Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman

Oh wow, you couldn't pay me enough, these guys have some serious minerals.

Trust me, this is a worthy view, scared of heights or no. Personally I would rather have someone shooting at me again.....

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2010/09/15?ref=nf
Old 09-18-2010, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
F that, maybe with a parachute....
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
I am typically not afraid of heights... but just watching that made me feel dizzy.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
I'd do it... damn... forgot my #1 phillips. I think I'd be more concerned about the transmissions cooking my liver, the fall would be a no brainer... enjoy the ride!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Squid

rearview is on a distinguished road
More ***** than brains. Not afraid of heights, but no way.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Safer Than Riding 2 Wheels

Design, erecting & maintaining antenna towers & spires is definitely safer than riding 2 wheels, especially bicycles, based on my 30+ years of doing both.

In Chicago, I have been one of the highest paid engineers in the world, not highly paid (only elevation wise). Very few skyscrapers have surmounted Sears Tower (now "Big Willie") in height but it is still is the tallest building in the Americas in the category of highest occupied floor.

I spent literally months (if not years combined) hanging off Sears, Hancock, Prudential, AT&T and several free-standing & guy towers over the past 4 decades. I also inspect their curtain walls. Guy towers are the trickiest and most unsafe usually due to their age (many are 70+ years old) and because they are often AM tower; i.e., the tower itself is the antenna and must be isolated from ground (earth). BTW, when I hang-10 on the east Tower on Sears, I'm at 1764 AGL. If you take a whiz, your **** ends up in Indiana (which deserves it).

Attached are some photos I've taken from different vantage points in Chicago, which I usually don't bother to do because I really don't look around much while working anymore unless its an exceptionally nice day. Wind is always an issue but I work year round. In 1983 when we designed & put up the main towers on Sears, it was 40 degrees BELOW zero F WITHOUT windchill. On FM towers we work at night when they switch to their stand-by antennas so the don't cook us like in a microwave oven with 5 million watts. The Sky Crane helicopters had a hard time lifting off because each tower section is over 20,000 pounds. BTW, I once realized it was my B-day when I was on Hancock's roof one night, and when you are on the roof of AON Center (formally Amaco, sister building structurally to the now belated WTCs, which was a scary on 9-11), your about 45 feet above the roof of Hancock.
Attached Thumbnails Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman-chicago-2008-n-cr.jpg   Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman-att-2010-sw-nw-cr.jpg   Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman-sears-ne-2010-cr.jpg   Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman-att-2010-top-cr.jpg   Climbing a 1,700ft tower repairman-wrigley-field-07-02-10-cr.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 09-18-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
wow, **** that. i dont like getting off my ladder on to the roof of my garage to fix my dish, haha. although ive got a buddy whos a sky dive instructor and him and his friends climbs antennas and jump off them.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
it just seems like it would be safer to skydive down. That is all I am saying.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of blunt-force trauma!!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I always enjoyed those views(usually dark), from the back of the aircraft- Just were VERY brief views (some Bas@@rd always pushing there way thru, to fall out)
Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I did it for 7 years; we could build to 900' but regularly did antennas and maintenance on 2000'. It's a young man's sport...
Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Oh wow, you couldn't pay me enough, these guys have some serious minerals.

Trust me, this is a worthy view, scared of heights or no. Personally I would rather have someone shooting at me again.....

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2010/09/15?ref=nf
Agreed... Rather be ducking for cover than doing that climb...

And yeah, I'd much rather jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft as well... That doesn't scare me much...

But the idea of climbing one of those things to jump? Nuhu... No way... The jumping I don't mind, the climbing is not my thing...
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I did it for 7 years; we could build to 900' but regularly did antennas and maintenance on 2000'. It's a young man's sport...
I never made it above @300' as I did work mainly for wifi and we don't need the height for transmission. Still knew when I was out of practice when I would get to the top tired and hated the thought of not being at 100% while free climbing.

