Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Ever run from the cops on your hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Ever run from the cops on your hawk?

You know everyone talks about it. . And i know you have! Lets hear it. (things seem slow around here)

Last edited by Condor; 04-19-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Both times they came after me they were on two wheels so I didn't even try it. Great idea for a topic.....should be some funny stories out there.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Haven't run on the hawk, but I have on my old Interceptor. Does that count?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Yes. any mode of 2 wheel evasion.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Squid

Smileyhawk is on a distinguished road
Not run, yet, but did pass a speeding ticket to a car. Was on the freeway in an area with a paved median and no dividers or islands. I was passed by a honda civic doing about 95 in a 65, so I tucked in behind him. A short while later, we pass a higway patrol who was driving in the opposite direction. the civic slows, so I slow and put a little more room between he and I. About two miles later there's red & blue lights in the mirror. HP passes me and nails the civic, I ride past. Not a great-guns, high-speed chase, but I felt really good at the time.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Not actually ever run... if I get lights & siren I pull over...

but... last summer I was riding with 3 other guys on a nice, long piece of hill country road. One guy flew by me & checked out; doing well over the ton. The rest of us were running probably 20 or so over when a cop came flying by in the opposite direction. No lights or anything, but you could tell he/she was hustling.... probably looking for a place to turn around & go after the flier. I didn't see them anymore after we went around the curve tho', so i don't know if they came after us.
Still, I figured they might settle for us instead, so I punched it until I came to a dirt road I knew about up ahead. Then i saw a little rough cut 4 wheel trail down thru the woods, so I took that. Almost bounced my *** off the bike. The trail forked a few times til I came to a dead-end after a quarter mile. I noticed my buddies didn't follow me down the trail. Seemed like a good time & place to take a leak, too.

Got on the cellphone & called the guys. We met back up at the trail head & hung out for 10 minutes or so. Never heard a siren.. so we continued on. I guess it was more evading than running. (Well, really more of a bathroom break than evading. Ha!)

When we met up with the other rider he said the cop eventually showed up at the end of the road. He said he was kind of trying to stay out of sight at the gas station. The cop apparently followed him 10 miles into the adjacent county! Anyway, the officer never saw him & we never saw the officer, except for when we first went by him, so all was good.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 01-30-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

j_frank is on a distinguished road
I'll admit it, I did it once. I got on the tollway and in the lane next to me was a riced out eclipse turbo. It started out as a race down the on ramp and escalated into a full on run down the tollway. About 1.5 miles into this act of stupidity (I was at least 10 cars ahead) I spotted johnny law in the median and started to back off...it was too late, lucky for me when he rolled out of the median the idiot in the eclipse didn't spot him and he continued at our break neck pace. A second squad car entered the chase and I let it all out.
I skipped the first exit ramp and jumped off at the next (about 2 miles further)
ran a red light and took side roads all the way home (20 miles). The cops obviously never got my plate # or I'm sure it would have ended poorly.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Years ago was riding my VF750F in #2 lane of freeway and got cut off by a guy in a BMW. Pretty close, like an intentional FU for why I don't know. I ripped up to the guy (this is something I NEVER do anymore) cut him off just as close while leaning over and giving him the finger. Just then I saw the lights come on and the CHP car coming up.

He looked to be back 75 yards or so, I figured he couldn't read my plate, I already had a couple of tickets on my record so I ran up to about 130 mph as quick as I could, went around a bend and down an exit. Ran down a surface street, ran a few redlights and into the parking structure of a mall. Walked around the mall for half an hour and went back to my bike. No cops, no problem, it was over.

Probably a lot more exciting for me than the Chippie, who probably said the hell with it when he came around the bend in the freeway and couldn't see me.

I don't know that I'll ever do it again, but I've got two rules if I did-- 1) Got to be on a bike without a plate or be sure it hasn't been read. 2) Got to break contact like right now- before the posse- esp. a helo- can show up.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
RK1
MotoGP

"I have, and I am the cops."

