Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

98% of Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
98% of Harleys

Got this in a text the other day from another Honda rider (CBR 929).

"98% of Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home."

Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
he he thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
that's funny, except if you own one. I have been taught disdain for Harleys by my mentor of yesteryear who built my Norton to eat strokers. I also have these feelings for them and other american manufacturers who produce **** for decades and not only charge high prices for inferior products, but need taxpayer dollars on top of that to survive.

To be fair, english bikes weren't that great back in the day with their Lucas electrics, sticking pistons, and **** vibrating loose all the time(the most frequently used part of our tool kits was bailing wire, and that's no joke), but at least they got what they deserved in terms of becoming extinct. Fortunately triumph stepped up and got their **** together to the point that I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was in the market for a new bike.

Last edited by nath981; 06-10-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Fading Fast
Squid

alientestsubject is on a distinguished road
the truth hurts

I dont hate harleys, i hate the people who ride them.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Truthfully now days Harleys build quality is just fine but their engineering r and r is pathetic. They found something profitable and they are going to milk it until dry and not develope the next American icon everyone want to have. There is no creativity over there. I think they fire anyone who want to think outside the box. If Harley made something I liked...

We were having this discussion on the SOHC forum and there are a few people who absolutely love them and where telling the "haters" as they called us, that we hate because we want one. Which isn't true I hate because there is nothing I like, that Harley makes, enough to ever buy. (Although the new xr comes pretty close). So for me the hate or frustration comes from only seeing our biggest American motorcycle company continue to build the same slow heavy machines they have been producing for the last 45 yrs.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
Truthfully now days Harleys build quality is just fine but their engineering r and r is pathetic. They found something profitable and they are going to milk it until dry and not develope the next American icon everyone want to have. There is no creativity over there. I think they fire anyone who want to think outside the box. If Harley made something I liked...

The problem is that when they do (or rather, did) venture out to try to bring some semi-modern tech and thinking to their line-up (witness the V-Rod), their clientele doesn`t buy in. The problem, it's quite obvious, is not so much the engineers (I imagine most of them would LOVE to design something modern) but their client base.

Yep, I agree with alien, it is not so much the bikes I despise as the people who ride them (act as though they have just found God). My response: get a f***in' life loser.......

As for the label "hater" applied to someone who doesn`t care for Milwaukee`s garbage (or rather, is objective enough to see it for what it is), show up at a Harley gathering on anything but a Hog and see what kind of greeting you get. Tell me then who the real haters are........

Last edited by mikstr; 06-10-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Squid

easton24 is on a distinguished road
I ride a harley for a living. I also own 4 motorcycles. Not one of them is a harley. That should tell you something.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by easton24
I ride a harley for a living. I also own 4 motorcycles. Not one of them is a harley. That should tell you something.
lol, that sums it up nicely. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by easton24
I can only think of a few jobs that you'd ride a Harley for a living. Harley test rider, Racer (straight line of course), or a Law Enforcement Officer.

The proof is in your pudding. You ride one, but don't own one. Must say something about them.

Has anyone seen the video that is making it's way around facebook about Harleys?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I owe a Harley as well as many other bikes. Harleys are fun. For all of you that hate Harley riders, I guess that I am on your list. I thought that cops were not supposed to profile.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
MotoGP

Personally, I don`t hate all Harley riders, just the arrogant f***s who look down on me for riding something other than.... Unfortunately (for the decent Hog owners), the proportion of the latter seems abnormally high when compared to the level of snobbism I noticed in other brands (as all brands have their "wouldn`t be caught dead ridin' anything else" crowd)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Squid

easton24 is on a distinguished road
Never said I disliked harley riders. I just dont think harley makes a good bike is all. In fact harley riders come up to me all the time "You ride a harley for a living. Man that must be a great job." Well it is but it would be better with a better bike. Can any one say Honda ST 1300.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
They just hope that you remember them and won't write them a ticket. ***-kissers come in all forms.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I rode 5 hours to "Americade" with 2 Harleys, 1 new Goldwing, 1 mint 78 goldwing, 1 vfr750, 1 honda shadow. The Goldwing guy said he rode harleys for 30 years and he finally had it! Said, "I'm pissed. After all these years nothing new. 600 pounds and 70 HP? WTF?" He loves his goldwing.