I've had a few scares with tower structures failing (one tower bent like an "S" while climbing), but the worst was every year when the yellow jacket wasp's would swarm towers to get the warmth. They were harmless but being alergic and at the top of a tower covered in them always freaked me out. I would chant in my head while climbing, "don't flinch, don't flinch" in case they stung me while sweeping them off the ladder.

It's a scary job but you do get a vantage point that few ever see. I remember being on the top of a tower on a 3000' ridge seeing a small plane flying lower than I was hanging.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I kept mumbling "oh, HELL no" and "f*#k me" as I was watching the video.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of blunt-force trauma!!
Just remember, if the shock of the fall doesn't kill you, the sudden stop at the end will.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
jeez, u kidding me....i have goosebumps and shivers in my hands...no way in hell would i do that...

one, and i mean ONE wrong move and you got about 30 seconds of swearing at yourself before the big long sleep...
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I worked as an electrician for 5 years in the late '70s. When we did residential service changes, we had to cut the live 220v service drop wires, strip back the insulation with a pocket knife and splice them onto the new service wires...all done on the roof. When I started that job, my boss told me, "Don't worry about the shock, the fall is what will kill you".

Two story pitched roofs freaked me out though. It's not so much the height, but the exposure. The service riser is always at the edge of the roof.

One time my boss plugged the meter in while I was still making the last splice... That was quite a jolt, and I was glad it was just a single story, even though I maintained my balance.

Then there was the time I was on the next to the top rung of a 28' extension ladder, installing a lighting fixture on the side of a concrete building with Santa Ana winds blowing. I don't know how I did that one. Even with my helper on the ground steadying the ladder.

As far as climbing a tower without an enclosure...too much exposure for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Came back for a second look at this video, My mind kept returning to the 1/2 bolts that were "BENT"- Yeah, the one at the top / that are sticking out of that piece of pipe( the bolts that would be supporting my fat ***, and that 30 pound bag ).
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
I generally don't mind heights but there is no way you could get me up there. I'm absolutely shocked that with todays standards its not mandatory for them to be tied off all the time.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I couldn't climb that without being tied in, and I wouldn't be able to do the way down. Jumping off the top with a chute would be way easier for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slabm7
I generally don't mind heights but there is no way you could get me up there. I'm absolutely shocked that with todays standards its not mandatory for them to be tied off all the time.
Clipping in and out gets your lanyard lines in the way and causes a lot more work and time. It actually wears you out a lot faster which creates mistakes. You do focus on keeping three points of contact at all times. I would have clipped in at the transition where you see him looking for hand holds. That part made me pucker up.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
My first time repelling, when I had to jump backwards off a cliff, the first time I had to step out onto the wing strut of a T-Craft to skydive, the first time I accidentlally wheelied sitting sidesaddle at the start of an AAMRR race(jumpstart race) at Summit Point we're some of the times i was scared shitless. If I had to climb into the clouds I can tell you that I would try not to look down haha, measure every movement, keep breathing to stay alert, focus intensely on what i was doing, and kiss the ground when I got back to earth, whether it be a hard or soft landing.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife would have no problem climbing one of those towers. She used to be a hard core rock climber. Trad climbing, not sport climbing...as she says, "sport climbing is neither".

As for me...my ***** were tingling just watching that video.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I'm not afraid of hieghts, I'm afraid of widths
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I'm not afraid of hieghts, I'm afraid of widths
so we can safely assume that you won't be jumping the canyon anytime soon huh?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
My wife would have no problem climbing one of those towers. She used to be a hard core rock climber. Trad climbing, not sport climbing...as she says, "sport climbing is neither".

As for me...my ***** were tingling just watching that video.
So, if your wife wants to get rid of you, all she has to do is climb a hill then. haha
Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaypo
Clipping in and out gets your lanyard lines in the way and causes a lot more work and time. It actually wears you out a lot faster which creates mistakes. You do focus on keeping three points of contact at all times. I would have clipped in at the transition where you see him looking for hand holds. That part made me pucker up.
+1