Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Yoshimura RS-3 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk Zyclone Dual Stainless Steel Slip-On Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Squid

Woody42181 is on a distinguished road
Yoshimura RS-3 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk Zyclone Dual Stainless Steel Slip-On Exhaust

I have a used set of Yoshimura RS-3 Stainless slip-ons off my 2003 Superhawk. The bike has 2200 miles on it, the exhaust has under 1000 miles on them. Very clean. No dents, dings or gouges. I would like to sell these to get a set of hi-mount carbon fiber cans. $350 shipped. I can email more photos upon request.

Sold!

Last edited by Woody42181; 03-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I have read carbon fiber cans are not the way to go on this bike.

I have the RS-3 on my bike and they sound good. Louder than stock, without being crazy loud.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Where in the USA are you? I am in Phoenix AZ.

I want to get some quieter pipes, I have MIG carbon fiber high mounts, they are not perfect but are functional. If you are local perhaps we can work something out? (if not, I am sure someone else will want your Yosh pipes)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona

I have the RS-3 on my bike and they sound good. Louder than stock, without being crazy loud.
+1 & low mts r better with side bags, passengers & tipovers..

CF & big VTs r not the best combo...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
I was going to go with carbon fiber until I read up on it. I've been riding about 12,000 miles a year and didn't want to be rewrapping the cans every year or so.

If you don't ride much, they might work for you though.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have about 20k on mine and no issues yet, still look/sound the same.

But these Migs are make of thick CF (thick enough to have embedded nuts as mount points) and have no baffles in them (just a big perforated tube with fiber packing around it) so the pressure goes right out.. That makes them LOUD but they do seem durable.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Squid

To those who have asked, I'm located in cleveland, oh.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Banned
Back Marker

SuperBlink is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
I have about 20k on mine and no issues yet, still look/sound the same.

But these Migs are make of thick CF (thick enough to have embedded nuts as mount points) and have no baffles in them (just a big perforated tube with fiber packing around it) so the pressure goes right out.. That makes them LOUD but they do seem durable.

That was the first word (in a post above yours) I ever hear about varbon fiber pipes being bad for any bike! Then I was like oh ****, I've got Carbon Migs on mine, OH ****!

So what gives? What's the big deal with carbon exhaust and big liter twin bikes?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperBlink
That was the first word (in a post above yours) I ever hear about varbon fiber pipes being bad for any bike! Then I was like oh ****, I've got Carbon Migs on mine, OH ****!

So what gives? What's the big deal with carbon exhaust and big liter twin bikes?
Well... First off one part is a general thing for all CF pipes... The wool that reduces sound also acts as a heatguard internally for the CF... When it gets worn out and you can hear the pipes getting louder, the CF is going to get to hot, and the resin will start to dry & crack... The end result is a softer and softer CF tube, to the point where you essentially have no resin on the inside of the tube... At that point you either loose the endcaps since the rivets eat through the CF, or the tube itself looses shape... Now keep in mind, this is the extreme endpoint, you should most defintely catch it before this...

Second part, a big twin have two big cylinders... That means larger exhaust pulses with more pulse-dead-pulse than 4 small pots... In combination with the above, the twin will quite literally rip apart a CF can if it is weakened by enough heat...

But the fact is, if you neglect to re-pack the CF pipes at reasonable intervalls you hurt the material, something that doesn't happen with alu, stainless or titanium... So the packing is not only for soundlevels... Check the pipe by grabbing it with the whole hand and squeezing... It should be unflexible, very little give... The resin should also be clear, without cracks... With age it turns yellow, which is natural, but if it's turning milky yellow it's a warning sign, either too much sun, or too much heat...
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Squid

OldGuy is on a distinguished road
I have 70,000+ kilometers (43,000+ miles) on my Yoshimura RS-3 Zyclone Carbon-Fibre slip-ons. Absolutely no problems with my carbon fibre. Never been re-packed. Seem as quiet now as when new.

There are different grades/qualities of carbon fibre; Yoshimura uses top-notch carbon fiber. I would suspect any issues with carbon fibre on other brands of exhaust are due to lesser quality than that used by Yoshimura.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr
+1 & low mts r better with side bags, passengers & tipovers..

CF & big VTs r not the best combo...
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have 70,000+ kilometers (43,000+ miles) on my Yoshimura RS-3 Zyclone Carbon-Fibre slip-ons. Absolutely no problems with my carbon fibre. Never been re-packed. Seem as quiet now as when new.