Next day I rode home 6 hours in heavy rain on the SH. New Pilot Powers rule. I actually had a blast.

I think I saw one white SH there. A buncha gixxers doin' the "girlfriend on the back screaming up and down the strip thing"

LED's are the rage I guess.

Saw a Boss Hoss park the thing and wait for folks to come up and talk then move a block away and wait for new folks to come up and talk, then repeat all the way down the strip. I got tired just watching him. He must be Scottish.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

[QUOTE=JPP;269804] Next day I rode home 6 hours in heavy rain on the SH. New Pilot Powers rule. I actually had a blast. QUOTE]

glad to hear you're diggin the powers. Can't wait to wear out my Q2s to get a set. of Powers. Q2s are good, but 15lbs for rear tire weight doesn't thrill me at all.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
At my age their arrogance goes nowhere with me and after I take my helmet off they get the picture. I'm just stopping in for a burger and sorry about breaking sound barrier on the decel.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The day Harley makes a bike I can corner without hitting hard parts, stops when I hit the brake and not half an hour later, well... Then I'll consider buying it if it's priced at less than the average house... I have ridden a few well sorted one's and enjoyed it, but they didn't leave the factory that way, way to much funtional parts that wasn't chromed to be stock...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
The day Harley makes a bike I can corner without hitting hard parts, stops when I hit the brake and not half an hour later, well... Then I'll consider buying it if it's priced at less than the average house... I have ridden a few well sorted one's and enjoyed it, but they didn't leave the factory that way, way to much funtional parts that wasn't chromed to be stock...
well your criteria is much weaker than mine in terms of contemplating the purchase of any HD product. Mine would be an initial proclamation of divorce from past manufacturing practices and policies, a statement of new and future directions showing how they were going to provide a superior product at a competitive price, and then I would wait 10 years to see if they did what they said. Oh and change their name to show that they were serious.hahaha
Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I said I'd consider it... Not that I'd buy one... But I'd take it for a testdrive to see if it held up to their promise... The last one I tried at a HD dealership had a few scrapes on some parts when returned, but since they said it could do what it couldn't I told them I'm not paying... Somehow they don't want to let me try any more stuff...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
MotoGP

hahahaha. that sounds like what happened to me. Stopped for bike week at Daytona Beach with my semi, test drove a Harley with those footboards or whatever their called. First corner, leaned it over way to far, scraped the hell out of the left board and almost upset the dam thing. The Harley ride monitor caught me at the next light and suggested i return the bike immediately. i said ok. Turned off at the next light and went for a half hour ride by myself during which i hit the right footboard. He wain't happy when I got back.hahaha
Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
hahahaha. that sounds like what happened to me. Stopped for bike week at Daytona Beach with my semi, test drove a Harley with those footboards or whatever their called. First corner, leaned it over way to far, scraped the hell out of the left board and almost upset the dam thing. The Harley ride monitor caught me at the next light and suggested i return the bike immediately. i said ok. Turned off at the next light and went for a half hour ride by myself during which i hit the right footboard. He wain't happy when I got back.hahaha
no doubt, you had spoiled all that precious chrome, lol
Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
Most of my riding is with my pilot buddy who rides a Road King. I guess he likes slow when he aint working! It's amazing how many HOG riders blow me off and then give him the wave right behind me, seems a 'Hawk aint worthy enough.
Riding a Harley doesn't make you an *******. Being an ******* does.
BTW nath, nice Norton. If the vibes become too bad for you i'll take her off your hands!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Yeah they do, it's called a Buell.... oh wait....
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by majordomo490
Most of my riding is with my pilot buddy who rides a Road King. I guess he likes slow when he aint working! It's amazing how many HOG riders blow me off and then give him the wave right behind me, seems a 'Hawk aint worthy enough.
Riding a Harley doesn't make you an *******. Being an ******* does.
BTW nath, nice Norton. If the vibes become too bad for you i'll take her off your hands!
thanks major, but it's not mine. It belongs to an old friend who bought it off the another local guy. He had the engine rebuilt, took the megaphones (which i worked so hard to flatten draggin them on the pavement), primered the tank, and removed the little fibergalss seat with the the little air spoiler on the back. Other than that it's pretty much the same as I left it.