Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Buying an R6. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Buying an R6. Advice please.

I am looking at buying a 1999-2002 yamaha R6. I was hoping to get a little advice before buying one from some of the smarter members. There are a few with around 16000 miles that Im interested in. Is that kind of mileage bad. Im not familiar with the engine life of a tipical sport bike engine. Also what things should i look/ feel for when looking at these bikes?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think if you made the same post on an appropriate I4 forum you would return with more raw edges than information. That's between you and them.

There is a perfect cure to all the bullshit on the forums. Buy or download a factory manual.

If you're serious about your bike, what ever the make or the year, the factory manual is priceless.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
good bike, carbed so a big negative aspect there.

the 99-02 R6's had a huge issue with second gear...HUGE. i'd be very cautious about buying that gen R6 because of that. because the cost is usually around a grand and up to fix.

for a bit more money you can get yourself a bit newer bike with all the "goodies"

USD forks, Fuel Injection, etc etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
good bike, carbed so a big negative aspect there.

the 99-02 R6's had a huge issue with second gear...HUGE. i'd be very cautious about buying that gen R6 because of that. because the cost is usually around a grand and up to fix.

for a bit more money you can get yourself a bit newer bike with all the "goodies"

USD forks, Fuel Injection, etc etc.
Yeah I've been looking at I4s for a little while. The other two options that are in the same price range I've seen are 03 gixxer 6es and F4i's. Which are both great bikes Im sure, but man i love the way that first gen r6 looks. What kind of problem did they have with 2nd?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Back Marker

popping out of second....i dont think you can get much worse than that...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
+1 on a good service manual. They make all the difference.

Ironically, I just bought a '01 R6 trackbike. Other than the '03-'04 ZX6R, this model R6 is my favorite supersport. Love the way they look, and they are a little bit lighter than the later supersports. Since 600's are raced so competitively by the different brands, they are usually identical as far as technology. Just pick the one that looks best to you. However, if you don't have much experience with carb's you may want to pass on this model. Carb's are a little like suspension, there's a black art to getting them working well.

16k miles isn't a big deal for a 600 unless it's been neglected. Unfortunately unless you can do a compression test, you won't know for sure. Three things to look for is if the bike looks like it hasn't been taken care of (excessive chain goop everywhere, nastiness from riding in the rain, dull/rusty shiny bits), if the inside of the muffler has wet, oily residue (a motor burning oil will not have a dry, sooty muffler), and excessive valve noise (motor should not sound like a tap dancer). I think it's reasonable to get around 60k miles out of a well taken care of supersport engine. As fun as SS's are to ride fast, you'll probably crash it before you do 60k miles though lol.

Here's a good thread about buying a new bike:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115537

Good luck

Last edited by NooB; 08-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I've heard great things about the R6. A lot of Yamahas pop out of second, but I didn't know the R6 had that problem, too. WTF is wrong with Yamaha? Is second gear our cam chain?

On other bikes a shift kit cures this if you catch the problem before it becomes an issue. This was a retention spring on the FJ, but I have no idea what it would be on the R6.

Anyhow, I think I have a buyers guide in my stack of mags, PW. I'll see if I can remember to drag it up and scan it tomorrow night. Absolutely no promises, of course
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
If you've gotta have a 600 class super sport, why not save up your pennies and get one with some guts below 10,000 rpm? A four or five year old Triumph Daytona 675 weighs less than a Jap 600, makes as much peak power, has way more mid range grunt, sounds better and is one of the hottest looking sport bikes ever produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwaMzn9RudA
2002 yamaha stator- $211

2006 DAYTONA 675 stator- $443

I have worked on a few of the brits lately, and would not have anything to do with them. Others may be interested in them, but I just can't do it. Daytona 955i alternator is $900. Just make sure that what you buy is dependable and affordable.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Back Marker

its also one of the most uncomfortable bikes when it comes to ergonomics.

go with a GIXXXAAAH!!! I did, i bought an 08 gsxr 750...man what a machine!

Originally Posted by RK1
If you've gotta have a 600 class super sport, why not save up your pennies and get one with some guts below 10,000 rpm? A four or five year old Triumph Daytona 675 weighs less than a Jap 600, makes as much peak power, has way more mid range grunt, sounds better and is one of the hottest looking sport bikes ever produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwaMzn9RudA
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Superstock

yeah Im actually leaning toward the F4i. Its a little more comfortable and has FI. And about the daytona, I have a low end bike. For some reason im craving a bike that revs like an Indy car. The F4is go to 14.5k rpm i think. I could go everywhere in first gear
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
For some reason im craving a bike that revs like an Indy car. The F4is go to 14.5k rpm i think. I could go everywhere in first gear
LOL! I4's are almost like jet engines. It's a neat feeling to hear that motor spinnin like crazy and the rush of power that comes with it.

Just don't be a squid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUUt...ayer_embedded#!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
All the advice you need can be found here https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=10950
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Randman
All the advice you need can be found here https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=10950
There is no way im sifting through that thread. Anyway Ive decided to wait a year or two and get newer 1000. I road my friends 600rr and it just felt dead. It might be faster but it didnt feel that way. If im gonna drop the cash Im not gonna do it on a bike that feels slower than the one I've currently got. I always get these weird urges to look at bikes on Craigslist if I havent ridden the hawk for a few days. Then I ride it and those urges dissapear very quickly.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Superstock

yeah I think im just gonna save for a year or two and get a newer 1000.