Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Benefit BBQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Benefit BBQ

It's going to be a beautiful day on Sunday - nearly 70 and sunny. There is going to be a memorial BBQ for the family of a young rider we lost just before Thanksgiving. I did not know him but if you have no place to go this might be worth your consideration. It is on the South side of town so the bros from NB and SA would be within striking distance.

It will be held at Richard Moya Park - 10001 Burleson Road Austin 78719

1pm to 4pm - bring your appetite and your wallet. Riders on the North side will be meeting at Ducati Austin 812 East Braker Lane at 1100 and rolling out at noon for the BBQ.

Seems this young rider was in a group that went to a "bike night" function with a couple other buds. He was on a borrowed gixxer1k. On the way home he drifted out of the lane and washed the front end on the white line on the left side of the fast lane. It was cold and somewhat damp making the slip that much easier. This part of 183N is elevated and the N-S lanes are separated by 15' of air that is 30 feet up. He hit the left side on the concrete barrier and it chucked him over the edge to the roadbed below.

There will be food, music, raffles all benefiting his family.

Contact Jeramy Ferguson 512-963-9322 or jeramytruitt@yahoo.com for further info.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
It's going to be a beautiful day on Sunday - nearly 70 and sunny. There is going to be a memorial BBQ for the family of a young rider we lost just before Thanksgiving. I did not know him but if you have no place to go this might be worth your consideration. It is on the South side of town so the bros from NB and SA would be within striking distance.

It will be held at Richard Moya Park - 10001 Burleson Road Austin 78719

1pm to 4pm - bring your appetite and your wallet. Riders on the North side will be meeting at Ducati Austin 812 East Braker Lane at 1100 and rolling out at noon for the BBQ.

Seems this young rider was in a group that went to a "bike night" function with a couple other buds. He was on a borrowed gixxer1k. On the way home he drifted out of the lane and washed the front end on the white line on the left side of the fast lane. It was cold and somewhat damp making the slip that much easier. This part of 183N is elevated and the N-S lanes are separated by 15' of air that is 30 feet up. He hit the left side on the concrete barrier and it chucked him over the edge to the roadbed below.

There will be food, music, raffles all benefiting his family.

Contact Jeramy Ferguson 512-963-9322 or jeramytruitt@yahoo.com for further info.
Now that sucks...

Not sure if I can make it, but if I can, what time you pullin out? Been dealing with so much crap lately, it's freaking crazy...be nice to put the bucket on and zone out for a bit...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
70 and sunny---I'm jealous.Below zero wind chill here this morning.Just the same I hope they get a good turn out.Can't be there but did send prayers the family's way.I lost a Daughter and people showing that they cared helped us alot.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Prayers and condolences to the family. Has anyone set up an online donation through paypal or something similar? I would be interested in making one.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM
MotoGP

A bump and thanks, Rick! I have no info on any online donation but I will find out tomorrow. It's supposed to be 71F and sunny here so it's a worthy destination for the day. If others are interested we can meet here at the nursery starting at 1000 and cruise over to Ducati Austin to meet up with the others at 1100. The BBQ officially starts at 1300 so I guess these guys are going to do a little ride on the way south. I have never met any of these folks so it's going to be all new to me but it would be cool if any of you could join me. My cell is 512-736-2149
Old 12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Thanks nuhawk... Would be cool to go but i'm a little too far away - the 71 degrees sounds a lot better than the 27 it is now - no snow in 2 days at least, the bulk of it is south and east of Buffalo NY... The weather channel made it sound like we were buried in Buffalo.

Originally Posted by nuhawk
A bump and thanks, Rick! I have no info on any online donation but I will find out tomorrow. It's supposed to be 71F and sunny here so it's a worthy destination for the day. If others are interested we can meet here at the nursery starting at 1000 and cruise over to Ducati Austin to meet up with the others at 1100. The BBQ officially starts at 1300 so I guess these guys are going to do a little ride on the way south. I have never met any of these folks so it's going to be all new to me but it would be cool if any of you could join me. My cell is 512-736-2149
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Randman
Now that sucks...