Condor, You aren't gonna start this thread and watch it run without an account of your personal escapades are you?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
This past November I was riding with 3 other guys (2 hawks). We had ridden an hour of straight roads and were about 2 miles into the first good road where we open it up and met a cop in a turn. One of the guys on a GSXR had taken off from the group going ***** to the wall and was going about 90 while the rest of us were cruising about 70. He stayed on the road and went flat out about 15 miles to the end. The 3 of us took the infamous 1st Right onto a dirt road and made a right onto a trail (offroading baby!) and then another right onto another trail. Supposedly cops are trained that when someone runs they always make the first right. We made 3 haha. We hung out for about a half hour and then continued on the ride and met up with the GSXR at the end where he was waiting behind a gas station. He took a vantage point on hill and saw the cop a couple minutes after he got to the end.

As far as legitmitaley running goes, I think I'll be the "good" guy that stops and take my chances with the angry copper. Unless there is no way the cop could pick me out and has no chance of gettin me.

Oh and if you do run, don't use turn signals when you dip out on a side street.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
L8RGYZ- haha, I was in the middle of writing my story but got delayed by a call, so I just finished it and posted and I saw your account of the same story. Good times...
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
To start off, I am currently on probation, so is my dad, and my friend Kevin

My dad, Kevin, and I are leaving a local motorcycle shop. Kevin and I immediately pulled stand-ups wheelies and are riding them out with my dad following. We get up to about 80 mph (speed limit = 35 mph). Sure enough, a Dodge Charger cop is going the other direction and lights click on. Kevin and I set the bikes down and take off. My dad pulls off to the side and hides out (Cop had his eyes on the Busa and Hawk ). Kevin and I, I hate to say it, blow through 3 stop lights at about 150 mph....then quickly pull into a deserted motel parking lot up on a hill, park the bikes out of sight and walk to the edge off the hill (all of our motorcycle gear taken off) and sure enough the cop comes barreling down the road lights and siren screaming and Kevin and I almost fall on the ground laughing. About 5 minutes later...he comes driving back up the road real slowly looking around.

I've run a couple other times, but they weren't anything like this runaway!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
RK1
MotoGP

This is about a 180 degree variation on the theme but I got kick out of it.

About three weeks ago I'm going cross town on a big surface street/ boulevard. Lots of red lights, I'm getting impatient. Light goes yellow up ahead, pretty far up ahead, but I'm doing about 50mph in third.

I figure I can make it if I pin it, so I do. I get within maybe 60 yards of the intersection, I'm probably going 70-75 and DOH! The first car waiting for the light to change is a LAPD black and white.

Maybe I can make the light, but that means going past these guys noses at 85 or 90, with other people in their cars ready to give the cops those WTF looks.

So I get on the brakes as hard as I dare, rear end all light and squirmy. I can't stop in time. If I stay on the brakes I'll stop 2/3 of the way through the intersection. I go through, at like 3 mph, light already red, with 2 cops and maybe 12 other people staring at me.

I pull over to the curb to await my ticket. I don't want to turn around and look at the cop, but I can see him in my mirror. He's smiling and shaking his head. They just drove away and left me there.

Maybe it was my guardian angel, maybe they were appreciative that I actually pulled over. Maybe they were just late for lunch. I felt pretty lucky.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I'm WAY more hard core than you guys! I download some mp3's and a few movies.... BEAT THAT.

KG

P.S.
RK1, dude, where do you live bro? I'm in L.A. If you're nearby we should go for a ride some time. Offer goes out to all Angeleno's.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KindredGhost
I'm WAY more hard core than you guys! I download some mp3's and a few movies.... BEAT THAT.
LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
This is about a 180 degree variation on the theme but I got kick out of it.

About three weeks ago I'm going cross town on a big surface street/ boulevard. Lots of red lights, I'm getting impatient. Light goes yellow up ahead, pretty far up ahead, but I'm doing about 50mph in third.

