Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

WTB blue Drive Chain Adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

19superchicken98 is on a distinguished road
WTB blue Drive Chain Adjusters

Looking for a set of blue if possible blue chain adjusters, maybe where to get them if no one has them, I can't find em anywhere =/
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
You won't find any because no one makes them (God knows I have searched high and low, all to no avail). If you know of someone who makes them, please share.....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by mikstr
You won't find any because no one makes them (God knows I have searched high and low, all to no avail). If you know of someone who makes them, please share.....
A local shop here has them, I'll stop by and see who makes them. I would buy them but they want almost $200 LOL fat chance.. I'd paint mine before that.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Back Marker

PSR Makes them. I'm going to see if they make them for the VTR if not, something close that will fit.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
PSR Chain Adjuster - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Though the customer review doesn't sound too good:

I put these on my 2006 CBR 1000rr and within 1 week they started to bend and almost broke off from the inside of the swingarm. I took off and put the oem back on. Tried to contact the company and had no luck in reaching them to tell them what happened so I have an expensive paper weight.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Back Marker

I guess I'll sand blast mine and paint mine blue.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
if only i had a bridgeport... people are asking waaaaaaaaaaay too much for stuff than could be easily done on a bridgeport with a 2 axis accu-write control, hell even a manual mill. and then the stuff they sell still has vast amounts of room for improvement...
sorry, kind of a rant there.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I guess Im a bit confused.

Chain adjusters? The thin stamped steel assembly's
Name:  chainadjusters_zpse9ceaa60.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  27.3 KB

And folks are wanting to have these made from aluminum, anodized blue?
Further, thinking that can be easily made on a manual, home shop type mill?

If someone has a few pics of the aftermarket aluminum ones available for the VTR, I'd love to see the pics.

If they exist, Im betting I can tell you why they are worth what ever the asking price is...
Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

And unavailable.
Unavailable - Please select email option to be notified when available.
Did you see they listed an application for the VTR? Cant select that now, I assume because they are unavailable. ?

At the PSR retailer..
Name:  PSRchainadjuster_zps06664341.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  44.4 KB

It looks as if there is no application for the VTR?

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-01-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
There are no application for the VTR... Have never been any made by any company I know of... And I believe hawk knew that very well, the point being about the construction itself of the aftermarket adjuster... Same as you eluded too...

The CBR type of adjuster is completely different, being a single sided part, that sits in a recess on the outside of the swingarm... The VTR adjuster sits over the end, with the bolt fastened to/resting on the end of it... Not at all the same, so I'm not at all surprised the aftermarket companies haven't adapted their design to make it fit...

So, no... You guys won't find anything "close enough" to fit... And I highly doubt an aluminium piece will be good enough to do replace the OEM one... There's a reason the stock one's are fairly imprecise, and the loads on it are completely different than on the CBR design, so I'd probably not recommend an aftermarket alu one even if one existed... It's bad enough in the CBR type...

The stock parts for the RC swingarm is made from large, chunky alu pieces, considerably beefier than those made for the CBR... And they might not be pretty, but the work, and they work a hell of a lot better than the VTR one's as well... I still need a caliper or steel scale to get the wheel square, but there is considerably less slop...

Best option is probably to powdercoat the stock item in whatever color you want... That works, a whole lot better than aftermarket pieces...
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
As I had mentioned before, I looked high and low for a set of aftermarket adjusters and no one makes them for the VTR (unless it`s someone one-off custom piece)........

(Not being overly partial to chrome) I just picked up a set on eBay and had them powdercoated (semi-gloss black, to match my swingarm; painted the screw black with Tremclad). To take up the slack in the adjustment mechanism, I inserted a flat (blue Ti) M10 washer between the adjuster bracket and the circlip on the screw (perfect fit), no more slop. I will install them next tire change (in a few weeks).....
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez

And folks are wanting to have these made from aluminum, anodized blue?
Further, thinking that can be easily made on a manual, home shop type mill?