Not sure if I can make it, but if I can, what time you pullin out? Been dealing with so much crap lately, it's freaking crazy...be nice to put the bucket on and zone out for a bit...
Coffee starts at 1000. I will text. You better get off yo ***!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I was there on time! Great day for a ride, any you sir had better go and play the lotto!! I get 10% for telling you to...LOL...

Good turn out, glad to see the support...

Found that vest at a local shop selling for $130...shocked am I...Me thinks it's gonna hit craigs list soon...LOL..I have No need for it...

Let me just say, Love the Sargent, worth every penny!!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
MotoGP

Whata Haul!

Randy ended up meeting up with the group at Ducati Austin. We bought some raffle tickets for later, said a prayer for the fallen and then we headed out to the crash site. All of us were provided with little white flowers and as the group approached the site everybody held up their flowers and let them go. The organizers filmed the whole thing. There were a lot of bikes. Lane splitting down south MoPac the group was a quarter mile long. They were shooting video from moving vehicles with us and vehicles stopped on the side of the road. The park where they had the BBQ was on the opposite side of town so it was a nice little ride.

Lots of Gixxers, few Ninjas, few Ducatis, fewer CBR's, a Superhawk, a Harley, and the KLR. Real diverse group too. Had some folks come down from Ft. Hood too. About six riders in that group.

When they stopped the music to do the first raffle, I won a Repsol Maintenance kit that came with a Repsol T included. More music. Then they stopped it again and I won a Kawasaki Beanie. Geez, it's a message from God - now I have to buy a 750 Gixxer. More music. When they stopped it again they called one of my numbers but I couldn't find my tickets - went through every pocket - nothing.

I told the MC that I could not produce the ticket and I had already won twice so move on the another guest. Lost out on a jacket. I walked out to the bikes and sure as **** I had dropped them when I went to stuff my winnings in my tank bag. I gathered them up and headed back up to the pavilion. BBQ is ready num,num,num! Now I really feel piggy.

Next raffle Randy wins a really nice leather vest. Could have been a little bigger for him but it was really nice. More music. This time around they raffle off a bunch more stuff but the really good stuff is coming up. More jackets, helmets, $250 gift certificate from a bike mechanic, $500 from a transmission shop, $250 from another car shop.

I won a Spidi Air jacket (fits perfect) and Randy won a Repsol Maintenance Kit like I won in the first volley. Out of 10 raffle tickets, I hit on 4 and Randy hit on 2. The guys were pounding on the tables and pointing at us. One guy in the back yelled out we should all stop for lottery tickets on the way home. I think I know who would have touched every ticket.

The day started out really shitty. So thick the fog you couldn't see across the street at 0730. By 1000 it had lifted and the sun was coming on strong. By mid afternoon it was 73F and gorgeous - not a cloud. Winds were nearly calm all day. Traffic on the way back across town was light and my wingman was perfect as usual. We got back to the nursery about 1700 and split-up our loot. What a great day.

As it turns out the young man that we lost was not as squidly as I was lead to believe. 31yo but not very experienced - especially on a borrowed Gixxer1K and especially not at 100+. His parents showed up about midafternoon with a pan of brownies. They were elderly and she had obviously had a stroke as her motor skills indicated such. I think they were overwhelmed by the turnout thinking there would be 8 or 10 people there so everybody could get a brownie. Randy and I sat at the next table to them. They were very pleasant but REALLY out of their element.

A cause for pause.

While I acknowledge when your time is up it's up, I'm way too Renaissance to think that I don't control my own destiny - at least partially. My Mom will be 93 next week. I talked to her earlier in the week. Mom what are you doing? "Oh I just got back from taking the garbage out." She still plants her gardens twice a year with flowers. She's been (legally) blind (mac degen) for nearly a decade. While she does have help come in most days she still lives at home where she retired to decades ago. She is a reminder: Where there is a breath of life - life moves forward.

I think of our pals - just in the last year that could have been just like Rick Lundin. K-D did his knee, Trucker - another knee, L8TR - both bones above the ankle, I don't mean to slight others but - a cause for pause.

Godspeed, my friends.

Last edited by nuhawk; 12-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.