There are different grades/qualities of carbon fibre; Yoshimura uses top-notch carbon fiber. I would suspect any issues with carbon fibre on other brands of exhaust are due to lesser quality than that used by Yoshimura.
43k!!! w-o repacking? Do they use a lot of SS wool & G-ds gift to cans? Even ceramic fiber gets clogged though does not "burn" perse.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Squid

Pics of the silencers.
Attached Thumbnails Yoshimura RS-3 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk Zyclone Dual Stainless Steel Slip-On Exhaust-superhawk-01.jpg   Yoshimura RS-3 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk Zyclone Dual Stainless Steel Slip-On Exhaust-superhawk-02.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by OldGuy

I agree absolutely that there are different qualities, and generally you get what you pay for... But the simple fact is that you cannot make CF slipon that isn't vulnerable to those same conditions... It's impossible... Top-notch or not, give it enough miles and they will fail unless they are re-packed... That part isn't opinion or conjecture, it's fact...

How many miles it takes for the various models are mostly guesswork, nobody knows for a fact... The only "tells" are the noise level which is hard to spot if it's a very slow and gradual change, and the cracks/softness... Since that is when they are already hurting, and slip-ons aren't that cheap, it might be a good idea too avoid it going that far...

I'm not saying yours need re-packing... I'm saying they eventually will... And those are high'ish numbers on CF cans...

Now, this is a so, back too Woody...
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Squid

All this anti-CF talk is making me rethink the whole carbon high mount idea. I had a CF Yoshi on my Bandt 1200 and I loved it. kept cooler than the SS can. But I only had 6800 miles on the bike when i sold it.
Maybe titanium instead.
But i've only heard of people who knew a guy who knew a guy that had problems wih a CF exhaust. I've never talked to a guy that actually had issues.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

I'm not anti CF in any way... I have had CF pipes on other bikes and was happy with them... I have however personally witnessed that a VTR can tear apart CF pipes (and it's pretty well known problem amongst Ducati's) and I made the choice not to buy CF pipes for mine...

I helped a friend look for a very wierd exhaust sound that turned out to be a cracking/soft pipe... That pipe was soft enough to break apart when I grabbed the pipe... Another friend blew the end cap of his Termignoni's on a 999 Duc when he started it up... That was weakened enough by vibration and or heat that the rivets sheared the CF...
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Squid

Am I wrong to think $400 shipped is not a fair price for 1 year old pipes with less than 1000 miles on them?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
I have the carbon ones listed for the same $$- and they prob have the same use- I am holding out- i have faith that after the tax returns start coming in- spending will increase
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

All depends on condition and interest from the buyers... If they are in top condition, it's not unreasonable, but that doesn't really matter if no-one want's to buy them...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Squid

I'd like to put $350 in my pocket to put toward the new pipes. Shipping exhaust pipes is not a great thing. Cuts the profit dramatically.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Squid

Shoot me an offer and your location.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i really like these cans,i wish i could take them off your hands,this is exactly what im looking for,but i fell on bad fortune
even after getting my tax money,i just dont think i could get them.
but we will see what luck i have.so i hope you have them for a bit.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Squid

If anyone is traveling to the Cleveland motorcycle show this weekend and has interest, let me know. I can meet you near the IX center and eliminate shipping costs.
$325 delivered to the IX center.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Squid

Buyer backed out. Still for sale. $350 shipped.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Squid

J Bragg is on a distinguished road
are you including the mid pipes? how much do they weigh? just trying to get a figure for weight savings over the stock cans
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Squid

stangy89 is on a distinguished road
I've got full Jardine high mounts... do you think these cans would fit on my existing mid pipes? My Jardine cans are beat to heck.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
The only "tells" are the noise level which is hard to spot if it's a very slow and gradual change, and the cracks/softness...

I'm not saying yours need re-packing... I'm saying they eventually will... And those are high'ish numbers on CF cans...
Besides making a Db level check as a "baseline" when new and then periodically as indicated thereafter, another way to determine the condition of the "packing" is to take baseline temperature readings at various set points along & around each can. As Tweety stated, the packing acts as an insulator and as the fiber is burned/blown out the pipe, the can surface temperature will increase. I have not checked but any good pipe mfgr should be able to tell you what the maximum operating limit is for any of their CF (and Ti) cans; i.e., what temp not to exceed. BTW, if the OE header/Y-section pipes are used, even with the internal "restriction" cut/ground away, one can always runs significantly hotter than the other (can't remember which). I always wrap the can cores with stainless steel wool & then a ceramic fiber batt rather than a fiberglass based fiber. The ceramic can withstand temps much higher than they are exposed to in the can and while this type of material is denser and may not reduce Db as well, it also does not "cake" up with carbon as much as fiberglass. I've removed the cores out of my aluminum 2Bros C2 cans and while I replaced the ceramic packing as long as it was exposed, after 20,000 miles I could have just brushed off the carbon & reinstalled them as was.

Last edited by skokievtr; 02-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Squid

motogomojo is on a distinguished road
Thanks again for these Woody42181!!!

Items were exactly as described (practically brand new) and were packaged well.

I mounted these up yesterday and I am EXTREMELY happy with them.
They look and sound Awesome!
The front wheel comes up even quicker now....

I will post pics soon.