I figure I can make it if I pin it, so I do. I get within maybe 60 yards of the intersection, I'm probably going 70-75 and DOH! The first car waiting for the light to change is a LAPD black and white.

Maybe I can make the light, but that means going past these guys noses at 85 or 90, with other people in their cars ready to give the cops those WTF looks.

So I get on the brakes as hard as I dare, rear end all light and squirmy. I can't stop in time. If I stay on the brakes I'll stop 2/3 of the way through the intersection. I go through, at like 3 mph, light already red, with 2 cops and maybe 12 other people staring at me.

I pull over to the curb to await my ticket. I don't want to turn around and look at the cop, but I can see him in my mirror. He's smiling and shaking his head. They just drove away and left me there.

Maybe it was my guardian angel, maybe they were appreciative that I actually pulled over. Maybe they were just late for lunch. I felt pretty lucky.
I'd say it was a bit of both... He could probably figure out the sequence of events... And with you obviously trying to stop, and then waiting nicely for a ticket he figured you scrared yourself good enough, and gave him a laugh in the process...

I actually done about the same thing, only the police car was the first in line in the crossing road to the right... I also stopped, dead certain I was going to get a ticket, and with the conditions I didn't feel at all like running... He just pulled up along me with the window down and asked me something along the lines of "that was stupid don't ya think?" told me not to do that again, and peeled of...

I also have met a nice motorcykle cop... He snuck up behind me with no lights on as I was doing a bit over the speedlimit, not that much... I saw him after a while and got of the throttle and turned in to the side, knowing I was going to get it... (and running isn't an option there...)

He pulled up, laughing at me, saying he actually hadn't planned on stopping me... Apparently I had been a good boy, doing lanechanges and such with signals, not being to agressive... He had just been curious about my blinking brake light (I built a module myself, after seeing such ones in the US, not really used here) I wasn't sure if it was legal or not (legal gray area, especially since it's "homemade") But after a little discussion, I had explanined about it and that I had built a few ones for friends, he asked me what I'd sell it for... So I ended up unplugging it and selling it to him right there... Sometimes reallity beats fiction...
Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Not on 2 wheels yet but a lot of times on four..............
Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Any coppers here ever chase a bike? Lets hear those stories.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
"I have, and I am the cops."

Condor, You aren't gonna start this thread and watch it run without an account of your personal escapades are you?
No, I dont run. I was just goading you all into telling me. Just curious.

Last edited by Condor; 04-19-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Originally Posted by alive226
Any coppers here ever chase a bike? Lets hear those stories.
I have chased 2 bikes. One was an agency assist for a home invasion that had taken place and the guy stole an older Ninja, I think it was , and took off. Sherifs Office from a few counties up chased him to us, and asked us for assistance. I almost hit him head on at a 90 degree turn in the road and when he made it in between that little gap between my crown vic and the shoulder, he was GONE. I let S.O. resume lead and he blew up his engine, as this guy got on 441 (straight away for MILES) and proceeded to DROP THE HAMMER. The lead car's engine ended up blowing up and throwing coolant/oil all over our windshields, so that chase was called off. The second bike was a 954, and I know who the guy is, so i just went to his house after a couple hours and snagged him up. He runs dope on his bike and he can ride. Another officer tried to stop him in an apartment complex and he took off. when he started taking turns sideways and weaving in and out of traffic, we called the chase off because he caused a wreck and we were told to 10-39 (stop chase, resume normal operation)

I don't really chase bikes. Sometimes if im bored ill stop a sport bike to see if they stop, but usually they stop. I even pulled over a guy that told me "I dont have a motorcycle license, and i don't have insurance" and i said well, ****...thanks for stopping at least, get someone up here with a truck or trailer and get gone. Since my job is not to work traffic, I don't really get to pull a lot of people over. But every now and then we have dopers run from us on bikes, or agency assists for 10-80's. We cannot deploy spike strips on motorcycles, and we can't really "ram" them or make contact w/ them, so....
I would just say be familiar with the chase policies of your local LEOs. Some places it is a felony TO run, and I wouldnt do it there, that's too much of a risk for me. THe hawk doesnt top out too much more than most cop cars, so that kinda sucks.

