Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Favor for a friend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Favor for a friend?

Been riding with him for twenty years, because of money he had to stop riding. That made his wife greatly happy, the worry wench. Then he lost his house and had to find a rental. Much smaller.

But the money worm turned and now he has purchased an Aprilia. '04 RSV. Sweet unit. Makes wonderful noises and throbs delightfully.

Wants to keep it in my garage (space is not a problem), away from the eyes of wifey. With the key in it and permission for me to flog, er, ride it when I want.

Do I do this favor for a friend? It feels just as if the stone fox at work has come on to me and no one would have to know. Pleasure and forbidden. I didn't make any promises to his wife, I don't even know if he did. But I sure would like to have access to a stone gorgeous bike like that. Do I do it?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd ask myself "What could possibly go wrong with the idea of having my buddy's primo bike at my disposal and no out of pocket expenses?" Maybe a friendly lawsuit between buddies when the unexpected happens and then everybody points fingers.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but I vote yes. How do you explain it to your wife so as not to alert your buddy's wife?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
ummm.... wellll.... thats a tough one

Id do it but at the same time I would beg him to tell his wife.. if/when she finds out it could turn ugly for him.. they always find out about the stone fox some way or another.

even if it turns into a white lie that you and him purchased it with combined money and it was a steal of a price.

or depending on how close you two are have him pay the bills on the machine but put the title in your name... not sure how that would work out but just throwin ideas out there.

to be honest I wouldnt pass up an opportunity to have an RSV in my garage at my disposal and I will always do favors for my friends but thats a crap shoot...

just make sure that his eyes arent blinded by the pretty colors and wonderful sounds and understands the repurcussions of if/when the wifey finds out
Old 06-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
if you decide to do it, just make sure you have a good explanation/defense prepared in advance to use with your bud's wife (and yours too, if applicable) because eventually she WILL find out. They always do...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ninjagoalie
if you decide to do it, just make sure you have a good explanation/defense prepared in advance to use with your bud's wife (and yours too, if applicable) because eventually she WILL find out. They always do...
"But -friend's wife-, he said it was a surprise for you, I just had to hold onto it for a few years to break it in..."

Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'd do it. I'm keeping my friends quad in my garage w/ permission to flog @ will and I do regularly. He isn't keeping it from his wife though. Even if he was, my loyalty lies w/ him not her. Not that I don't like her, it's just that IF they would split, who would you continue friendship w/?

You need to help keep him on 2 wheels.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I'm sure you can find another Forum member who could accommodate.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I'd tell him no. Be forewarned, if has has such little respect for his wife, he may have the same amount of respect for your friendship.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
I like his plan but beware of the fun governor , they see everything.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
there is absolutely NO dilemma here that i can see. an Aprilia RSV with keys in your garage trumps friend's somewhat questionable ethics, wife of friend, your dog, cat, etc., and park your car on the street if it comes down to that bike and your red Ferrari.
actually, i'm wrong. don't do it. send him to me. i'll make room in my garage.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Myself having two true superbikes(RC51s), and ride with six close true friends/ that at any time I would give them the keys- To as you say Flog away.. And the opportunity is open for the same of their bikes..
As a friend -we all have the saying, "If you can afford the repairs, you are more than welcome to ride(flog, etc.) my bike...
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
tell your friend to grow some ***** so he can stand up for himself instead of sneakin around like a weasel.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
tell your friend to grow some ***** so he can stand up for himself instead of sneakin around like a weasel.
+1!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
I'd tell him no. Be forewarned, if has has such little respect for his wife, he may have the same amount of respect for your friendship.
Indeed, this is good advice!

Liability would have me say no. If it was a dirtbike, no problem. Plastics are cheap to replace, even a motor is relatively cheap. Sounds like this is more than just a toy to him, it would be hard to meet expectations should something go wrong. Of course, only you know your relationship with him so this is only my 2 cents.