems like that would be cost prohibitive.
I am thinking of using credit card to purchase (then pay off, of course) this way if it doesnt happen, I can dispute the charge.. thereby protecting myself with another layer...

Feedback please...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Need a link..pm me with it..
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my last car off of ebay. The sellers (sold cars that were lease returns) were located in San Antonio, the car was liscensed in CA, but the car was located in Seattle. Everything was legit though. They even gave me money back for some features that were listed that were not actually part of the car. Car was also at fair market value. Just saying that some odd situations could still be legitimate.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Squid

Steve30v is on a distinguished road
I recently bought my bike off of E-bay...sight unseen. It ended-up being a great deal.

Once I won the bid, I did not pay any deposit or purchase money, but instead told the seller I'd pick-up the bike in a few days and pay cash at that time. That bought me some time to run the VIN through DMV, get insurance and get the purchase money.

When I went to the seller's house to pick up the bike I did thorough inspection. I found several items that were not adequately described in the auction (e.g. worn tires, wiring issues, fork leak, brakes). After discussing these with the seller I made a lower counter-offer that was accepted.

The downside to this system is that there is traveling involved. For me, it was 75 minute trip, so it was no big deal.

The upside is that if the deal is square you get what you bargained for. If the deal isn't so square, you know where the seller lives, you meet the seller, and you get a chance to quash the deal if the vehicle is not what was advertised.

The worse thing that can happen is that you get a "negative" feedback from the seller, but my response would be that the vehicle wasn't "as described."

I hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hmmm. Where is the boat located? It's not a jet-ski is it? There is a fraud alert on E-bay for jet-ski's advertised as free shipping.

I've sold both a motorcycle and a Jeep on e-bay and everything went fine, but I'd be very skeptical on the shipping. Depending on the size of boat and location, it could easily cost more to ship than to purchase.

If everything else is good, DO NOT pay anything until you receive the boat. Use an escrow account for the security of both buyer and seller.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
maybe get the VIN or Hull ID number I believe for boats and run it through the DMV or some other source like the police dept to make sure its not stolen. A friend won a car on ebay and when he went to get it it was far worse than described and pictured and he refused to buy it.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

See PM...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I bought my current superhawk off ebay. Against all my better judgment yes I bought it sight unseen. I did make an agreement over the phone though to meet halfway (about a two hour drive) and pay cash. He said it was perfect, which left no room for interpretation. I told him if it was anything but he'd turn right back around and take it back home and he agreed. Turned out to be a sweet bike BUT I still wouldn't really recommend buying things without getting to see them first. There are certain times where I'd feel okay depending on the seller. Usually if you talk to someone over the phone you can tell if they're full of **** or not. Make sure that you don't get stuck with your credit card company. Are you paying thru ebay with the credit card or are you paying the merchant directly? If it's thru ebay (meaning it shows up on your bill as "ebay") you'll get screwed because they'll tell you your dispute is with ebay. If you're paying the seller directly (shows up on your bill as "billy bobs used boats") you have a better chance of disputing it if something goes wrong. I'm pretty paranoid about my perfect feedback on ebay too but if it's not to your liking and you tell him to **** off who cares about the feedback...If you say you're getting three days to inspect it I'm assuming that means upon delivery they'll take it back if you're not satisfied before you pay for it?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Damn dude, did you pull the trigger, the listing is gone now...hmmm?
New toy? hmmmm?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Yeah Pulled trigger... Turned out as a fraudulent deal... I was just catious enough though. All they have is my email address. Here's the details:

-I got an email from "seller" saying ok to my price. (he NEVER asked for my ebay ID... how the hell does he know who I am?)-I sent one back saying ok, let's get it done.
-Got one back from "seller" saying he had contacted ebay about the deal, and they would be contacting me back with payment details. Here's where it went from *sniff-snif-what's that smell?* to to full on fishy smelling. (still nothing to ask for ebay ID)
-I then got the emails from "ebay customer spport" (not!) and they were from the International Trading division.. .. "seller" is from St Augustine, Fl.. and Boat located in Miami.... Last time I checked those were both INSIDE the U.S. So I ask myself "Why International?"
-I forwarded the emails to spoof@ebay.com
-they sent me confirmation that they were fraudulent emails

SO in answer to KC.. no new toy.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Such is life man, such is life....