Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Dept. of Energy

Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Dept. of Energy

Absolutely the funniest joke ever......ON US !!!
  • Let it sink in.
  • Quietly we go like sheep to slaughter.
Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY ..... during the Carter Administration?
  • Anybody?
  • Anything?
  • No?
  • Didn't think so!
Bottom line ... we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency ...the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember.
Ready???????
It was very simple.. and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate...

The 'Department of Energy' was instituted on

Aug. 04, 1977

TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh?????

AND NOW IT'S 2009, 32 YEARS LATER ... AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS

NECESSARY DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR

IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES

AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!

THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY

'WHAT WAS I THINKING?'

Ah, yes, good old bureaucracy...

And NOW _ we are going to turn the Banking System, Health Care & the Auto Industry over to government?

May God Help Us !!!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by k-d-williams
Absolutely the funniest joke ever......ON US !!!
  • Let it sink in.
  • Quietly we go like sheep to slaughter.
Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY ..... during the Carter Administration?
  • Anybody?
  • Anything?
  • No?
  • Didn't think so!
Bottom line ... we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency ...the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember.
Ready???????
It was very simple.. and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate...

The 'Department of Energy' was instituted on

Aug. 04, 1977

TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh?????

AND NOW IT'S 2009, 32 YEARS LATER ... AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS

NECESSARY DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR

IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES

AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!

THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY

'WHAT WAS I THINKING?'

Ah, yes, good old bureaucracy...

And NOW _ we are going to turn the Banking System, Health Care & the Auto Industry over to government?

May God Help Us !!!
Yep. Carter's Dept. of Energy is second in absurdity only to G.W. Bush's "Dept. of Homeland Security".

http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.asp

Joe Foss. WWII Guadalcanal USMC Fighter Ace, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, former governor of South Dakota, former President of the NRA, gets detained at the Phoenix airport for trying to board a plane with his CMH. The turd world shitbirds from the TSA didn't know what the medal was. Joe told them, "it's the Congressional Medal of Honor". The turd world **** birds didn't know what a "Congressional Medal of Honor" was.

Arfer several hours and numerous phone calls, Joe Foss, American Hero, was "allowed" to board a later flight by George "family values don't stop at the Rio Grande"'s Turd World TSA goons.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I am not saying i agree with the DOE's budget but here is the purpose today:

Oversee power production
routine inspection of power stations
qualification of operators
regulatory agency for regional ISO
Main reg agency for safety in operation

this may seem like a small list but think of it this way, the guy operating you local nuclear power station has a licence from the DOE. if the DOE was not here than he would just have to be qualified as far as his company saw fit and that standard would be much less than it is today (anyone remember 3mi island, chernobyl?). I am a power systems operator (HYDRO) and i am a former Nuclear operator (Navy submarine Nuclear plants) and let me tell you, some of the stuff i see out there i am glad that there is a reg agency to hold someone accountable. when you state it in the way you did it is easy to say "**** the DOE, shut em down!" but regardless of why we created it there is a purpose in todays world.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Yep. Carter's Dept. of Energy is second in absurdity only to G.W. Bush's "Dept. of Homeland Security".

http://www.snopes.com/military/medal.asp

Joe Foss. WWII Guadalcanal USMC Fighter Ace, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, former governor of South Dakota, former President of the NRA, gets detained at the Phoenix airport for trying to board a plane with his CMH. The turd world shitbirds from the TSA didn't know what the medal was. Joe told them, "it's the Congressional Medal of Honor". The turd world **** birds didn't know what a "Congressional Medal of Honor" was.

Arfer several hours and numerous phone calls, Joe Foss, American Hero, was "allowed" to board a later flight by George "family values don't stop at the Rio Grande"'s Turd World TSA goons.
The TSA is a far bigger waste of money than the DOE!!! what have they prevented that there predecessors could not?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by REDVTR1000
I am not saying i agree with the DOE's budget but here is the purpose today:

Oversee power production
routine inspection of power stations
qualification of operators
regulatory agency for regional ISO
Main reg agency for safety in operation

this may seem like a small list but think of it this way, the guy operating you local nuclear power station has a licence from the DOE. if the DOE was not here than he would just have to be qualified as far as his company saw fit and that standard would be much less than it is today (anyone remember 3mi island, chernobyl?). I am a power systems operator (HYDRO) and i am a former Nuclear operator (Navy submarine Nuclear plants) and let me tell you, some of the stuff i see out there i am glad that there is a reg agency to hold someone accountable. when you state it in the way you did it is easy to say "**** the DOE, shut em down!" but regardless of why we created it there is a purpose in todays world.
We had nuke plants, and the regulation of nuke plants, for decades before we had a DOE.