Last edited by Condor; 01-31-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

I will say that chasing cars and chasing people on foot is way more exciting. If you chase a guy on a bike, and he half *** knows what he's doing, it shouldnt be much of a chase.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
Never ran from a cop, but then again never had a chance. I would prob pull over and let my Vetrans statis do the talking and hope to get out of a ticket. Works in my car but never pulled over on a bike.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
wow.. I dont know what to say to that..

On one hand: I dont like when people run from the police. If you do something wrong.. MAN UP and take your punishment... I've been caught weaving in traffic and also speeding on the bike. Both times I was let off with a warning cause I stopped and was joking around and not mad cause the officer pulled me.. I knew I was doing wrong, and I told him.. and he was cool about it.

On the other hand: I REALLY hated to hear the Condor was a police officer and ran. BAD example to set... then to post the story on the web.. more bad judgment on his part...

I consider myself a pretty cool guy.. and so do my buddies.. but I am also a Dad. I dont want my kids doing this stuff.. running from the cops. It'll be bad enough when the decide to speed.. let alone trying to elude. That's when you push too hard and **** up and get dead.. or kill someone else. I'm also concerned that they and my wife will be on the road and be those killed by something like this..

To ME running from the cops is a pretty squidly thing to do.. I thought this forum was above that type of thing.. I expect this to be a short thread.

Before you ask... YES, I've gotten stupid on my bike... I am one for pulling a wheel up and riding it out. I love watching stunting, and think it's a talent.. I also have pushed the 'hawk above 150 more than once... BUT, I never endanger other motorists or passengers.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

I aint tryin to be an "old man".. but damn.. cmon.. A COP posting that he ran from the cops on his bike.. what kind of message is THAT sending..
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Like i said, its stupid to run. I would never do it.

Last edited by Condor; 04-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

yeah.. you know what.. you're right. Everyone makes bad choices.. we're all human... I shouldnt have been judgmental.

In my job I see substandard work everyday.. I am tempted to put in jobs quickly to get done, get out, and get paid... I have to stop myself sometimes from doing it... I hold myself to a higher standard.. not that I keep to it ALL the time.. I just try to.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Don't worry, its ok.

Last edited by Condor; 04-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Passed a moving SCHP doing 71 in a 55 going the opposite direction. He had to go about a 1/4 mile to turn around at a median to pursue. So I rolled on the throttle to 135 for about 10 miles. Came into a 45mph zone and slowed down to about 90, what felt like a walking speed after running 135. Well he made up his time on me there. Pulled me over just before my exit and asked "Where's the fire?" My response was to play dumb. "What fire?" HP: "Where are you going so fast?" Me: "Nowhere." HP: "So, your going nowhere fast." "License and registration please." I inform him that I am wearing a one piece riding suit and my wallet is in my back pocket and I do not have a gun or anything. HP: [Hand on pistol in holster.] "Move slowly or I will shoot you." I gave him papers and waited. He comes back and asks again, "Where are you going?" I said "Myrtle Beach." HP: "I should just lock you up now and save the MB Police the trouble your gonna cause this weekend(Spring Break). I had to run 140 just to keep pace with you back there. How fast were you going?" Me: "Well what does it indicate on your radar?" HP: "71." Me: "Well I guess I was doing 71, I don't know, I wasn't looking at my speedometer." HP: "Here is your ticket, have a safe weekend."
In my youth I taunted several city cops on my various dirtbikes. I don't recommend anyone running from the law. I was young and dumb in all cases.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Cleveland and Condor. I did it once many years ago and my ex let me have it when I came running through the house throwing off my gear went out to the back yard where she was standing and she asked why is that helicoper orbiting the neighborhood and I had to confess he was looking for me! I didn't ride my 83 CX650Turbo for 6 months after that!!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

DENY EVERYTHING AND DEMAND PROOF.

Quick Reply: Ever run from the cops on your hawk?