If they exist, Im betting I can tell you why they are worth what ever the asking price is...
Sorry, more so a rant on the price i heard and picturei saw at the beginning. vtr aside, why would that one be difficult to mill? and I still don't see where the huge markup is. Normal job- shop rates are $90/ hr. That piece would take 20 mins at most and then anodizing cost. Still dont see where a $200 pricetag is even fathomable.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by shake-n-bake
vtr aside, why would that one be difficult to mill?
You said..
"hell even a manual mill" Have you run one? Have you made a part like what is required for the VTR? If you think you can make those parts easily on a manual mil quickly, and bring them to market t a fair price.. Go for it.
My experience with 3 million dollar Haas to a $2500 3-1 lathe / Mil says otherwise.

and I still don't see where the huge markup is. Normal job- shop rates are $90/ hr. That piece would take 20 mins at most and then anodizing cost. Still dont see where a $200 pricetag is even fathomable.
Retail going price was $158 or so.
And why is it worth it? Simple.. Can you make one?

Not in theory, but right now... can you design and build one? If not.. well that's why it's worth the fair market price it is set at...and apparently the market will accept..... Cuz others are in the same boat.... they cant make one at home or at work after hours, so the option is to buy.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
You said..
"hell even a manual mill" Have you run one? Have you made a part like what is required for the VTR? If you think you can make those parts easily on a manual mil quickly, and bring them to market t a fair price.. Go for it.
My experience with 3 million dollar Haas to a $2500 3-1 lathe / Mil says otherwise.

Retail going price was $158 or so.
And why is it worth it? Simple.. Can you make one?

Not in theory, but right now... can you design and build one? If not.. well that's why it's worth the fair market price it is set at...and apparently the market will accept..... Cuz others are in the same boat.... they cant make one at home or at work after hours, so the option is to buy.
wasnt trying to start a pissin match brochacho. perhaps the main thing lost on forums is voice inflection. no ill feelings intended

i too come from a background of a multi-million dollar Haas 5 axis VMC(current job programming, set up, and operation), ikegai slantbed with an old fanuc 18i control, bunch of manual and conversational retrofited mills and lathes, and did a decent stretch as a toolmaker doing deep drawn cans, precision diaphragms, and prog dies. all run in the presses. so even if one were to redesign it and stamp it out in a die shoe, i still dont see the reason such a steep price for something who's cycle time and/or production time would be quick enough to make it advantageous to bump profit with quantity over high price limited runs. i understand lean manufacturing and its all about the almighty dollar, but (like i said this is just me) i dont see that piece being over $70 for the pair.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

wasnt trying to start a pissin match brochacho. perhaps the main thing lost on forums is voice inflection. no ill feelings intended

i too come from a background of a multi-million dollar Haas 5 axis VMC(current job programming, set up, and operation), ikegai slantbed with an old fanuc 18i control, bunch of manual and conversational retrofited mills and lathes, and did a decent stretch as a toolmaker doing deep drawn cans, precision diaphragms, and prog dies. all run in the presses. so even if one were to redesign it and stamp it out in a die shoe, i still dont see the reason such a steep price for something who's cycle time and/or production time would be quick enough to make it advantageous to bump profit with quantity over high price limited runs. i understand lean manufacturing and its all about the almighty dollar, but (like i said this is just me) i dont see that piece being over $70 for the pair.

Your right, 2D forum speak lost something in the translation, As I too meant no animosity..

High cost "I Think" comes from a very limited market (and production) to absorb designers, programmers, machines, marketing, retailers time, as well as machine time and materials cost.

But I get it, you look at it and think,, that's an hour of programming with a coffee break thrown in,, about $5 in materials (or free if there is a drop laying around from another completed job) and a few minutes of machine time..... How THE hell can they be asking $160 or more for that thing....

Then I remember I no longer have access to a 3, 4 or 7 axis mil center, and my little home lathe and mill just aint going to cut it (pun intended) and now,,, it kind of becomes worth it... we'll not for me... but for someone.

I was playing with solidworks last night. And I think a 5 piece design is possible.

1&2:Titanium or Stainless for the side plates that engage and locate the axle.
3: Aluminum, Titanium or Stainless for the the "rear block" which the side plates would attach to, and be threaded for a screw.
4:Screw, applies pressure to the swing arm to locate it.
5:Snap ring to retain the screw in the rear block.

There is absolutely NO REASON to build this Other then because. It will not do a better job of locating the axle position then the cheap stamped steel version.
It will not be as durable.
It will not be worth the cost...

And I may try to make a set anyway.
Cost to the public.... $100 million dollars (my spare time is worth a lot to me)