How many nuke plants have been built and placed online since the creation of DOE? ZERO! Not one!

Should be renamed the Department of No Energy!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1

How could i forget those idiot's, and i work at the airport! Duh
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
SuperBike

The TSA is a far bigger waste of money than the DOE!!! what have they prevented that there predecessors could not?

TSA stands for "take scissors away", thats about all they are good for!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
We had nuke plants, and the regulation of nuke plants, for decades before we had a DOE.

How many nuke plants have been built and placed online since the creation of DOE? ZERO! Not one!

Should be renamed the Department of No Energy!
The reason most new plant are not built is because operation is not up to DOE standards. Take away the political bull **** and you are left with the fact that we were operating fast and loose for a long time and now it is just becoming economically prudent to build more. you will see an inrush of nuclear power in the future. Trust me, i have been behind the console, you need the DOE.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
RK1
MotoGP

The reason most new plant are not built is because operation is not up to DOE standards. Take away the political bull **** and you are left with the fact that we were operating fast and loose for a long time and now it is just becoming economically prudent to build more. you will see an inrush of nuclear power in the future. Trust me, i have been behind the console, you need the DOE.
We need nuke plant oversight and regulation like we had with the science based Atomic Energy Commission and Nuclear Regulatory Commission, not the politically correct enviroweenie DOE.

The reason new nuke plants haven't been built has not a f**cking thing to do with safety, it has to do with NIMBY bulls**t and enviroweenie nuke hate at the DOE.

Last edited by RK1; 07-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
We need nuke plant oversight and regulation like we had with the science based Atomic Energy Commission and Nuclear Regulatory Commission, not the politically correct enviroweenie DOE.

The reason new nuke plants haven't been built has not a f**cking thing to do with safety, it has to do with NIMBY bulls**t and enviroweenie nuke hate at the DOE.
I didn"t know you were a Nuke operator! i must not know what i am talking about (6 years nulear, 3 years Hydro). FYI the atomic energy commission became the NRC and the NRC still exists as a division of the... wait for it... DOE! People are always looking for something to blame and you found the DOE. like i said I think they are a bit overfunded but it is by far not the biggest rip off we have going.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I didn"t know you were a Nuke operator! i must not know what i am talking about (6 years nulear, 3 years Hydro). FYI the atomic energy commission became the NRC and the NRC still exists as a division of the... wait for it... DOE! People are always looking for something to blame and you found the DOE. like i said I think they are a bit overfunded but it is by far not the biggest rip off we have going.
Nope. Not a nuke "operator" or expert. Just a guy with half a brain and some common sense. I know nukes are the most realistic answer to our energy "problem", a "problem" the DOE was ostensibly created to solve. You know, to break our dependence on "foreign oil" A dependence which has DOUBLED since the creation of DOE. In the three plus decades since the DOE was created, we haven't built a single f**king nuke plant, that's why it should be called the Department of NO New Energy!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Sounds like he had a good ribbing going until someone with some first-hand knowledge chimed in. Ouch!

Originally Posted by k-d-williams
TSA stands for "take scissors away", thats about all they are good for!

Question: How come every month on my electric bill I am charged a fee for "Nuclear Decommissioning"?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Sounds like he had a good ribbing going until someone with some first-hand knowledge chimed in. Ouch!

Question: How come every month on my electric bill I am charged a fee for "Nuclear Decommissioning"?
Take it up with redvtr1000. The DOE and others have decided to shut down San Onofre, in the hopes that sometime in the future, solar panels, windmills and skull cap beanie copters will make up for the power lost by killing the evil nuclear plant.

Shutting down San Onofre isn't "free", oh no. It requires billions of dollars to be appropriated and spent by the brothers, uncles, cousins and friends and contributors of folks who work for the DOE and the Congressmen and Senators who fund the DOE budget! Hope and Change!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Who needs nukes or energy independence while Obama is willing subjugate himself, bow deep enough to shine the shoes of the oil rich Saudi King?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Obamba was beating his chest over his stimulus bill and this solar field that saves "nearly $1M per year" and "costs $100M to build"

Yessir, you heard that right, the solar plant has a payback of 100 years, which is surely longer than it's useful life. Also note that the solar field was built prior to him being elected and was in no way a product of his stimulus plan.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/27/solar/